Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

Excellent layout that captures the feel of the area very well.

As a past resident of Balham (Gateway to the South) who used to have some friends at Clapham north, I know the shops well and you have captured the feel of these really well.  A bit of somewhere like Wallington in there too and maybe some Vauxhall too me thinks.

Ultimately of course whether to exhibit or not has to be your decision and yours alone - but there are a lot of people as you can see who are very impressed with what you have managed to create.  In fact, the "smallness" of it is in many ways a selling point as most people would have space for something similar within their own domestic environments rather than an O gauge scale model of Clapham Junction we may all dream of.

I know you consider it "not much to look at" but then we're always the most critical of our own efforts, aren't we?

Thank you again :)

I understand what you are saying, and in particular do appreciate your comments about the 'selling points' of Frankland.

Being quite practical: The layout stands at just 2' 4" (so as not to be too incongruous in the room it's in, which is multipurpose), so would probably need to be higher.

For now let's just say maybe in a few years when I've achieved some of my other objectives I'll consider ways of making it exhibitable :) But no promises!

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark

I used to live in Clapham and later near Wimbledon at Motspur Park and the finished areas of your layout look superb.

Like many others, I am very grateful you are happy to share your progress here on RM Web as I always enjoy the care and attention to detail that's gone not just into the modelling but also into the way you present every update.

I totally get it that for you the hobby provides distraction and relaxation - it is the same for me.  Certainly when I built my first home layout in the mid-late 90s I never expected to get into exhibiting.

However, FWIW I have found, since getting involved with the NGS area group layouts Ketton and then Horseley Fields, that exhibiting does add another dynamic to the hobby.  It's certainly not for everyone but personally I enjoy meeting people, also (as someone who tends to need a deadline!) an upcoming show can provide useful stimulus to complete a particular rake of wagons, or building, or whatever.

Indeed, if you happen to be at a show we are attending you would be more than welcome to operate our layout for 30 mins or so to see whether or not you enjoy the experience!

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Frankland is worthy of exhibiton whether or not you eventually decide to, and in the meantime I for one will continue to enjoy your updates and look forward to monitoring your progress.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5

For now let's just say maybe in a few years when I've achieved some of my other objectives I'll consider ways of making it exhibitable :) But no promises!

If you're anything like most modellers it'll take that long to finish it and get it into an "exhibitable" state anyway - but even if you don't feel that exhibiting is "your thing" (which, let's face it, it isn't for everyone) I am quite sure at least one of the magazines would be very interested in sending someone round to take a few pictures.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with the last few posts regarding exhibiting at. The first ones will always be hard though. I have been exhibiting layouts now for many years and it's not always be easy but for me the hassle is worth it the majority of the time.

Just keep working on the layout at your pace. You can always modify a layout for shows if and when the time comes. I Look forward to further developments on the layout as it's superb modelling

Ian

• RMweb Premium

- utterly superb, I think you've surpassed Copenhagen fields as the greatest n gauge layout...

Superb as Frankland is I think that's probably going a bit too far. For starters, CF isn't N gauge

I'm not sure that matters. I know that taste and appreciation is a personal thing but I can't see how a judgement based on one aspect of a layout's specification would make the totality of it better or worse than another.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that matters. I know that taste and appreciation is a personal thing but I can't see how a judgement based on one aspect of a layout's specification would make the totality of it better or worse than another.

Hi Neil,

its not a judgement. CF is 2FS, Frankland is N, its simply a statement of fact, it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the modelling at all.

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Comparisons are famously odious, whether valid or not. What the recent pages of this thread demonstrate, however, is that there is complimentary, positive - and how! - comment being passed by modellers with serious pedigrees, acknowledged for the quality of their own layouts and models. And, of course, that is far more telling than a "like" from an idle, half-baked loafer like me!

In short, I think Frankland has "arrived".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

its not a judgement. CF is 2FS, Frankland is N, its simply a statement of fact, it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the modelling at all.

Jerry

My apologies Jerry; afraid I've read something in your response that wasn't there. Note to self, ensure full state of wakefulness before posting.  :blush:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Frankland has captured a real slice of a certain time, period and place.  That video with the swing music is just superb and I have gone back to it several times now.  What I love most about this it is how you have managed to turn the traditional run around layout into a serious model.  I can't imagine having more pleasure in being able to have trains loop around in such a realistic setting, but more than that, you can also enjoy the trains whilst slowly working on the setting.  Building it up bit by accurate bit at your leisure.  This is exactly what most of us are after - that ever elusive perfect model we all search to build and Frankland is exactly that.  

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

As a 4mm GWR modeller, I remained blissfully unaware of this 2mm Slice of SR territory... until now.

Wow!

This is utterly superb building modelling and in 2mm to boot. The butcher's shop alone is worth an article in the modelling press.

As the yoof of today have it, "Respect" :good:

iD

• Like 5

I have only just come across this thread as well and I had to check again that it actually was 2mm.

