Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

• RMweb Gold

This is a fantastic looking layout! Looking forward to seeing it at Model Rail Scotland!

Just to ask, what did you use for the grass growing up between the sleepers?

post-6863-0-31581700-1316802549_thumb.jpg

Cheers, James :)

Hi James,

Rannoch has not been booked for Modelrail Scotland - YET!

Won't be for 2012 as Mark's completion target is Ayr MRG Exhibition in September 2012.

Keep watching the space though!

Thanks

Hi James,

Rannoch has not been booked for Modelrail Scotland - YET!

Won't be for 2012 as Mark's completion target is Ayr MRG Exhibition in September 2012.

Keep watching the space though!

Thanks

Well, I should be there :) Looking forward to seeing it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

Sorry not been keeping up to date with posting as to busy modelling of late. The DEMU/Scottish Modellers layout which will be at Model Rail Scotland has been taking up spare time - well the station building anyway for me and then the days/evenings with the lads that we have been busy on the layout itself.

The grass you can see in that photo is the packs of gaugemaster rough grass it comes on a thin backing and I cut it into little thin strips and glue it to the baseboard. Once dry I add the ballast around it or other vegetation if at the edge of grassy banks etc. It comes in 3 shades and the straw coloured grass i have used as tufts in other areas and then added static grass around it using my home made grass tool which has worked well so far.

I find working from photos of an area and then adding in the variety of trees bushes shrubs and shades of green help to make things a bit more realisitc and don't be scared to mix everything up a bit especially with ballast etc as the different sized bits and colours all come together well.

The plan is to get this end of the layout finished over the next 2/3 months the layout will then be taken apart for the alignment dowels to be added thanks to Martin who ordered me some and also having seen them fitted onto the group layout should be able to do this!

After that the sections will be moved about so that i can work on the viaduct board.

See you at Ayr next year!

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Not sure if you are aware of this, but last month's (I think) Railways Illustrated had a short (2-page) article on Rannoch Moor. It has a photo of a camping coach which might be of interest plus some other general info, which you are probably already aware of. Still, it might be of interest.

I can send you a copy if you haven't already seen it.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that info - I did take a look at that when I was in Smiths - I knew that there had been a turntable off the back of the station when I started planning the layout but at that point found very little info or photos of that side of the station until I had built up most of the landscape. By that point the space that I could have put the coach on is too small but I do have the level bit of ground with overgrown grass that would have been the track alignment. Shame really as the camping coach would have made a nice feature.

I will keep an eye out for your layout in Hornby magazine its not one I normally get but will be worth looking at with your layout in it!

Thanks,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates of late. Hopefully I will find time to take some photos and add soon. Any spare time has seen me get on with some modelling with the south end coming on well but still plenty to do. The Ten commandments fence posts have been added around the car park painted and wire added the gravel surface is a mixture of ballast with some coal added to blend. More trees and vegetation has been added still more to go and need to add the static grass to finish. On the stock front 37409 with sound has arrived along with 66209 which Bachmann have done a great job weathering and the rolling stock is starting to get some details added such as painting the buffer shanks silver even dirty wagons in use still have some shine, tail lamps from replica and also some smiths couplings for rear wagons. Track faults are being ironed out nothing major but I want everything as smooth as possible and there are always room to improve further. The charter set has a ck added the new weathered version comes with commonwealths under it so fits the rake well enough. I'll add some photos when I get the time.

All the best

Mark

Hi Everyone,

I have finally got around to taking some pictures of Rannoch to show the progress. Since moving house the lighting in the train room wasn't great for photos but having put the extra lamps back up it makes things a bit easier.

First up and detailed last night using a bit of internet research and the 66 feature in Model Rail the other month is 66209. The weathering by Bachmann is very good on this model so all I have added is a dab of railmatch acrylic gloss varnish for the fuel oil spills. A few dashes of white on the lower handrails below the cab doors and front step edges. Painting the air pipes red and yellow before fixing along with the front valance. The lifting eyes were cut away and patched in yellow like a lot of the real locos before the operating equipment was fixed in place. The Buckeye coupling was at the opposite end to the driver so I cut this off and re fitted to this end to finish it off. I have added a 21 pin decoder for now but will be adding Legomanbiffo's new V4 class 66 recordings via Charlie at DC kits havng seen his youtube clips of it. I will also be adding a few more cab details and Ph designs mirrors at the same time but this will wait until Glasgow in Feb. Its already in service hauling the BP tanks to Fort William.

