Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Andi,

Hadn't checked on here for a week so missed your post - sounds interesting though! Been busy painting the stone work - if progress allows the photos will be on here by the end of the week. Off to put the lighting rigs up which have been kindly lent to me by Mike B ready for Ayr in Sept as used on his two exhibition layouts. Good to have his expert advice to get ready for it going out!

I'll be in touch with you soon about the DRS machine and also a couple of other things.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi all,

An update about the layout - 'Moor of Rannoch' as mentioned above.

Layout photos are now available to view:-

http://alanmitchell.....com/p47128713

Phil H

At the risk of a post hijack, thanks for this link- I saw it at SECC one year and was knocked out by it- a single line but beautifully modelled and presented, and was the highlight of not only that show, but of several years visits. Glad to see it is still about and hope I run into it again sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

With working away modelling time is now quite short but still able to get bits done from the hotel! The viaduct continues to take shape with all stone work now installed and filled with mortar and painted. The end surface pillars by the railings have been painted and weathered ready to be installed along with the plate girder bridge which has been painted and dusted with rusty powders. Whilst at Edinburgh show on Sunday another wagon an OCA is now filthy and once the inside has some rust added and a few traces of ballast around the edges it will be ready for service again.

Photos will follow when I get the time and hopefully things will start to look finished in the next couple of months!

All the best

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

At long last here is the photos of the most recent progress at Rannoch. Mostly concentrating on the viaduct scene and working from a photo in Rail Expres back in 2006 of Gleann Viaduct I have made the stone pillars of the viaduct using Wills stone sheets and the upper pillars were made in the same way but with milliput carved to shape for the top capping stones. A stream has been added down the slope and this pools under the viaduct although being summer there isn't a full flood coming down it just a trickle following the summer showers! Whilst Rannoch is quite open several viaducts have lots of vegetation following the route of the line and as my viaduct is small in comparision I wanted to create this effect so several more trees are being planted. The upper levels of the slopes will have some evergreens planted the poles marking the holes so the ground cover can be added.

post-6863-0-78261400-1337184801_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-43648600-1337185466_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-11851700-1337185377_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-16283400-1337185421_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-65561600-1337185552_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-76380500-1337185858_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-65193900-1337185940_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-00432300-1337186006_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-32790200-1337186081_thumb.jpg

The platform shot shows the picnic benches now added from the excellent ten commandments lazer cut and already coloured ones which I got from Dave at the recent Edinburgh show. I have also been working through the wagons fleets with just one wagon left to finish in the engineers rake and with the Bachmann OTA now out the final two wagons for this rake should hopefully get finished soon as well when I get them.

post-6863-0-20677500-1337185637_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-84617500-1337185755_thumb.jpg

Hope you like the progress and any comments/questions welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Excellent Mark :yes:

I have been looking forward to see you tackle this part...and it was well worth the wait.

That LL 37 low level shot being hellfire...:D

Hi thanks for the comments.

The downside to working away means I can only do so much in one go and then have to leave it all to dry which means a week goes by before I can do more working each evening gets things done quicker but it should all come together as the rolling stock and details can be done and then added later.

I know how much you all like LL blue tractors but this is still 425 in its later years before its DRS repaint. Kev may well run some of his blue loch dour fleet in October when the layout goes to Barrow!

The stone work turned out quite well the base brown ended up being quite a nice shade to add more colour and mortar too. I have added some rusty water marks around the top sections but the rest still need weathered with some dirty black brown greeny wash like the top pillars were finished.

Off to weather some more wagons!

All the best

Mark

Hi Kev,

It would seem to be a popular choice and your fleet would look and sound superb on the layout. Got a feeling the rest of the operating crew from up here will be delighted to ditch my sheds as well by the Sunday!

We did the reverse at Glasgow on Mikes layout and went modern on the Sunday!

Better get another ota weathered!

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

66725 Yings at Rannoch with the sleeper and close up detail of the platform tops

post-6863-127654976435_thumb.jpg

post-6863-127654978672_thumb.jpg

post-6863-127654980882_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I've just been through the thread again and notice your 66725 with the terrier on it. If you do a YouTube search for 66728 you will see it with the dog pulling 2x325's (can anyone expand on the youtube info?). Now I know what will be my next numbering job will be.

Managed to figure out how to get the link from my phone app.

