Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

Once again a beautifully observed and researched bit of modelling. The results would be considered amazing in 4mm but to incorporate that level of detail in 2mm/n is simply breathtaking. I have been making some small shops so know quite how tiny the window displays are, making those alone elevates the modelling here to the highest level, let alone the wonderful lunacy of the working blinds! I hope they have internal lighting to show off all that detail.

• Like 3

The Frankland news is always something that brings a smile to my face. Everything from the way it is presented, the careful research, the wonderful imagination, and the consummate modelling skill is absolutely top notch. It really is like stepping back in time. Thanks for making so much effort to entertain as well as educate.

Arp

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone for your very flattering comments (and 'likes')!

I feel a little overwhelmed to be honest.

But at the end of the day much of what I do has come about through the inspiration and skills to be found here on RMweb and similar websites. So thank you all!

I suppose the one thing I do a little differently is the story telling ... and in this respect I've often thought railway modelling can be a little like filmmaking: aiming to transport (or direct) the imagination into a different time/place/situation.

westerner:

The cinema is still happening, and will be based on the Brixton Astoria.

Ben A:

Next I plan a short video. Then hopefully my 3-Subs - I'll be starting a separate thread on that subject soon.

Well thanks again for your kind comments everyone - I really do appreciate them :)

• Like 17

Sorry but I dont believe this is a model. Noboby is able to do that much detail in N gauge. Im not sure what is most impressive, the eyesight and the steady hand required or the resulting excellence. Its staggering on every level. Im seriously lost for words (take it that should be phrases on a forum) to state how amazing this is.

Thanks again for further comments - all really very much appreciated!

The Nth Degree

"It's not just your modelling - which is superb - but your presentation is first class and, as far as I know, very unique."

Thankyou - Mikkel's 'The Farthings Layouts' uses story telling in a wonderful way. As you can imagine I find his blog quite inspiring on many levels.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75-the-farthing-layouts/

Yes, I work in the creative industry, quite near to Brewer Street too :)

Edited by Southernboy

I've been waiting to see this update for what seemed an eternity! You certainly don't disappoint! :thankyou:

I too had been waiting for this update,

I had been planning on using scale scenes houses on my coffee table project, but Southernboy has made me think of having a go at scratch building, but I'm not sure I can manage to make it look right.

Almost makes me want to abandon my N gauge project before I've even started... simply awesome work on those buildings and they'd fit perfectly my layout concept too although they'd need to be a bit more modernised in name and content the actual building styles are spot on.

I don't know if you've ever come across Urban75 but it's a fairly "leftie" discussion forum and the guy that runs it lives in Brixton so depending on your political persuasion you may wish to avoid the associated forums.  He's a photographer and there's an extensive section of "Brixton then and now" with a lot of old photos that may be of interest to you for further building inspiration.

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/index.html

I thought so, the attention to detail, execution and presentation is unmistakable. I worked in and around Soho for 15 years before moving to the south coast coast a couple years ago. Sublime workmanship and I look forward to the next update.

Steve

I'm going to chip in with yet another ~BEST THREAD EVER~

I, was, having a bad day, but to know you are living in a world that among sundry other treasures, encompasses N gauge sausages, makes everything OK. Thank you.

It would be interesting to see how your approach to detailling enhances the graceful Union Mills T9, but you seem to have enough on your plate creating a world for it to travel though. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next transmission!

• Like 2

It's not just your modelling - which is superb - but your presentation is first class and, as far as I know, very unique. The whole is just outstanding.

Loved the visits to W1, in particular Brewer Street, where I used to work. I'm betting you work in the creative industry?

Thanks again for further comments - all really very much appreciated!

The Nth Degree

"It's not just your modelling - which is superb - but your presentation is first class and, as far as I know, very unique."

Thankyou - Mikkel's 'The Farthings Layouts' uses story telling in a wonderful way. As you can imagine I find his blog quite inspiring on many levels.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75-the-farthing-layouts/

Another from the creative industry here, I've worked within a stones throw from Brewer street, it did make make smile to see it.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1

Another from the creative industry here, I've worked within a stones throw from Brewer street, it did make make smile to see it.

Yet another, although I'm attempting to get into the industry (degree in graphic design) and Southernboy's attention to detail puts mine to shame - perhaps that's my problem? :)

• Like 2

Hello Mark,

I would like to congratulate you on your wonderfully atmospheric layout that you have built here. I don't know if I have ever seen a layout that oozes the thirties or any other period, quite so well.

You make me feel like getting on with something myself!

My very best wishes,

Harold.