post-6863-0-77635400-1323722266_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-99898000-1323722302_thumb.jpg

I have been focussing on the South end of the layout and progress has been good. The wooden crossing boards are in place, painted and weathered, the lane has ballast and vegetation, the rest of the trees will go in once the gate is fitted and the static grass down. The car park area has some gravel broken mixed with coal to darken. The ten commandments fence is in place and wired. The vegetation at the front engineers sidings is in with brambles/gorse added, just the static grass again to complete. The new Network rail van has been added and having seen a real version the other day will add the rear lamp and ladder at some point.

post-6863-0-20583200-1323722339_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-23251200-1323722366_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-22803000-1323722390_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-13479600-1323722414_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-26243400-1323722436_thumb.jpg

Hope you like what you see, question comments, banter welcome as always!

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Looking good. It does look better in the flesh though - photos don't really do your work justice.

I took a trip up to Rannoch station the week before last to get some photos and measurements. It's amazing how many details need to be recreated in such a small area. In the end I didn't get as many photos as I'd have liked due to the severe rain/sleet.

I've been working in Templot drawing Rannoch to scale in 2fs recently and it is very tempting. I even bought the last 2mm scale footbridge kit from Lochgorm Kits just in case :O If it ever does become reality it won't be for at least 2-3 years.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin, just think, we could have your 2FS version and my 4mm version side by side at shows in the future. I wonder if that has happened with any other locations before!

Thanks Mark glad you like it - hopefully if your back at some point you might get to see it in the future or even have a play.

lmsforever - Glasgow will be good and very large this time around as well hope you do make it and come and say hello. Ten commandments will be there and have lots of useful parts - I must remember to get some of the lazer cut picnic tables for the platform at Rannoch this time! Just hope our group layout is ready in time!

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Great work on 66209, good to see someone else has one on their layout!

I have got one for Christmas and it is a superb model, it is long overdue that Bachmann releases a new EWS example. The only thing I thought was disapointing was that it had a silver silencer when it should be brown like all other new Bachmann 66 releases? The real locos have never had silver silencers so I dont see why they have included it on 66209. However it is a great model for further weathering,detailing and possibly renumbering. The scenics is coming along well too,keep up the good work.

Regards

Lewis

Mark - u are putting me to shame with all this work on your layout. Its looking brilliant. Need to see it for real.

You will easily be ready for Ayr in September so if u r not doing anything over the summer come down to Ayr as there will be lots of work to get The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point complete for the same show as my real work has prohibited any progress at all over the last number of weekends. Told my wife all I want for Christmas is a week in the shed - not much to ask!

Keep up the good work.

Max

Hi everyone,

Max - my wife said I can spend any time in the shed - ours is missing a window and has an old animal hutch in it from the previous owners! If she sends me out there I'll just come over to yours instead! The viaduct end still needs a fair amount of work yet but you never know next Summer might be able to make it down for a day. Your layout will be fantastic to watch as well I might just sneak a dirty 60 onto it as well when your on lunch!

Hi Pete sort of settled in now at least I can get away to do some modelling, I do a few other jobs in between which helps to keep the peace!

Lewis, the new 66 also has cab lighting which is another plus point for it. The weathering job is very good by Bachmann as well. I am pleased that they have done another ordinary fleet member as that and 66068 will be my core fleet on Rannoch.

I have also introduced 37409 into service now I have finally been down to Barrow to collect it. Model Rail have done an excellent job on this one and I opted for the sound fitted model. I have given a slight dust of roof dirt and dark weathering powder around the exhaust, added the speedo cable on the bogie side - I used a small part of a Vi-trains sprue which works ok. Name plates stuck on and front end detailing. I have added the ETH cables on the buffer beam and the air pipes. This is the one thing I would like to see Bachmann improve on as the yellow pipes will be swapped when I can order some Hornby spares as they are not fine enough. I have fitted the plough directly to the buffer beam and cut the bracket that slots in the coupling as I wanted to detail the front end. Having seen the real loco on charters with a tail lamp added I have included this feature for now as it may tail the charter fleet but will hopefully have an observation saloon to tow about.

post-6863-0-54232100-1323905089_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-37691100-1323905145_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-09503400-1323905169_thumb.jpg

The last shot is of my new 31233 in the bright Network Rail Yellow. It has only had its extra high intensity headlight added which Hornby kindly sent up to me, very quickly from my initial e-mail. Excellent Service from Hornby on this minor issue. I painted the inside silver and stuck on using some Klear which has worked very well. I have always liked 31's (as many of you know!) having grown up watching them in Barrow so this is my excuse to run one on Rannoch!

post-6863-0-55765800-1323905309_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for all the comments and encouragement!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

37409 and 31233 are superb additions to Rannoch!