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by Mark 37

Hi Mark was at Crainlarich that Saturday 13/02/2010 doing a wee reckie did not know 66728 was on its way up was told by the driver of the Oban train it was coming up with a load of EMU's the reason was GBRF was taking over the Alcans contract and this was a training run for their drivers I also saw EWS 66114 with their last run of Alcans going up to fort william at 12.33 at Crainlarich the photo below was taken at 16.17 well worth the wait

post-6643-0-30478800-1338670237_thumb.jpg

Hi Eddie,

After finding the video I searched google and it took me to your gallery on here. I know it was a one off with the 325's but I will be applying a dog to my 66.

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by Mark 37

• RMweb Gold

just try this instead

Great video Gary...sat with a large espresso and enjoyed that 10 minutes to the MAX...:yes:

Edited by bcnPete

Great video Gary...sat with a large espresso and enjoyed that 10 minutes to the MAX... :yes:

Just watched it myself, very enjoyable. Really liked the high speed token exchange near the end. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just watched it myself, very enjoyable. Really liked the high speed token exchange near the end. :locomotive:

Agreed...forget to add....Damally looks to be a place just waiting to be modelled....:D

Hi Mark,

I've just been through the thread again and notice your 66725 with the terrier on it. If you do a YouTube search for 66728 you will see it with the dog pulling 2x325's (can anyone expand on the youtube info?). Now I know what will be my next numbering job will be.

Managed to figure out how to get the link from my phone app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKOqzSPqsc0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, this is one of my video's. GBRf carried out this run in preparation for taking over the Alcan workings. They had previously carried out some route learning trips using Virgin light engine 57/3's then this one with the 66 and 325's. They were supposed to simulate the weight of the Alcan wagons.

Scott,

Fantastic video! I used to stay on the singer line years ago and was able to see lots of lovely loco's with passenger and freight. I told myself I would never have a 66 (no dogs on the side), but on my way home from Model Rail Scotland (2 years ago I think) we saw a First GBRf 66 run through Singers station so I bought one. My brother in-law works for Network Rail and told me most traction was done by EWS 66's, so purchased one of those (more for my five year old to have something he would recognise). Just Incase he saw a freightliner livery I bought one of those as well. The wife was pleased. lol

Gary,

Great video as well! Lots of dogs, but sadly I never saw my daily 37 thrash from 37410 which ran through Singers daily.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi everyone,

That was a nice surprise to see all this activity on here. I need to learn how to link in videos like that as most of my research was done on line including YouTube as this was the main way I could find out the formations of trains that ran on the line. There are several of 37's on autoballasters over the last few years with 37/ 425, 427, 670 and more recently DRS 37 688 and 059. There are also some good ones with 427 and 406 on engineers open ZCA's and 405 in EWS livery with the fortwilliam to mossend alcan.

After seeing GBRF take over the alcan workings I picked up the model from Richard at the train shop in Morecambe at a good price and added the transfers from Replica as I had some for adding to 37406 that I was renumbering at the time. I did find photos of it at the time so I could position them right. They used the 325 units for the test run as at the time GBRf were running the mail trains so had them available.

All the best

Mark

Agreed...forget to add....Damally looks to be a place just waiting to be modelled....:D

Hi,

This appeared in Railway Modeller in either May, June or July of 2007. I did consider modelling Dalmally, Crianlarich, or Rannoch as they all have additional sidings for some extra movements but decided to go fictional, not because I think my modelling skills aren't good enough (modest, eh?) more because I don't have the knowledge of railways I believe is needed to satisfy the rivet counters.

Best regards,

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello again everyone,

Took me a while to find my thread again having been bad at posting updates lately. My spare time has been spent on the layout where I can as it makes its first trip out to Ayr exhibition in September and then to Barrow in October.

The valley scene has been more or less completed just some final planting required to bring it to life a little. The cottage at the North end has been completed today with the final details added like chiney pots and the brass hardware on the front door.

My latest loco has also made an appearance at Rannoch... Well it suits the blue era many of you like :scratchhead: ! Its on the finished rake of timber wagons now a pair of the Bachmann OTA's have arrived in service.

Hope you like the progress:

Thanks for looking

Mark

post-6863-0-25828300-1344209788_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-41023800-1344209825_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-50346700-1344209916_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-19170000-1344209963_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-26442500-1344210032_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-28715400-1344210199_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-35446600-1344210075_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-09198700-1344210163_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-40329600-1344210132_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-34593300-1344210262_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-72098500-1344210303_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The cottage is now fixed in place and managed to add in the gravel around it to bed it in. I have also started adding in the flowering weeds mainly purple and yellow along the front sidings. These are cut from strips sold by international models and look realistic with leaves on the stems.

Next week I am off and hope to get a lot of details finished on the layout. Hopefully will get some more photos then.

Thanks

Mark