The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oh, gee, may I add my congratulations to Jamie and Beth!

And Warren, I can relate to your anguish and to the raw nerves you describe. I do think people who are getting careless now can still put us back a few squares in the pandemic. Thinking of you and yours...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, big jim said:

My eldest had a call from a local butchers earlier, he has a days trial next week in relation to doing an apprenticeship with them to become a craft butcher

he’s left school this year, obviously one of those who’s had his exams cancelled and was looking at going into theatrical lighting and sound etc but with corona virus the whole industry collapsed overnight so it made him think about a proper career...

Although I’m sorry to hear that your eldest didn’t get a chance to go into the theatre, I’m pleased to hear that he seems to be happy to become a craft or master butcher.

Having been involved in a semi professional capacity in the theatre (acting,  directing and producing) I can say with the benefit of inside knowledge that all aspects of theatre are full of uncertainty even at the best of times – even for those at the top of the profession. With mandatory social distancing and the ever present risk of contagion of being in a confined space with a lot of other people, I don’t see the theatre getting back to even a shadow of its former self any time soon. Some of the top theatre actors are likely to survive this difficult period through voice over work, radio work and the like. But for the technical and behind-the-scenes people, I fear it will be very lean times indeed for the foreseeable future.

But, to go through an apprenticeship and become a master butcher, now that’s something I am very envious of. I am a very serious amateur chef and one of my greatest frustrations is that my butchery skills are very poor indeed. Despite knowing my anatomy and despite having all the right tools to hand, breaking down a carcass into usable joints and the like is a skill that I haven’t yet quite mastered. To say that my butchery is a lot of “hack work” is not understating the case.

And if your eldest can master the black art of getting a surgically sharp edge on the knives he wields, then I shall be forever in awe of him!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

47 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the problems if the aircraft landed in northern Queensland ...

The Gulflander might be hard pressed to haul additional stock. Once one has traveled from Normanton to Croydon and back again the options are limited.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This is the Ryan Air version:

With a bit of practice, I reckon these guys could drop them right on the rails:

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

@iL Dottore I would have loved him to get into the technical side of the theatre, he says he may look at doing it as a ‘hobby’, not so much theatre though. the holiday park we have a van at has a pretty sophisticated PA and lighting system and he’s been told he could learn to use it, get trained on it properly as well as doing stage work, he could have worked toward an NVQ etc however as you know that’s all gone by the by now as it’s not even known if the park will open this year.

the last lad who learned the ropes there had just (pre Covid) started his 2nd year on the cruise ships doing the lighting for shows and he also toured with ‘grease’ the musical doing the same but as with most in the industry is now out of work, as are my friends who Do the entertainment at the parks, I’ve lost work too as I do a few nights every so often DJing in a pub in Stoke, I’m certainly glad I only do it for a bit of pocket money and don’t rely on it as an income, I actually work for my nephew who luckily has a full time job too as his extra income from hiring out PA and DJ equipment has dried up, when the camps and pubs do reopen it’s going to be a completely different experience that’s for sure

as you may know I’m a huge west end musical fan (not a euphemism) and I too can’t see how it’s going to easily come back from this pandemic with the social distancing for both the audience and performers 

as for butchering I really hope he puts his mind to it, I certainly couldn’t do it, I can barely pick up raw bacon but he’s not bothered at all

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

So - it would seem - all those zombie apocalypse films have got it dead wrong (no pun intended) when the survivors siphon fuel from abandoned cars several months after the fall of civilisation and then zoom off to safety in their vehicle

Presumably the former owners took the precaution of adding some stabilizer to their fuel tanks before abandoning their vehicles?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Heard anecdotal tell that a school had postponed its return yesterday due to a confirmed case amongst its population!

Given all the 'horror stories' one hears about, how long until a second spike?

A pessimist is rarely disappointed! :jester:

• Friendly/supportive 14

7 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

... a school had postponed its return yesterday ...

I don't know that there are any US schools that will return to in-person instruction until the Autumn at the earliest.

Certainly not locally.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That was the third outfit of the day, the wedding dress, then a blue corduroy skirtvand jacket, then into more comfortable attire ince we had booked in at the hotel and removed all the confetti. I managed with a suit forvthe first two but had also gone to jeans by the time that photo was taken.

We got off to a flying start. We were supposed to fly from Glasgow to Munich the following morning where a bus would take us to the Austrian Tyrol. Unfortunately one of the engines on the Bavaria Flug BAC 1-11 had a lubrication failure when it ramped up the power for takeoff. We had to hang around the airport for about eight hours waiting for a replacement aircraft.

Just over a week later we were on a bus tour to The Dolomites when the driver heard on the radio that the Israeli Olympic Team had been massacred.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

the female gender much prefer to walk around the town in what might politely  be described as excessively short shorts.

That is definitely the case at the House of Fun.  Not just today but for several days past.  Since the apparent invitation* to travel to anywhere in England for recreation, in fact.  We have been entertained by a number of cases of bare-cheeked face and of too-much-information in all areas.  It must be said, however, that under the current restrictions we are only enjoying around 10% of the normal levels of what some choose to call "eye-candy" ;)  

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Gulflander might be hard pressed to haul additional stock. Once one has traveled from Normanton to Croydon and back again the options are limited.

There's a whole lot of nothing there.  There is a whole lot of nothing along the trip too although the regular crew make what they can of it and I believe they still stop and brew up for all aboard at pre-determined lineside stops.  A little two-carriage train on an isolated line in an isolated wilderness is a very strange survivor in the 21st Century but remains just popular enough to survive.  It's a heck of a trip to get there in the first place though.  

* That is how a small but growing number of the Great English Public is interpreting current "guidelines", rightly or wrongly.  Trains to the coastal resorts have been much busier in the past few days notwithstanding the good weather of several weeks.  Reports from the weekend include the fact that several London - Brighton and London - Bournemouth trains arrived carrying standing loads at their destinations despite attempts to limit numbers boarding at each station.  Eastbourne was destination of choice today with your scribe having been asked several times from where and when the next train departed.  Throughout the present emergency, until late last week, customer enquiries have been almost non-existent suggesting that very nearly all of those still travelling are regulars who know their way.   

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

35 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We got off to a flying start ... We had to hang around the airport for about eight hours waiting for a replacement aircraft.

... or not!

Edited by pH
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Exhibition cancellations.. i need to avoid it....there are people on there who need help to live. And others who obviously do no muddling at all but know a lot about puttingon exhibitions...not!

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Maybe it’s because I am, more or less, a Londoner Mike, but I can’t see London as a honeymoon destination: Edinburgh? yes, Dublin? certainly, Paris? definitely! But London?  I suppose (he says dubiously) there are indeed romantic locations in London. Trouble is, at the moment I can’t think of any (unless you subscribe to “the romance of train travel“ and have marked  Waterloo Station, Paddington Station and Victoria Station as places suitable for re-enacting Brief Encounter or the like) :jester:

A short holiday was all we could afford and as my wife had never been there, we spent the time walking around the main tourist sites such as the Tower of London, Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace - thank goodness we didn't take the rain with us - remember this was early February.  We did travel by train and so got to see both Grantham station and Kings Cross !

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5