Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the good wishes. My mum phoned me today and said I bet the only thing your worried about them moving is your layout! I'm not too worried about that now it has the frames to hold the boards together, even the viaduct one despite its size is still light for two people to move about so I have plans to put it in one of the bedrooms so it can get set up again ready for use/finishing.

Dave - We're not moving too far just outside of Edinburgh to Linlithgow so it will still be easy enough for you to come through next time your up this way. We were quite lucky to get the flat sold in the end and although it was quick in reality it didn't feel like that last Friday as this was our deadline for concluding missives otherwise we were going to have to rent it. Hope you get yours sold soon so you can expand Waverley.

Gary - Funny you should mention earlier traction - I was lucky enough to catch this amazing lash up at St Andrews exhibtion recently with 7 sound fitted Mcrats running out and back on Aithrey Park. Despite my lapse with 26024 I'm still sticking with the current/last few years for Rannoch just now.

Thanks,

Markpost-6863-0-06001300-1314231871_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Despite my lapse with 26024 I'm still sticking with the current/last few years for Rannoch just now.

...but you have to admit it...that photograph does look very tasty... ;)

Pete - very true! They sound good as well. I can justify getting a RF one as 26041 as that was based at Carlisle early 90's and worked down to Barrow several times hauling failed 108's. My main reason for getting the blue one is to take it to run on other peoples layouts.

Mark - Got quite a few photos of it at Glasgow a couple of years back as it is a favourite of mine. I'll try and send you some when I get the chance.

Thanks,

Mark

Good luck with your move Mark. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people will go to in order to put off finishing their layout!!!

Nice photo of Aithrey Park, that is one of my favourite layouts. I would really like a Railfreight 26 but as mentioned before just cannot justify it!

Good luck with your move Mark. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people will go to in order to put off finishing their layout!!!

Nice photo of Aithrey Park, that is one of my favourite layouts. I would really like a Railfreight 26 but as mentioned before just cannot justify it!

I can't justify it either but I got one anyway. My blue one was feeling a bit lonely. :senile: :derisive:

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Rannoch has survived the move with only one bit of damage the red Langley phone box fell off but the removal men rescued it, wrapped it up safe and gave me at the other end without even a scratch. Pretty good work by them and one of the guys really liked it and wants alayout himself one day when he gets rid of the kids so he has some room for one. The layout is back up in it's new very pink train room and it even has an on suite! I don't have Internet yet so can't add any photos from the wifesiPhone but last night 26024 was on the northbound alcan working and passed 37668 and 37510 top and tailed on a charter. The 26 is being run in ready for Ayr on sat where it will be seen on mikes griffin dock road layout. Hopefully will see some of you there and will update more once I'm back online. I only have a year to finish the layout ready for it's trip to Ayr next year!

Thanks

Mark

Glad you made it Mark and good to hear Rannoch Moor is up and running again. Looking forward to seeing more progress, but I'm guessing time might be in short supply for a while?

I'll be taking you up on your invite to see the layout in its new home as soon as I'm up your way again.

There may be some good news on developments on a new home for Waverley West soon too.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Mark Glad your move went ok and the damage to the layout was very minimal. I had to make a modification to mine as the bridge on the layout got damaged beyond repair, so the hole got filled but some of the bridge came in useful though. My mum said the same to me about caring more about the layout more than rest of the stuff. hope you get your internet sorted soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Now I have internet again I can get back to some updates on progress. Last weekend was spent at Ayr exhibition which was a superb weekend with the DEMU/ Scottish modellers group. Didn't get much modelling done as spent too much time playing trains on Mikes Griffen Dock Road layout which features a wagon repair facility which gave me an excuse to get a new Flask wagon to play with. It has since been seen running on Rannoch with DRS 37229 for company, which was all the hard work of Andi.

post-6863-0-54920800-1316802518_thumb.jpg

Ayr show has also brought about some urgency as the layout must be finished ready for next years show! This week I have made a start on the jobs list required to complete the south end of the layout. So far this has meant adding in more rough grass cut into fine strips and ballast added to complete the track. The area at the ends of the sidings has been used by the engineers in recent years working on the viaduct and station area so new fresh ballast has been added to recreate this area with some javis green scatter added to blend in and create the fine weeds already poking through. To add some relief to the board edge polystyrene blocks have been cut to shape and stuck down. These will get some paper mache added using wallpaper paste as done on the rest of the layout and then hanging basket liner added to create the base. Other materials, brambles and static grass will be added to finish off the area. A nightwing portacabin will go into this sight along with some other bits and bobs to add interest.

post-6863-0-31581700-1316802549_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-93568100-1316802637_thumb.jpg

The last photo is one of the Bachmann BDA's that goes into the Alcan train seen on Griffen Dock Road at Ayr which Phil very kindly weathered up at the show for me and positioned on the layout. This looks superb running on my layout although I need to get the rest of the train up to this standard! Thanks again Phil!

post-6863-0-64030100-1316803475_thumb.jpg

Hopefully normal service is resumed and you'll be seeing more updates again soon.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

Great to see updates on the layout. It was also nice to meet you at the show, even if it was brief.

