Strange exibitor request

David Bigcheeseplant

I get requests from layouts and traders wanting to attend Railex most weeks, athough I got this today, and the mind boggles, although there is a Steam connection but I really don,t think these models would be finescale enough for Railex!

oh the request came fro New Zealand, I think we have enough belly at railway exibitions anyway!

David

Hello,

I belong to a belly dance troupe that specializes in Steampunk form of dance. Steampunk is quite difficult to explain in few words, but there is quite a lot of information regarding the subject online.

I found the listing for your event on Wotzon.com, and thought we may be able to partner up with you to create a truly memorable event.

Please contact me to discuss how we could work together for an outstanding, and effective show!

I belong to a belly dance troupe that specializes in Steampunk form of dance. Steampunk is quite difficult to explain in few words, but there is quite a lot of information regarding the subject online.

The only thing I could sensibly reply to that is "Thank you for sharing."

Great one, David. Please keep them coming. Enlightens an evening at work waiting for someone to finish when by rights I should be at home.

• RMweb Gold

I have not replyed as yet, but it would set Railex out as a show that had something that other shows could not match.

Now would they have there own space or dance down the gangways, or maybe we could pop them on the vintage bus or have a room that they could do a private show!

David

Do I understand that exhibition managers cover exhibitors' expenses? If this lot are coming from NZ, there might be a bit of a bill....

As a contemporary artist in the video game entertainment industry I do come across many steampunk references during my work, and personally find the style quite evocative.

However, the Salama Punked Belly Dance Troupe from New Zealand (

) don't really do anything for me,(or steampunk for that matter).

However, I do think there's something worth exploring here in the context of other entertainment at exhibitions;

Thomas the Tank face painting?

Soap box challenge?

Splat the Rat?

Candy Froth?

Hook a Duff?

Ghost Train?

Ahem, I'll get me glittered hip scarf....

Paul.

So, the Salama Punked Belly Dance Troupe from New Zealand,

Ahm, now I may have missed something, but although there were some belly's, very few people in the hall, somebody hiding behind the door,

a brief glimpse at 3.07mins of an interesting hat on somebody, that's not what I remember belly dancing being about

- the belly's didn't dance to start with, maybe rolled around a little, but not dancing

- and if that's 'The Scene' in NZ, I think I will stay in Cornwall.

I would like to wonder what the band was like (there's a set of drums on stage) but if that's the floor show, forget it.

Troupe? I've seen troops in full battle dress give a better performance :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

I am left to wonder if the request was made after use of an internet search engine which has generated results for "steam". I really cannot understand why else it may have been made and there is certainly no sane and intelligent response I can post!

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the expenses I'm not really sure where I could put them at Wakefield. The only spaces slightly larger than the normal aisles are in front of the second hand stall and having seen the single mided determination of punters to get there I'm not sure how welcome they would be. The only other spot this year is by the end of the The Gresley Beat and I think that that area might be a bit crowded.

Jamie

A quick Google produced this illuminating explanation of the term Steampunk

"Steampunk Couture is the result of a beautiful marriage of Neo-Victorian wear and our post-apocalyptic future"

Got that?

Yup, thats a good description allright. It's not all bad though; I'm actually building a small diorama/ shunting layout for the steampunk society at my university, and its really fun to try and figure out how the victorians would have built diesel and electric locomotives.

I'm at a loss as to what belly dancing has to do with steampunk however...

Archived