Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

You said in an earlier post that you don´t use focus-stacking for your images, but how do you achieve the fantasic depth of field in your images?

This may sound silly, but I just compose a shot, fiddle with manual setting on the camera till the exposure  looks right to me, and fire away. It is a very good little camera, so it deserves any credit really.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is my memory playing tricks? Grandad used to take me out on simmer evenings for a couple pf houts at Offord LC, Sandy, Abbots Ripton etc. I well remember Deltic D9004 when it was brand new, always on the Aberdonian for months at about 8.20pm through Offord (not far behind D0280 on the Pullman). But what I seem to remember was the last coach of the Aberdonian was a catering vehicle of some sort? Obvoiusly a tad later than 1958, but does anyone else remember this.

Stewart

Your memory is very good Stewart. The Winter 1959 book shows the last vehicle of the Aberdonian to be a Restaurant Unclasssified. It appears to have been either detached or locked on arrival at York a little while before midnight. It seems the same or a very similar formation ran in Deltic days, but I don't have an official CWN as late as that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Your memory is very good Stewart. The Winter 1959 book shows the last vehicle of the Aberdonian to be a Restaurant Unclasssified. It appears to have been either detached or locked on arrival at York a little while before midnight. It seems the same or a very similar formation ran in Deltic days, but I don't have an official CWN as late as that.

I can't claim to remember it, but such a vehicle was shown in the carriage workings for many years. It served dinner for the Aberdonian punters, and was detached at York and returned empty. By the early sixties this was a Mark 1, but for most, if not all, of the fifties it was a rather unusual Gresley D.11 restaurant car which had a larger saloon and smaller kitchen than the standard D.10C. No kit is available AFAIK, but I'm trying to work out whether one can cut and shut Kirk kits to produce one.

In the '57/58 period when the Aberdonian title switched to a later train, I think this Restaurant car duty disappeared.

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

you've done it again, nicked a prototype picture, photoshopped in a light fitting (albeit I only noticed it on a second look) and you're trying to tell us it's the model ....

post-98-0-92086100-1490861533_thumb.jpg

Just love this :-)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I haven't noticed it before but the B17 appears to have boiler band lining directly on a boiler without raised boiler bands. Now that really is a good move on RTR locos.

That one is a Mike Edge scratchbuild with a Rathbone paint job, Larry, comissioned at a time when Hornby only did tender drive B17s. It shows how far they have come if this one can be compared with the latest RTR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do feel rather spoilt with all the B17 pics of late. Was a 9F on the parcels a regular occurrence? Perhaps that's where the idea of running one at 90 mph on a passenger service may have started if a crew were allowed to give one its head on Class C workings.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I do feel rather spoilt with all the B17 pics of late. Was a 9F on the parcels a regular occurrence? Perhaps that's where the idea of running one at 90 mph on a passenger service may have started if a crew were allowed to give one its head on Class C workings.

Cheers

Tony

Both New England and Doncaster 9Fs took over more and more parcels and ECS workings as the last batch came into service, but I don't think they were tightly timed. The 90mph episode was, at the time, unique, as that 9F had only been put on a SO Peterborough service because the cupboard was bare at KX. Maybe Top Shed expected Grantham to substitute something more suitable for the Class A return part of the diagram, but it didn't happen. I've read that the driver who achieved 90mph claimed that he "thought he was driving a Britannia", when the enquiries began.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The signals in black are now looking so real, Gilbert. It is worth the effort that you are putting into them. The carriages look splendid, and that Bachmann Thompson, is sublime. And what a good example of a filthy B1.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

G'day Gents.

I won't have any newer Hornby mainline Gresley coaches on my layout, although I run the older Hornby Gresley, at least they have a tumblehome, give me 'Kirks' any day.

manna

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents.

I won't have any newer Hornby mainline Gresley coaches on my layout, although I run the older Hornby Gresley, at least they have a tumblehome, give me 'Kirks' any day.

manna

It wouldn't take much to persuade me to take the same view, frankly. The new Thompsons have really brought it home to me what a bad miss that was on Hornby's part.

That one is a Mike Edge scratchbuild with a Rathbone paint job, Larry, comissioned at a time when Hornby only did tender drive B17s. It shows how far they have come if this one can be compared with the latest RTR.

Thanks. I must be getting old or used to RTR, as I never noticed the Romford driving wheel centres even. Thanks to your pictures, I bought a latest Thompson corridor brake third. I wanted an E.Region through coach and a RTR Thompson saved me building a Gresley on a Hornby donor roof and chassis. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2