The detail that you have achieved in modelling those shops is fantastic, I can only dream of reaching such standards. I had to read it again to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Jim

This is in no way meant in any disrespectful way whatsoever, but looking at the recent overall view of the layout here...

Frankland-January-2013_zpsbe6f63ed.jpg

... I must admit that I was quite amazed to see how much is left to do. I was under the impression, from the superb photos on this Thread, that more of the layout is complete than it really is..!! By the time it is more-or-less finished, we will all have run out of superlatives to describe it.... :O

• Like 4

Thanks for recent comments, all very much appreciated :)

F-UnitMad:

Don't worry, the camera hides as much as it reveals, and that is my full intention each time I don my dinner jacket to make a broadcast from Frankland :)

There's obviously a lot of work ahead, which is both daunting, but exciting at the same time.

PaternosterRow:

"I can't imagine having more pleasure in being able to have trains loop around in such a realistic setting ... "

Thank you - that's more or less what I guess I'm trying to achieve with Frankland: I could have gone for a 'prototype' station at the front and 'hidden sidings' at the rear, but for me the trains then don't seem to go on a journey or take my passengers anywhere. Thus the two planned stations and open geography.

btw I think you mean 'Dance Music'.

What is 'Swing'?

Is it some Trans-Atlantic thing? We really aren't keen on American influences!

Glenn Miller doesn't even start to get noticed until 1938. We are quite particular about such details on Frankland you know. Standards are standards after all old chap!

Says Mark with tongue firmly in cheek :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 8

You perhaps covered this in a previous broadcast, Frankland doesn't appear to have any facilities for handling goods trains or looking after locos, I presume, due to the proximity to the London termini that the latter is handled there. Did you deliberately choose for goods to be handled off scene or was it a prioritisation of available space?

Available space was a big factor ... provision for goods / locomotive handling was something 'compromised out' of the equation at an early stage.

At one point the kick-back siding (in fact there was originally going to be two sidings) at the rear of the layout was going to be small depot for mail/parcels/newspaper trains as a nod in that direction, but even that was compromised out - It seemed that 'scene-setting' should take precedence and, in order to work successfully, be given room to breath.

Equally, passenger stock (especially EMUs) and services are my primary interest. And so I decided these should be the prime focus.

So as you suggest, in my imagination everything else happens 'off scene'. Once I've got a reasonable selection of EMUs and steam-hauled express trains up-and-running, I'm sure my attention will turn to mail, parcels and goods trains passing through ... but these may well be a few years down the line yet.

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Premium

Equally, passenger stock (especially EMUs) and services are my primary interest. And so I decided these should be the prime focus.

...and why not! It is nice to see a layout with plenty (or in this case potentially plenty) of multiple units running on it. They were, obviously, the vast majority of traction on these routes, and it is good to see this reflected on the layout.

Looking at the overall view, I do like the simple track arrangement in the foreground station...the same as Haslemere, and a good many others I should imagine. Very simple and extremely flexible for operations.

Southernboy, on 04 Mar 2013 - 22:29, said:

Available space was a big factor ... provision for goods / locomotive handling was something 'compromised out' of the equation at an early stage.

At one point the kick-back siding (in fact there was originally going to be two sidings) at the rear of the layout was going to be small depot for mail/parcels/newspaper trains as a nod in that direction, but even that was compromised out - It seemed that 'scene-setting' should take precedence and, in order to work successfully, be given room to breath.

So as you suggest, in my imagination everything else happens 'off scene'. Once I've got a reasonable selection of EMUs and steam-hauled express trains up-and-running, I'm sure my attention will turn to mail, parcels and goods trains passing through ... but these may well be a few years down the line yet.

Sorry to keep pestering with questions,

Do you find running constrained in any way by only being able to run what is on the layout? I presume you occasionally take a train or loco off and change it for another from some off layout storage.

I'm trying to plan my large layout for when I've got the house decorated and trying to decide between a fiddle yard set up where I can run a different train into scene with the option of it running for a couple of circuits or shunting it about on stage before sending it off again compared to the pleasant simplicity with which I imagine (assisted by the videos) Frankland runs.

Hello again Black Sheep.

Basically you are asking me whether a roundy-roundy is preferable to a hidden-sidings to station-type scenario - and I can't answer that.

You have to work through the pros and cons of layout options yourself to be fair.

With Frankland I started off with a list of EVERYTHING I wanted, (scenically / operationally / stockwise / etc) ... then narrowed the options in terms of cost / practicality (practicality including what skills I could maybe learn within the lifespan of the layout) and also what aspects of railways / railway modeling held my attention over others ... and from that arrived at the compromise my layout would be.

"I presume you occasionally take a train or loco off and change it for another from some off layout storage."

Yes - usually I use the middle of the three lines through the station at the front. For me that's not a problem because Frankland is my playground - my imagination never notices such incongruities :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 16