The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Polly:

Have you run into The Bird Fancyer's Delight?  Tunes to be taught to your pet bird. Work well on most whistles. A friend had it on LP a (half a century?) ago but I only have the music.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

So, if I may be very contentious here, I would like to offer the opinion that vegans are the Jihadi wing of the non-meat eater’s movement: extreme, intolerant, preachy and in pursuit of an unrealistic goal...:o :devil:

Finally, a philosophical question (and a serious one), if you decide not to eat meat as part of your personal philosophy and world view, why eat “meat substitutes”? Surely the philosophically consistent approach would be to eschew meat substitutes? If your philosophy rejects eating bacon, isn’t eating a bacon substitute just about the same thing? 

With regard to your first paragraph , I should put you in touch with my eldest son, and would watch the interaction with interest!

Second para - he is absolutely consistent in not eating anything pretending to be meat, and has been for years.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

36 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

After all, decaf coffee is still coffee, even if it is as synthetic as all get out.

I don't care for decaffeinated coffee (what's the point? - oops, there we go again) but while the processes currently used to remove the caffeine are a bit complicated they are not all that different from many processes we might use in our kitchens (admittedly supercritical carbon dioxide isn't something you'll find in a lot of kitchens).

"Synthetic" connotes something artificially synthesized from various compounds/molecules but that's hardly the case with decaff coffee. It's just coffee that's been processed to remove most of the caffeine.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

39 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I don't care for decaffeinated coffee

I am happy to consume decaffeinated coffee in the evening. I often enjoy coffee after a meal but depending on the meal, the full strength will keep me awake way longer than I prefer. In that case decaff is a nice option.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, a philosophical question (and a serious one), if you decide not to eat meat as part of your personal philosophy and world view, why eat “meat substitutes”? Surely the philosophically consistent approach would be to eschew meat substitutes? If your philosophy rejects eating bacon, isn’t eating a bacon substitute just about the same thing? 

One explanation I was given was the person still liked the texture and taste of meat and enjoyed eating the substitutes - but still didn’t eat meat for personal ethical/philosophical reasons.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Almonds (and other nuts) require enormous amounts of water. Almond growing is an ecological disaster. Parts of the San Joaquin valley (where almonds are grown in California) have subsided by 30' (10m) due to draining of the aquifer, which is not refilled by rainfall. That aquifer exists because at one point the entire central valley of California was an inland sea.

This chart shows the relative amount of water required for different foods. Olive oil is almost as bad.

waterforfood.png.f29657773be00f501f2102dd32146fdc.png

Palm oil is not necessarily a "vegan" thing. Deforestation for palm oil plantations (particularly in Borneo) is devastating. Palm oil is in many "processed items" including soaps, detergents, chocolate, margarine, cosmetics and processed foods (including those with meats). 

I think that this graph may lead to misleading conclusions.

Where is that water going? Not into the almond. Most of it must be evaporating into the atmosphere where it will regenerate as rainfall.

But, of course, that rainfall will be elsewhere so I accept the idea that one should not intensively plant almonds in some places where it could affect aquifers. Where I lived in Southern France, almond trees grow very readily (lovely blossom in February) but they are mostly wild rather than cultivated.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, a philosophical question (and a serious one), if you decide not to eat meat as part of your personal philosophy and world view, why eat “meat substitutes”? Surely the philosophically consistent approach would be to eschew meat substitutes? If your philosophy rejects eating bacon, isn’t eating a bacon substitute just about the same thing? After all, decaf coffee is still coffee, even if it is as synthetic as all get out.

Anyway, enjoy your carnivorous or herbivorous breakfast of choice.

Enjoy Sunday

iD

Taking a big risk here Flavio, the ER rozzer may arrest you for spouting philosophy!  To start with coffee!  I have plugged myself into my blood pressure monitor whist drinking a mug of strong black coffee: quite a diastolic spike.  Then my tablets kick in and it returns to c.130. 

I'm a non meat, minimal lactose eater on health grounds.  We insert enough chemicals into the poor beastie before and after death - the final straw being trump's chlorinated chicken.  (Incidentally now to be allowed after the lock down Parliament passed the Agriculture Bill).   And bacon, enough chemicals to make it a cancer risk.  So obviously I have no objections to meat substitutes.  Veggie wurst?  Very nice but a tad expensive.  Veggie bacon?  Consistency and taste of shoe leather!  My meals for today? Breakfast - cheese on crispbread; lunch - avocado and tuna sandwich; supper - braised cabbage and onion with a fried egg.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11