The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Going back many years now (20+?) my friends over the road (now sadly no longer with us :( ) purchased some sort of clever box that hooks up to the telly (recorder, player, decoder type of thingummyjig IIRC) from Curry's.  The salesman convinced them that a "special SCART Lead that was oxygen free (WTF) with gold plated pins was essential with this particular item, and of course not included in the box".  An extra seventy-odd quid later for the lead.....

Personally, I've never had a problem those from Poundland.

This was often demonstrated, by having A TV with the expensive TV cable against a TV with a cheap TV cable,  they didn't like it if you retuned the TV with the cheap Cable so it got just as good a picture.. 

• Like 16
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Turning to more mundane matters...ombudsmen..Flavio you are having a laugh..as the press tend to cover up their own deviences from the law they are useless at helping to sort out problems. I await the return of the man with his saw today!

Q, allof the large protect the world people are over zealous and don't think about the impact they have on people living in communities they damage. Worst case was in Horden. Close the access to the beach to stop the sea coal..stupid inane ideas from people who haven't got a clue.

On more positive notes..

A little bit of welcome rain overnight should help our garden lots of beautiful flowers including some Cala lillies are just starting to bud. Cheers me up seeing them!

Today is tidy up the garage day...apparently. i may just be taking the Beast for a drivee to drop some items off.

We need to book a time slot at our tip. Next garden refuse collection is Saturday 6th June.. D-Day will be GRD Day for us this year.

Stay safe!

Positive thoughts to all ERs but very positive thoughts to BoD and your family.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is out and the skies are blue, but there are a lot of clouds about and judging by the amount the trees are swaying, a bit of a stiff breeze too!

The plan is to spend the day outside attending to a few weeds and general tidying of the flower beds etc. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit windy here but the predicted showers earlier this morning seem to have blown through though there was a dark and ominous cloud earlier. As for charities I support the local hospice and air ambulance and thats it. No doubt most of you receive those bags through the door asking for clothing donations. Apart from the fact that if we all filled every bag we'd all be walking around naked the charities have already received all that they are going to get. This is because they are distributed by private companies who pay the charities a pittance to use their name (and their charity registered number). This is paid up front so I'm quite happy with the free bin liners/rubbish bags. BoD, I hope things go well for you and your family though it must be very worrying.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 20/05/2020 at 17:52, grandadbob said:

The Boss likes peanut butter and Marmite together on toast. 

Me too! I have that for breakfast most workdays. Mrs Lurker bought me the combined jar that marmite have been advertising heavily recently.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Some sunshine and some clouds here, a spot of rain earlier and quite breezy. Not as hot as yesterday.

Late on parade today, not sure why as I was up at my usual time but seem to keep getting side tracked.

Chris's mention of Sir John Moore reminds me of a GDB moment at his grave a couple of years ago.  We were on a cruise and before boarding the ship had started chatting to a woman and her elderly mother who had never been on a cruise before.  She decided to "befriend" us and every time she saw us on the the ship or ashore after that we'd hear a very loud "Yoo-Hoo!"

This happened whilst I was taking photos at the aforementioned grave and made me jump, I stepped back, turned round and fell down the steps in the gateway banging my elbow quite heavily on the iron gates (initially thought I'd broke the bl##dy thing) and twisted and grazed my knee.  Luckily I didn't damage the camera.

DSCF1525.JPG.5cd565e560498b03cb8f9a2fa0d3ee3a.JPG

I can still hear that Yoo-Hoo even now !

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

As it happened one of the local staff in the bank was also in the HKAP but was an Inspector in one of the land divisions so when we met at work he would address me as "Sir" but if we met in uniform on duty (which we did once) I had to salute and address him as "Sir".

At my school our engineering teacher and his workshop technician were both in the TA but the teacher was a sergeant and the technician an officer. They seemed to cope with this perfectly well. 

• Like 19