Peterborough North

great northern

Getting paid for doing nothing. Nicely placed for a walk up the platform for refreshments too. I don't think they would be in any hurry.

Perhaps they didn't want to use a shovel. I'll be cooking bacon on the shovel later this year for breakfast, so any advice would be most welcome.

(But before you do, please don't go into the business as to why some DIDN'T cook on the shovel).

• Like 1

Perhaps they didn't want to use a shovel. I'll be cooking bacon on the shovel later this year for breakfast, so any advice would be most welcome.

(But before you do, please don't go into the business as to why some DIDN'T cook on the shovel).

I think you will find that the word "business" is significant ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium

So, we now have the stock for the 1033 slow occupying the only Up platform, and so anything else going that way has to cross to the slow, as Dante is doing with a Craigentiny- KX goods Class C.

post-98-0-95480900-1493416386_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the signal, which is going to have to be replaced, as it has been clouted once too often.

• Like 14

Dante has now reached the end of the Up slow, and is about to cross the formation again to get back to the correct side of things.

attachicon.gif513 other end.JPG

Whilst the shuttle service is brought up from East behind a lovely little engine.

attachicon.gifJ15 1.JPG

Whilst I must agree that the J15 is a lovely little engine it is difficult to love the monstrosity sticking out from below the buffer beam. I think I might be tempted to remove it and avoid running the loco' tender first - you could even fit it with a proper coupling then - just a thought....

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I must agree that the J15 is a lovely little engine it is difficult to love the monstrosity sticking out from below the buffer beam. I think I might be tempted to remove it and avoid running the loco' tender first - you could even fit it with a proper coupling then - just a thought....

Chaz

Yes, it has to go.For some reason it looks even more obtrusive than most. I do want to be able to run this tender first though, so some kind of substitute will be needed. It looked even worse in the next shot, so I cropped most of it out.

post-98-0-01408700-1493500503_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

It is a lovely day, and there are little white balls to be pursued, and perhaps even to be watched diving gracefully into ponds. Before first trying to unravel my back, which didn't like either the insertion of plants or the removal of pond weed, and then going in pursuit of said golf balls, here are some more pictures. A rear three quarter view of 61073 shows that even Mr Thompson could get some things to look graceful.

1073 2.JPG

though of course the heritage of the loco goes all the way back to Ivatt. Then we have the first of the promised "not a loco in sight" shots.

wagons.JPG

This is the formation behind that WD, minerals as usual at the front, with some empty bogie bolsters tacked on behind. And it is quite a nice view really, though it would be better if I could extend the bridge further to the left. Unfortunately, there is a wall in the way.

Cracking pictures :)

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Gilbert. I usually use a wire 'loop' in situations like that. I don't have a photo I can show you tonight, but maybe later tomorrow I can get one found which will illustrate how much better they look than the tension lock coupler, and still allow tender first running.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I need to limit time in front of the PC at the moment, as it doesn't help my neck problem, so please excuse the rather short posts.

The 1033 is still loading and blocking the Up main, so the next coal train has to go round the slow too.

post-98-0-79452400-1493543319_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-68953600-1493543411_thumb.jpg

Mons Meg has now backed on to the 10.33. and may not be amused to see the WD allowed across in front of him. He'll be hoping it goes onto the slow again the other side of the bridge, and that he is allowed a run on the main at least until he gets past it. I've checked the WTT for him, and he's OK, main line as far as Arlesey before he gets put on the SGL.

• Like 19

Hi Gilbert.

The way you operate just like the real thing would have done so many years ago really does add to the realism of the layout -  how on Earth do you know all this !

However, can you break into your time table where you can run a loco at random just for running in purposes or whatever ?

Allan

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert.

The way you operate just like the real thing would have done so many years ago really does add to the realism of the layout -  how on Earth do you know all this !

However, can you break into your time table where you can run a loco at random just for running in purposes or whatever ?

Allan

The working timetables are invaluable Allan, and over the years I have managed to get hold of the right ones. Then everything goes on a spreadsheet, and it becomes clear how things must have happened. As I do have the correct running lines, I was able to go through things slowly, and find out by experience where the glitches and line blockages were going to appear, though I still get it wrong sometimes.

I can, if I wish, ignore the sequence, but I have to be careful because some trains share a fiddle yard road, and I have to make sure they run in the right order. Sometimes, I just let a couple of coal trains go round and round, which is good, as if I'm operating normally I don't get to vantage points and just watch trains go by.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, with regards to your neck problem, you could get yourself a tablet (with keyboard) or laptop so you can entertain us from your armchair or even bed.

Why you suddenly speaking a foreign language? :jester:

Why you suddenly speaking a foreign language? :jester:

Begging your pardon, Gilbert, to put it a bit more straightforward, a 'portable typewriter with a screen that tilts'.

I share your views; when I hear people talking weird words and looking at a load of numbers and symbols I think they're on another planet.

• RMweb Premium

Begging your pardon, Gilbert, to put it a bit more straightforward, a 'portable typewriter with a screen that tilts'.

I share your views; when I hear people talking weird words and looking at a load of numbers and symbols I think they're on another planet.

Thanks, that helps a bit. I couldn't see what Moses might have that would help me. Except perhaps something with " Thou shalt buy no more locomotives" chiselled into it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As PN dozes in the summer sun, something very strange occurs. :O

post-98-0-37593000-1493647907_thumb.jpg

Do our eyes deceive us? Maybe not.

post-98-0-86733600-1493647959_thumb.jpg

The owner of this strange beast suggested that a reason for this unprecedented sighting might be a Doncaster Rovers v Leyton Orient return footex. Of course I discarded that immediately. Why would you put on a special train for three people? More later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a stranger -  now these footex workings - might they have involved Stoke City, so that one of Mr Stanier's big locos might appear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As PN dozes in the summer sun, something very strange occurs. :O

attachicon.gifMN 1.JPG

Do our eyes deceive us? Maybe not.

attachicon.gifMN 2.JPG

The owner of this strange beast suggested that a reason for this unprecedented sighting might be a Doncaster Rovers v Leyton Orient return footex. Of course I discarded that immediately. Why would you put on a special train for three people? More later.

Must have cost a 'packet' Gilbert to bribe you enough to let that appear.

Donny 6   L.Orient 0 by the way. Donny meet Lincoln in the next round of the League Cup. That will be a bit of a rough tie.

C. Lanline

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

That Bullied is a taste of what the ECML 'might' have had if Bullied had succeeded Gresley. I know some people always say that Thompson was senior to Bullied etc etc, but I have read somewhere that the LNER Board did indeed offer the job to Bullied but he declined their offer, so they had to reluctantly let Thompson have it. Anyway, in the realms of an alternative universe, we might have had a fleet of 'air smoothed' LNER pacifics instead of A1s, and lord knows what else!

Lovely to see a Bullied at Peterborough nonetheless! 

There used to be a beer-glass smiley once, but I can't find it now. Never mind. Cheers, and bottoms up. Clink!

• Like 1