Peterborough North

great northern

I thought our agile photographer had shinned up one of those redundant canopy support pillars but looking at the alignment of the tracks I now think it more likely that he's on the roof of a van in the bay, or has climbed on to the tender of a parked loco'. Naughty boy, if he gets caught they will likely ban him from the station and all future photos will have to be taken from one of the bridges. :O

It only takes one to make it worse for all trainspotters.......

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

It seems to me that your attitude to accuracy and compromise is spot on. You have attempted to portray a real place in a space which is not big enough*. Having accepted that some compromises are therefore inevitable your recreation of the scene at PN is admirable. If the chief way for one to spot deviations is a close comparison between photographs of the model and what existed there in '57 then I would argue that you have a winner. As a convincing backdrop to operating the ECML timetable of the time, well I for one are envious.

*Have you ever worked out just how much bigger the room would have to be to portray the station exactly to scale - say between the two overbridges?

Chaz

That is exactly what Peter was saying on Sunday.  It looks right even with all the compromise, so I'm more than satisfied with that. Actually, lengthwise it isn't all that short. I think Andy Y and I worked out from Google earth that the prototype distance scales to about 28 feet, whilst I have 24. It is the width which is further out, as can be seen by checking the pitch of my overall roof against that of the real thing. All in all though it has come out really well.

Ian,

did you mean the arseh  OLE

Now, now, no need to descend to the lavatorial, old chap! (Although our intrepid photographer might have need to descend to the lavatory if he had been spotted)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The increasing visibility of the marvellous structures at PN in recent posts is hardly a disappointment, surely. Without them the fine trains would be running on beautifully laid and ballasted track in a desert. Peter L's work gives the place its distinctive character. The trains may be the principal actors - but the structures are their stage.

I agree with you entirely Ian. I could look at Peter's buildings for ever, and I can't and won't resist the temptation to point the camera at them. It's just that I suspect some people would prefer to see trains. The layout would be impossible without Peter's wonderful work, and I'm so fortunate to have benefitted from his talent and committment to the project.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So, we have one more sort of abstract image.

post-98-0-54178900-1491513357_thumb.jpg

Very simple, but it has character, and when I showed it to Peter he agreed, so it must be OK. Then its back to the next day's shoot, and to Quicksilver in black and white.

post-98-0-13592400-1491513504_thumb.jpg

I like pictures with impact, and this one has some.

• Like 19

So, we have one more sort of abstract image.

attachicon.gifcoaches.JPG

Very simple, but it has character, and when I showed it to Peter he agreed, so it must be OK. Then its back to the next day's shoot, and to Quicksilver in black and white.

attachicon.gif15 2.JPG

I like pictures with impact, and this one has some.

The lamps you have on #15 look spot on. I know you were having problems with some oversized jobs but those look very good.

A double slip and an interlaced in shot - excellent. One quibble - why "abstract"?

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

The lamps you have on #15 look spot on. I know you were having problems with some oversized jobs but those look very good.

A double slip and an interlaced in shot - excellent. One quibble - why "abstract"?

Chaz

Good quibble. I searched for a word to describe what I was trying to do, and found the wrong one. :blush:  The lamps are Dave Frank's latest, and are very good indeed.

• RMweb Premium

I have two more images left, but after a quick trip to the club to resolve a problem, I will be able to get into the railway room for the first time in several days. Quicksilver features again in both, with the added bonus of a background B17 in the second one.

post-98-0-16383400-1491552424_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-89851000-1491552459_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

More trains have run, and the first of them produced another A4, the morning Up Nottingham being a KX top link working. Today it is Gannet bringing the service into the Up platform for its scheduled stop.

post-98-0-19898000-1491581416_thumb.jpg

Another minor triumph, in that I have been able to make up the correct formation of this train from loose stock, rather than using the formation of the earlier Grantham buffet car service. Nottingham passengers get a MK1 FK, but no catering cars.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Today I decided to experiment with a new food source, vegetarian sausages. It was an experience I shall not repeat. Even a gannet might baulk at these things. Speaking of which, this one has got a little closer.

post-98-0-52750900-1491599647_thumb.jpg

and then closer still.

post-98-0-15159900-1491599699_thumb.jpg

I've left this as the camera saw it, as it was proving rather difficult to photoshop successfully.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I tried vegetarian sausages and burgers once, tasted like cardboard though not sure how I know what cardboard tastes like.

Cardboard tastes like quinoa - or possibly vice versa.

I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

I hope to get a Canon as well, but it would also be for lineside photography on my namesake railway. Mobile phone cameras are all right, but when it's dark you lose the resolution, which is bad for photo charters and atmospheric photos.

• RMweb Premium

A night spent rolling around with terrible indigestion. ******* vegeterian sausages. :ireful:  One more view of 60032, full length of the engine this time.

post-98-0-75234300-1491640976_thumb.jpg

And after the A4 departed, the signalman allowed 43108 to return from Nene sidings via the Up main, so as to access the engine road to New England north of the station.

post-98-0-35751600-1491641108_thumb.jpg

Funny how just about every photo taken at this end includes that B17, isn't it?

• Like 17

Next shot shows the Ivatt 4 about to pass the last somersault signal at PN, as I know some people like to see it in the off position.

attachicon.gifIvatt 2.JPG

and then at the other end the second morning slow from KX, the 5.50am, arrives behind Doncaster A1 Amadis, while the pilot does a bit of shunting in the background.

attachicon.gif149 and N5.JPG

"the last somersault signal at PN.....some people like to see it in the off position."  Include me on that list. There were lots of reminders of pre-grouping days dotted about in the fifties. Of course if you allow bridges and tunnels there are still.

I know the modern railway is far more efficient, but it does seem a shame that so much is swept away - inevitable but sad.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Another glorious morning here, following a day when golf could be played wearing July's clothing, and a beer sitting out on the patio at 6.30pm. Back to 12c tomorrow though. No such climatic extremes at PN though, as we get another view of 60149 and the N5, but from a different angle.

post-98-0-55188300-1491730012_thumb.jpg

followed by the classic black and white view of Amadis emerging from under the roof.

post-98-0-02089000-1491730121_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Gilbert.

Re your indigestion.

Gaviscon workes but is an over expensive rip off compared to el cheapo Rennies which do exactly what they say on the packet.

Failing that however, and especially in  the middle of the night, a cup of hot water drunk as hot as possible works almost instant wonders. Drink it sitting upright, give it a few minutes, then a few long, loud burps will signal the end of your indigestion/heartburn as it neutralizes the acid. This I found out in hospital last week when the bloody night nurse wouldn't give me anything for a vicious bout of hospital sandwich  induced heartburn ! 

Hope this helps.

Allan