The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

What part of “Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” don’t they get after three years?

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2020/05/14/memories/

Not a comment on the blog post as such, but I've been enjoying your choices in music.

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

What part of “Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” don’t they get after three years?

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2020/05/14/memories/

When I was young and lived in Somerset we used to regularly eat kale. Seemed popular there then. It was many years before I had it again and instead of growing in the garden it was from Waitrose. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, TheQ said:

SWMBO is a qualified doggy groomer,  she complains my wire for hair damages her doggy clippers.. 

and which part of your anatomy is she trimming I wonder? :jester:

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I was young and lived in Somerset we used to regularly eat kale. Seemed popular there then. It was many years before I had it again and instead of growing in the garden it was from Waitrose. 

I used to grow it when we had more space dedicated to food production and I still enjoy it, just as I do the tops of Brussels Sprouts plants in season. TBH I would be hard pressed to name a vegetable or fruit grown in the UK that I don’t like. I suppose that has a bearing on the notches in the belt.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Mawnin‘ awl. Coffee hasn’t flooded the system yet, so may I, for now, just share this photo from, er, dunno what you could call it in Daugavpils, Latvia... :mosking:

05900155-138B-4F38-B562-AB7DABFB64FF.jpeg

I think it's pointless :)

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Same here but I have not had any for quite a while.

• Like 10

I refer to my previous comment

11 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

My point exactly!

Where IS that groan button!!?? :jester:

Or is its request for appearance just a pointless waste of time? It may turnout thus but I hope the moderators could be persuaded to switch it on at some stage!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I refer to my previous comment

Where IS that groan button!!?? :jester:

Or is its request for appearance just a pointless waste of time? It may turnout thus but I hope the moderators could be persuaded to switch it on at some stage!

A groan button the size of Philadelphia!!! :biggrin_mini: :biggrin_mini: :yahoo_mini: :biggrin_mini:

• Agree 8
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been glorious today, although as I mentioned earlier it started off quite cool, but it didn’t take long to warm up. As I was going to join the end of the queue at the butchers this morning, I spotted my cousin in the queue and we exchanged greetings. But once she’d been served, she stopped and we chatted for a while (at a safe distance of course). The only draw back with having a chat whilst social distancing and waiting in a queue at the same time, is that you can’t have a private conversation, but ho hum. It was still lovely seeing her as we’ve not seen each other for quite some time now and it was nice to catch up.

After dinner I finished of making the fruit tea loaf that I’d left soaking overnight. Once that was in the oven I then made a small batch of almond scones, some of which will be devoured after tonight’s tea. 

This afternoon I attempted Costco for some supplies, as I drove onto the car park I spotted the queue  :o......................:o it was fecking enormous! I didn’t even get stop the car, I just turned it around in the car park and drove straight home. So, for now or until lockdown has ended or the restrictions have eased somewhat, I won’t bother trying again, I’ll just buy what I was going to get from there elsewhere.

On the subject of family trees, I’ve not done any research, but one of my fathers cousins did a bit a number of years ago, I have a copy of his findings. On my mother’s side it becomes a little more difficult, as her paternal grandfather was Portuguese. We do have some information about him, where he was born and his fathers name, but that’s as far as we’ve got. 

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone  ...snip... This afternoon I attempted Costco for some supplies, as I drove onto the car park I spotted the queue  :o......................:o it was fecking enormous! I didn’t even get stop the car, I just turned it around in the car park and drove straight home. So, for now or until lockdown has ended or the restrictions have eased somewhat, I won’t bother trying again, I’ll just buy what I was going to get from there elsewhere.

Goodnight all 

Costco, eh? Well a co-worker was a member and we would go there and have lunch before she started shopping (it was unlimited refills on the drinks!) and I noticed that the pricing was not really any better than Walmart. And the quantities sold were always in too large a package for my use. One of the only things that I got there that was suitable for me was a Uniden cordless phone set that I still use and have expanded via ebay (up to ten handsets are supported, I have seven working still). Here is my second one (from ebay to use when traveling) at a friend's house:

1193828466_MyhomephoneatToms.JPG.fe611c7e8de59887942d2515f9384794.JPG

BTW, that Tucher was very good beer!

Of no particular interest, this model was also available in a two-line version and the handsets interchange, at least in single-line mode.

Now that I have bored all y'all to tears, I better say good night owl from the Piedmont.

Grabbing hat & leaving on a fast train! :jester:

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl inner Temple Hare, 

4 hours sleep so far,  attempts at extending that will continue. 

Usual aches and pains from a body long not used to physical work. 

Since buying in bulk to get cheaper overall cost,  is our normal way of purchasing , a Costco would be nice to have access to.  There are 5, all at the 100-110 Mile distance.  Companies seem to ignore Norwich, Ikea arrived only recently but it's a tiny store, more Argos style than true Ikea.  With the current situation both medical and economic I can't see anyone opening new stores for many years. 

What ever the use for that track junction there will be one heck of a lurch using it,  the geometry seems all wrong. 

Ben the uncomfortable Collie keeps getting up, wandering around then returning to his bed. 

Time to try for more sleep.. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Here it is on Google maps, it looks like a tail track for possible storage of a broken-down trolley:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8935688,26.5316371,77m/data=!3m1!1e3

Note the overhead structure in the right backround.

You mean, they actually have to push cars through that contraption? It was bad enough when I thought it would be a trailing switch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10