Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

"the last somersault signal at PN.....some people like to see it in the off position."  Include me on that list. There were lots of reminders of pre-grouping days dotted about in the fifties. Of course if you allow bridges and tunnels there are still.

I know the modern railway is far more efficient, but it does seem a shame that so much is swept away - inevitable but sad.

Chaz

I was delighted when I saw the picture of that signal, and the caption confirmed it as the last somersault. I'd had it built for the loft layout, just for purely nostalgic reasons, and it was great to find that I could legitimately use it again. To be honest, I'd have slipped it in somewhere, even if it wasn't prototypically correct.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert.

Re your indigestion.

Gaviscon workes but is an over expensive rip off compared to el cheapo Rennies which do exactly what they say on the packet.

Failing that however, and especially in  the middle of the night, a cup of hot water drunk as hot as possible works almost instant wonders. Drink it sitting upright, give it a few minutes, then a few long, loud burps will signal the end of your indigestion/heartburn as it neutralizes the acid. This I found out in hospital last week when the bloody night nurse wouldn't give me anything for a vicious bout of hospital sandwich  induced heartburn ! 

Hope this helps.

Allan

Thanks Allan. trouble is, I'd then keep waking up to get rid of the water. First step is to lay off the veggie sausages.

Today I decided to experiment with a new food source, vegetarian sausages. It was an experience I shall not repeat. Even a gannet might baulk at these things. Speaking of which, this one has got a little closer.

32 2.JPG

and then closer still.

32 3.JPG

I've left this as the camera saw it, as it was proving rather difficult to photoshop successfully.

Sometimes it's nice to see it how it actually looks. It reminds me that this layout is actually real and not some magical place...although it is quite magical :)

• RMweb Premium

How have I never noticed the somersault before?  What a splendid signal.

Another vote for Rennies here, always have some to hand.  Usually curry and red wine to blame, if I stick to beer with curry I'm OK.  The only thing is, this has reminded me alcohol hasn't passed my lips for nigh on 2 months.  :-(

The N5 and signal have cheered me up though!

• RMweb Premium

The signalman's log has now been corrected.

post-98-0-86715800-1491773211_thumb.jpg

Amadis is in fact running through non stop with a relief to the 8.00am Down Leeds. Meanwhile a very short parcels has been brought down from New England by a tender first J6, and has been propelled into number 1 bay. It has to be a very short parcels train, as the bay will only hold five bogies.

post-98-0-80674900-1491773358_thumb.jpg

I rather like the view along and through the main platforms on this one.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a slightly strange occurence. Sitting here at the PC, I became aware of a thrush which repeatedly flew into my downstairs window, and bounced off. It did this at least five times beore finally flying off. I then had occasion to visit my bathroom, which is upstairs, and on the other side of the house, and it, or its twin brother, then flew into that window three times. Is it out to get me?

Back to railways, and another shot of the J6 simmering in the bay.

post-98-0-83841300-1491813200_thumb.jpg

And then we do see the 5.50am slow from KX as it approaches Platform 6 for a somewhat protracted stop.

post-98-0-17821800-1491813301_thumb.jpg

The aerial bombardment seems to have stopped. Is it safe to go outside now? I have to go to the Chiropractor shortly.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Insects on the glass?

Possibly Jonathan. I hadn't thought of that. I just couldn't figure out why it would want to continue banging its head, or more likely its beak, against something which wouldn't give way. They normally only do it once. Where's that Mallard chappie? He should be the authority on this.

Hitchcock made a film about that stuff, Gilbert. Be afraid.

I remember that film well Ian, and I was afraid. Chilling stuff, that was.

I'm rather into ornithology, and I remember seeing a sparrow flying all around the outside of a window of my house to try and catch an insect flying around on the inside of the window! That could have been the explanation.

I've just had a slightly strange occurence. Sitting here at the PC, I became aware of a thrush which repeatedly flew into my downstairs window, and bounced off. It did this at least five times beore finally flying off. I then had occasion to visit my bathroom, which is upstairs, and on the other side of the house, and it, or its twin brother, then flew into that window three times. Is it out to get me?

Back to railways, and another shot of the J6 simmering in the bay.

attachicon.gifJ6 2.JPG

And then we do see the 5.50am slow from KX as it approaches Platform 6 for a somewhat protracted stop.

attachicon.gifJ6 and 109.JPG

The aerial bombardment seems to have stopped. Is it safe to go outside now? I have to go to the Chiropractor shortly.

Aggressive territorial behaviour directed against its (reflected) rival.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Pedant mode?

Isn't it UP from New England to PN?

Lovely pics nevertheless.

Stewart

I knew when I typed it that I was going to be in trouble. That's why I put Down when referring to the official classification of train, but up, lower case, when referring to the J6. I was never going to get away with it though.

• RMweb Premium

Aggressive territorial behaviour directed against its (reflected) rival.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hadn't thought of that John. So, it sees itself, dive bombs, comes back a bit later to see if rival has gone, repeats attack, and so on. It'll have an awfully sore beak eventually though.

• RMweb Premium

I'm out of my depth with all this Up and Down stuff now, so we'll have another photo instead. I had another go at that prototype photo of the B17 at the coaling stage, but it didn't come out anything like the real thing. Still a rather nice picture though.

post-98-0-68303200-1491839936_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Possibly Jonathan. I hadn't thought of that. I just couldn't figure out why it would want to continue banging its head, or more likely its beak, against something which wouldn't give way. They normally only do it once. Where's that Mallard chappie? He should be the authority on this.

I remember that film well Ian, and I was afraid. Chilling stuff, that was.

Might it have been a dimbo Juvenile Blackbird wot looks quite like a speckled Turdus? They be inexperienced about glass and stuff and it might have been out on one of the first flights and it knew not where its' parents were?

O. R. Nithologist

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather into ornithology, and I remember seeing a sparrow flying all around the outside of a window of my house to try and catch an insect flying around on the inside of the window! That could have been the explanation.

Are we to understand that Gilbert might look like an insect................................................... on the inside of the window(s)?

A. Fly.

Are we to understand that Gilbert might look like an insect................................................... on the inside of the window(s)?

A. Fly.

No, but let's face it birds (apart from crows and hawks) aren't the most intelligent creatures, and windows can often confuse them, especially when it comes to reflection.