Another note on 66209 is that the real 209 is now part of DBS Euro Cargo Rail and so for an accurate DBS post 2009 66 it would need renumbering, mine will become 66204 which is still in the UK. Bachmann should use this new release and turn out a few more EWS examples as they are popular and crucial for any modern image layout. Following your progress with interest,

Regards

Lewis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to wish you all a very Happy New Year when it comes!

Thanks for all the interest, comments and banter which helps to make the project even more fun and for the ideas and tips along the way. I have been busy with work and even struck down with a bit of man flu this week but still managed some modelling on Rannoch with a another large patch of gorse created, the old walkway from the car park to track level at the south end of the platform added to the embankment, some fencing around the cottages, a new top coat on the car park, some hedging, ballast to the RETB site and I have finally finished painting the excellent Lochgorm kits footbridge. After looking at photos I have added in the more modern handrails to the steps on the main span and also the main steps to the platform using thin metal wire and painted the yellow and white lines to the edge of the step treads as well. I am pleased with the way it has turned out and despite the bridge looking quite rusty in more recent photos there is no way I am adding this but as some of my stock is from 2006 onwards when it appears to be freshly painted I don't think this will matter to much! Photos will be added at some point in the New Year.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark

Looking good. I was wondering if you would have a drawing plan of the building that you have built. I am thinking of building a model of Dumbarton East and i was going to build a model of the building that was once there and not what is there now! And that includes the cover over the stairs!

Hi Ian,

I don't have an actual drawing as such of the building although there is a book on the WHL that does have a detailed layout plan in it but I don't have a copy of it and not sure of the title. What I did was work from photos of the station online and then measured doors and windows in my flat at the time to get approx dimensions. I then drew a working plan of the walls, roof height etc to work from and then put the footprint onto a thick bit of art card to build up the model. I did include pictures of them somewhere on this thread probably nearer the beginning, I will still have them but no idea where since moving.

Will be interesting to see your model develop,

All the best,

Mark

Hi everyone,

Rannoch is continuing to take shape with lots of little jobs done to detail the scene in any spare time I have. The station has two purple window boxes added, some hedges planted, fencing painted and weathered before adding to the scene. Telegraph poles are in place with the start of the wires added, further details will be added to complete them. More brambles and bushes have been added at the south end along with the old disused walkway from the car park. The large patch of gorse has been added to on the embankment and the metal bike racks have also been installed next to the phone box. The static grass has been added to finish off the banking at the front corner of the layout and also the longer burnt yellowed grass to the rear embankment. The trees have been added as well to complete the lane at the far end. I have also been cracking on with the final painting of the footbridge as I had all the inner frames to paint purpe, the floor and the painted yellow and white lines to the step edges. The bridge also has hand rails on the step sections which I added using fine metal wire and finished in purple. The bridge in recent photos does seem to have quite a bit of rust staining but after all the hours painting it mine is staying freshly painted. Finally got around to putting a Bachmann decoder into 37416, no sound for now but at least I can play with it. Andi created this one for me as I saw the loco at Waverley one morning in this condition working the sleeper to Fort William very late as it was well after 9am the day I saw it as there had been coupling issues with the stock. The former royal scotsman maroon livery is rather dirty but still in good condition as the loco appeared back in 2006/7.

post-6863-0-28150500-1325794902_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-52372100-1325794924_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-28443000-1325794966_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-13836900-1325794995_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-01773500-1325795100_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-17551300-1325795123_thumb.jpg

Hope you like the progress,

Question/Comments welcome as always,

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

Love the new class 37s 409 is a beast. The latest layout pics are superb the bridge looks great, as do the senics, it's really coming together. I need to put some telagraph poles on Llanbourne but I am not really sure where to put them. One of the problems modelling a ficticious place.

Keep up the great work, Rannoch is looking superb.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to repeat what Peter said really. Just superb. The lane disappearing into the distance is a lovely feature and really adds perspective. I know I've mentioned it before but those trees (and the vegetation generally) really do look the part.

Cheers,

Dave