The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

...snip... I wonder if anyone in the smaller common scales has done that, ..white covered in varnish.  ...snip...

It was very common here in O, especially before and just after the war. The car on the left is varnished, the right one is not.100_9180.JPG.b69bc6c0a0986dfe587a864c5b40f2b5.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think the phrase was "NOT wrapped too tight", or at least the version I heard when working in the States with the Navy and USAF was.

I've only ever heard it used in the over-tensioned sense. It may be a reference to undergarments that are a couple of sizes too small.

Conceivably it might also have origins in the telephone and computer industry. At one time the connections on crossbar switches and computer backplanes were made by wrapping wires around rectangular posts. If the tension was correct the wire made a series of gastight mechanical welds to the post.

But then again....

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening All,

Not had chance to read all the posts, seems most have been having a good day, except perhaps Baz. I had to go into work this morning  to sort an order issue out which took till lunchtime then we had to take some groceries to mils so combined that with daily walk so didn’t get back until 6. Tea, check bank statements and then watered the garden. Where did the day go? 

Goodnight

Robert 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A large box (2.75 cf) just arrived for only 0.42 cf of soft, fairly indestructible contents. Of course there were also inflatable plastic pillows inside. An extra five sets of what I purchased could probably have fit with room to spare.

Summer is on it's way for the next few days. We're headed for 28°C today and north of 30°C for the next two days. Right now it is a scintillating 23°C with cloudless deep blue skies. Very pleasant with open windows and fans right now, but I might be tempted to crank the A/C later in the day.

I went out to bring the bins in but the recycling truck has not yet visited. They may have a double round after the Memorial Day holiday on Monday.

I have things to do and should get a move on but I will wait to see if the manned Dragon/Falcon 9 mission launches in little more than an hour from now. The countdown clock is running and the weather looks clear enough.

Another countdown clock you might keep an eye on  -  Broncos vs Eels in the  restarted NRL tonight if you can get it there.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

One divergence in respect of those two is that in our neck of the woods we don't have a pub named after Asimov - but we have got one named after George Orwell. (although admittedly such naming is an aberration of relatively recent years as said pub was for many years prior to that called The White Hart. 

• Informative/Useful 15

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

F9268495-3571-4597-823A-C05A599517E8.jpeg.0d652343d32df8e9eaf2ff78e691a809.jpeg

That looks suspiciously like an IKEA bedside cabinet (I'm not sure of the official Swedish name but even if I did I doubt if I'd be able to pronounce it properly.) I know this because we have two of 'em (plus the chest of drawers and the tallboy).

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I am happy to look and then ignore but another member of the family objects so I have to do something to stay on here!

I'm not sure if they are still available but there used to be "privacy screens" that you could attach to your monitor. They limited the viewing angle so that it was only possible to see what was on the screen if you were looking straight at it. Viewed from the side the monitor just looked black.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

We managed early shopping for plants and then to the bookstore (first time in months) for the February copy of BRM which I hadn't picked up the last time I was there. We were kitted out in mask and rubber gloves and BRM was duly washed down with soap and water. Then we added some plants to the front garden, im between the tree roots. SWMBO is a dismayed that the bird seed has started to sprout there.

Then some re-arranging in my storage room. We think our neighbour may have had a flood (various recamation trucks out front) and she is worried that I have stuff on low open shelves.

The reason that there are so many more songs about unrequited love is that those with requited love are too busy moving the furniture.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 

6.5 hours sleep so far but interrupted several times. 

Weird dreams again. 

Wire wrapping,  that's a blast from the past,  I was taught to do wire wrapping,  and worked on equipment with it till 1988. It literally could be a pain, working on the back of one of those racks.  Thousands of sharp spikes sticking out at the back,  and you're trying to get in there to find the broken wire or trace a signal. 

We're supposed to be quiet cool here today,  with an easterly wind. This week I and many others would be carefully studying the wind for the Three Rivers Race. 

Unusually it looks like a solid easterly for the whole weekend,  fairly light at 10 to 15mph, so 100 tacking boats till the river Ant,  which itself would be easy with beam winds as would be South Walsham dyke.  Then hard tacking to Thurne mouth. Easy down to the lower Bure buoy and back to Womack dyke then long tack short tack  in the narrow rivers either side of Potter Heigham. to the turn to Hickling near Martham boatyard. 

After that just about the test of they way home would involve, a easy run home. 

Time to err. I don't know , I don't feel. Like sleeping. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Ben the insistent Collie has been patrolled,  it's cool out there,  blue skies and with the easterly wind cold enough to bring the heating on. 

Ben's alarm clock has been blown by SWMBO getting up two hours earlier than normal. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Wire wrapping,  that's a blast from the past ...

I'm trying to remember where I encountered a wire wrap gun. It might have been university, though there were a number of odd tools that I had in my possession in my first job. I distinctly remember a diecast, spring-loaded pistol grip on the wire wrap gun. I have to admit the memory is a bit foggy. Anyone remember the book "The Soul of a New Machine"  about the Data General 32 bit "Eagle"? If I'm not mistaken the "Eagle" was a wire wrap implementation, though I may be mistaking it with the 16 bit "Nova" and "Eclipse" machines.

I don't know what happened to my paper tape correction tool. (A tool and die set, connected with a metal chain, to correct bad bits, or "dimpled chads" on a paper tape used to control machinery.) It's not in my collection of ancient electronic bits and bobs. This was not a tool I had to use professionally, but more of a "found" item.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Ben's alarm clock has been blown by SWMBO getting up two hours earlier than normal. 

I don't wear my wrist-watch much these days but I happened  to notice it seemed to be running an hour late. I thought the battery might be failing until I twigged.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16