Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that you can still run yours as well but it was the new WCRC one that was new out which is used on the Jacobite so ideal no renumber or anything. I will be fitting it with Howes sound and adding some real coal. That part is Stevies fault for letting me take his 4mt for a run on Rannoch as a sound fitted steam loco looked and sounded very good rattling round the layout! It's all good with my accountant anyway as I had saved for Glasgow!

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

Hi everyone,

Work has been focussed on the viaduct section over the last couple of weeks. The handrails are nearly all painted and apart from the final coat of the front section nearest the wall as I need to pull the board out for that. The ladnscape has been re-shaped and raised so the hill rises above track level into the back corner. This had a covering of paper mache with wall paper paste over the top of the polystyrene before brown acrylic paint was added. The hanging basket liner is then glued on top of this to form the basic layer for the scenics to applied to and gives a good quick covering. Next will be the stone pillars.

Hope you like the progress it is starting to feel like it will finally get finished!

Thanks for looking,

Mark

post-6863-0-90384000-1331582994_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-29570500-1331583021_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-21217200-1331583053_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-19597700-1331583074_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Good to see you again at MRS and catch up on your news.

I like the bridge. Very nice, and with the grass in the background it's starting to look finished as you say.

Are you going to have some form of scenic break as the track disappears behind the backscene?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I have built the metal panelled bridge from wills sections to go over at this point - it can be seen in photos that people have taken from the station at Rannoch where the line bends round and under it in reallity. It is also very rusty so should make a nice little project. Space is tight at this end as the curve flows round to the edge of the board so it is a bit of a compromise but should work ok. The only issue with trying to create as much scenic space does mean that you look into the fiddle yards at each end of the layout but it does open the layout up more so I think it will pay off. Once this section is finished properly it will need some of your special motion shots! Good to hear your plans and I like the sound of your Oban layout.

thanks,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My updates seem to get further apart but the layout isn't being neglected but more my time gets taken up elsewhere as well so no time online!

A recent visit to Barrow allowed me to pick up a few bits from Crafty Hobbies where I got a set of the Bachmann LPG gas tanks for the cottages these are fixed in place and a pack of woodland scenics pines should along with the rest of the Hornby trees allow me to plant the valley as needed.

A couple of nights work earlier this week has seen all the stone work cut from Wills sheets for the viaduct supports with a base layer of brown paint applied to create the dirty stone work. Hopefully this month will see a lot of this work finished at this end and then the details can be added as time allows around work. Hopefully I'll have some photos to add then.

Happy Easter

Mark

Hi Mark, nice to see Rannoch Moor again. I am looking forward to seeing more photos of your superb viaduct, especially with Brush 60 action going on!

I think one day you will finally give in and have Large Logo 37/4s, class 26s and Scottish 47s running at Rannoch, how good would that be?!!

• RMweb Gold

I think one day you will finally give in and have Large Logo 37/4s, class 26s and Scottish 47s running at Rannoch, how good would that be?!!

oooh...yes please....:yes:

oooh...yes please.... :yes:

Hi Mark, nice to see Rannoch Moor again. I am looking forward to seeing more photos of your superb viaduct, especially with Brush 60 action going on!

Something like this? (Taken last May with my 37410 and Mark's 37425 - ignore the Barbie sleepers and 150 :scratchhead: ).

Andy 8)

post-7040-0-01340300-1333814891.jpg

post-7040-0-63168100-1333814900.jpg

Edited by backwaterscotland
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments! Whilst the blue stock would look nice and I have to admit I enjoy running others sound fitted 26's and 27's it might be a while before this happens! Kev has threatened to run his blue stock on it at Barrow this October so you never know what will appear! I did contemplate 1999 for a while as I like the transrail branded triple grey 37's that were in force at the time!

Thanks

Mark

Mark, your modelling is top quality, well done.

One comment re ews 66s - you know there was only ever a small batch fitted with RETB to run over these lines ? I think the numbers were in the region 66110-66118 ish. Would you be renumbering or are you happy as it stands ?

How about modeling the snow shed and a bit of the line on the moor this would add even more to the realisim you have achieved ,good to see you posting again.

Whilst it would be nice to have more space for scenic details because of the way I have worked around the curves to fit in as much as possible to help create the open space of the location it means I can't extend the layout or use the fiddle yard boards for other layouts. I don't think I could have faced building more bridge spans as that would have been the case if I had made it bigger!

Mark, your modelling is top quality, well done.

One comment re ews 66s - you know there was only ever a small batch fitted with RETB to run over these lines ? I think the numbers were in the region 66110-66118 ish. Would you be renumbering or are you happy as it stands ?

Hi Rob, Thanks for that info - I had made a guess at only certain locos having the RETB equipment but no idea which ones were fitted. The number range you have mentioned though does seem to fit with the locos I have seen on photos on the net and youtube videos. Repainting/ numbering is an area I need to learn more about I have attempted it with 37 406 but the other more unusual members of my fleet are all the hard work of Andi Walshaw (cairns road works) as I just couldn't get near his standards! The 66's I have will be staying as they are but 66111 might get added at some point with its extra embelishments!

Hi Mark,

I already have some in stock - Just in case......

:O

Thanks Phil, it is tempting to run this at some point as there are some interesting workings and colourful mixture of locos on the line back then. I'll get the core fleet finished first!

• RMweb Gold

How about modeling the snow shed and a bit of the line on the moor this would add even more to the realisim you have achieved ,good to see you posting again.

Hi all,

Been done before and the modelling of it is unlikely to be surpassed.....

Thanks

post-6887-0-62255000-1333847328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 7

Fair play mark. 66111 would be good as one of the few to have any extra personality. I haven't checked the loco pools recently but with DBS only doing the tanks I guess the RETB pool is even smaller now.

I've got to say altering a bachy 66s number is not easy either - with the body corrugation the number eventually comes off with t cut, but so does some of the gold, needing a partial repaint.

I made 2 trips to FW in 97/98 . Once on the sleeper hauled by 37409 "loch awe". The variety of 37s on the line then has tempted me to do a WHL plank for ages...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

What layouts this? It's excellent!!!

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

This photo of the snowshed at Cruach is taken on a layout called 'Moor of Rannoch' built by Alan Mitchell.

It used to have a Fotopic site dedicated to it but since the demise of Fotopic Alan has not reloaded them anywhere.

I can ask and see if he is willing to let me use his photos if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks

Phil H

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

An update about the layout - 'Moor of Rannoch' as mentioned above.

Layout photos are now available to view:-

http://alanmitchell.....com/p471287138

The layout will be on display at:-

BONNYBRIDGE & DISTRICT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB

MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION

29th & 30thSeptember 2012

Bonnybridge Community Centre

Bridge Street, Bonnybridge FK4 1AA

Visit the website later in the year for more info

http://www.bonnybridgemrc.co.uk/

Please note - This is a change of date as well!

Thanks

Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 5

Excellent Phil, I haven't seen that layout for a long, long time, maybe at the SECC one year.

Trust Bonnybridge MRC to come up with the goods again!

Yeah Fantastic,

Saw Moor of Rannoch at Aberdeen one year (that'll let you know how long ago it was) and I was amazed how much time you could spend looking at a single line

Rgds

Mark

Hi Mark,

The 66s with RETB were originally 66095 - 66114. I'm not sure how many still carry it now. Of course 66101 is DB red these days, as is 66097 but not sure if they still have the RETB.

Also - your latest 37 is coming along nicely, as are a couple more to tempt you with!

Cheers,

Andi.