I see the 26 in RF colours on this layout and confirmed I want one. I was just looking at them online yesterday. Still to get one of them, a 66 in EWS and a Black 5 and I think that will do us for locomotive power, just need to get on with some sort of layout to play with them. lol

All the best,

Mark

Edited by Mark 37

Hi Lewis,

On that siding there is no buffer stop - I think there is a loading bank as there should be a raised almost platform like area on that front siding I guess was for timber loading at one time but in all the photos I have seen it was well over grown with the old huts and caravan on it. I plan to build the two huts and have done the caravan for this area although I can't actually find it at the moment - I know it was packed away safely for moving but it is proving a mystery to find again!

I am going to add an old sleeper bolted to the track to finish that off and the static grass tool will also see some more use to blend it all in and cover it up a bit more as the front line won't see much use - just the odd wagons dumped from time to time.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Peter, You can certainly get away with a flask on your layout and it will look spot on coming into the yard to run around - You can use your 25/9 on it but you know a nice coal subsector 31 would look a treat! And one of your new brake vans would finish it off nicely!

Hi Mark - It was good to meet you too at Ayr I ended up buying another 26 in RF to go with my blue one. Cheltenham had some bargains and I got 26 041 as it spent 1990/91 based around Carlisle and ended up as far down the Cumbrian Coast to Barrow hauling failed 108 units from time to time so fits with a future plan!

Thanks,

Mark

Dont remind me Mark, every time 41 came to Barra' I was in Scotland!!!!! :nono: I got 31 & 38 on units though! They were a pig to get in those days before mobile phones. As only the Carlisle crews could drive them they used to arrive late, run round, and bog off sharpish!!!!! kev.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Just a quick question - I see the front fascia is higher than the ground level - will you trim it down to match the ground topography or leave it as is?

Might be a personal thing but when the front edge follows the ground level, I find it 'brings you into the layout' more and also allows for more realistic photos...just as suggestion - feel free to ignore.

i do like that first shot of the 37...very atmospheric...you just need a little dry ice now sweeping across...

Hi Peter, You can certainly get away with a flask on your layout and it will look spot on coming into the yard to run around - You can use your 25/9 on it but you know a nice coal subsector 31 would look a treat! And one of your new brake vans would finish it off nicely!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Bit of a late reply, I only just noticed your post today. I do have one flask but could do with another one. Class 25 or class 31 is normal power but I have always liked the coal sector class 31s one with ploughs would be nice. Maybe one day. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

Glad you spotted this and raised it as it is something I keep debating in my mind every time I sit in front of the layout to enjoy watching trains go by! I have painted the outside facias green as this helps to blend into the scene - the wife suggested this and thought I would try it and it looks quite good - I even admitted that to her. There are a couple of options -

* I build up the vegetation to cover this front area with brambles and weeds etc to blend it all in. I also want to add the old huts that were at Rannoch, one is wood planked the other which has recently been demolished was a really rusty corrugated iron shed which would be a nice little project.

* I can take down the height of the front facia either a bit lower and still have some vegetation or right down to ballast level.

I am getting on with the south end first and will then work back up the layout and this will be finalised then. One factor that has kept it in place so far is it will help to protect the front edge of the layout when it goes out on its road trip next year. Any other views/ thoughts welcome on this?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello everyone,

My lack of updates is mainly down to the fact I have been trying to get some modelling done as Rannoch must be finished for Septemebr next year and our DEMU/Scottish Modellers area group layout is also now resident at mine as it can be put up permanently for working on and will be appearing at Model Rail Scotland in Feb so lots to do!

Anyway in my head I have a clear list of jobs I want to get done on Rannoch its jut a case of get on and do it so I have decided I will work on the southend and get this complete and then work up the layout. All wiring and final adjustments to the trackwork in the fiddle yard and between boards will be complete before it gets taken down so I can create enough space to work on the viaduct end. Progress of late has been adding the various undergrowth to the south end starting with the front. I have then been adding in yet more of the Hornby trees which I do like as there is good variation between species which helps to add a bit more realism to the scene although I think I must have spent nearly £200 on trees alone.

I picked up a pack of rubberised horse hair at Ayr which I have never used before but have found it makes great brambles. Onto the hanging basket liner base and even around the overgrown siding I have added some clumps of the horse hair cut to size. It naturally ends up with some trailing ends. I added some brown earth scatter to the base before a thick blob of PVA and pressed it all into it. It springs back up just right and then I dabbed on some more glue some heath green scatter and some gaugemaster leaves and once dry you have some nice looking brambles.

The gorse bushes are also fun to do and also good value. I have used the woodland scenics branches packs - Richard at the Train shop in Morecambe had first shown me them and I knew I would find a use for them. I selected out the smaller ones, the large ones can be used but need more bending to suit. I bent them into small clumped bushes and using a sharp spike made a hole through the scenic base ab lob of Pva fixes them in place. Again the ground was covered with some brown earth scatter and once its dry some more pva is dabbed on the top bushy areas and some yellow Peco scatter added which gives a nice bright yellow finish.

I have attached a few shots of the progress and also of my latest 37 to join the Rannoch fleet. I saw 37416 a few years ago at Waverley one morning running very late with the Fort William sleeper. It was in a shabby dirty condition and Andi Walshaw (cairnsroadworks) has recreated it exactly how I remember seeing it at the time so a big thanks to Andi for all his hard work on this one. There are some better images of it on his website along with a DRS machine that you will probably see at Rannoch soon!

Hope you like the progress and any thoughts/comments welcome as always!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-19757200-1319500991_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-16348900-1319501018_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-05989500-1319501043_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-17213300-1319501089_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-35760500-1319501116_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-33233500-1319501138_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-70266800-1319501160_thumb.jpg

• Like 3