TouchCab news & updates

• RMweb Premium

Have like fed using Touchcab for the lst 3 years.

Today I got my first feedback accessory going. It works correctly on my Lenz handset so then I tried setting it up as a signal using the feedback address for the signal address in Touchcab.

It didn't work.

Any suggestions?

I set my points/turnouts up by allocating each one a number using the Lenz handset, following also the Cobalt's instructions for programming it with the same number. Used the Touchcab to let it 'know' the correct code for each point and it works fine with around 24 points now.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will come on soon and help you with your equipment.

Syd

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I used my iPhone 6 with Touchcab and a warning came up that this app won't work correctly with future versions of ios.

I have a 4s that I bought to use only with Touchcab and it no longer gets updated by Apple so hopefully things will be OK with it but a bit of a nuisance

as my son only has a 6, spoiling the usefulness of cheap multi-user facilities when the update happens.

I hope the app remains available should a re-download be required for any reason.

Syd

• RMweb Gold

hmmm, ive just checked my iphone 6 and got the same message too, ill be gutted if i cant use touchcab anymore after the next ios update

i think ive got an old ipod touch somewhere i can utilise for it though (assuming the ios that is running is compatable)

aberdeenMRC/KFD any news on any futher developments?

• RMweb Premium

If we knew that the app would remain available it may be worth your while getting a 4 or 4s.

They are on ebay for £50-80, still cheap for what it does for the Lenz system.

I used one of the dealers the_ioutlet_extra (no connection)   first one was faulty (no wifi) and they changed it by return, no problem since.  

Mine was 'Grade A' £52.99 incl post and cosmetically very good.

Bought it July 2016.

• 4 weeks later...

If we knew that the app would remain available . . . 

TouchCab still works on iOS10.3 on my iPhone7 but, as previously reported on RMWeb, if you are using iOS10 there is a warning when you install the App that the developer needs to update it to work with future versions of iOS.

Apple are now close to releasing iOS11 and it appears that this will be 64-bit only. It is also rumoured that Apple may remove all non 64-bit Apps from the AppStore in the near future. TouchCab is still visible on the AppStore as of a few minutes ago, but that may change soon. If you have TouchCab already and want to continue running it, don't upgrade your device to iOS11 when it become available. If you have not yet got TouchCab, this may be your last chance to get it to run on older iOS devices.

Does anyone know anything about the future of TouchCab. Nothing has been posted on their ****Book page for a long time and I cannot find out anything about it anywhere else.

What a shame if this very useful piece of software finally dies as it is a good option to use on an existing device rather than purchasing an expensive handset.

John

What a shame if this very useful piece of software finally dies as it is a good option to use on an existing device rather than purchasing an expensive handset.

There remain several options which utilise smartphones, with better support of the Apps.   But, to the best of my knowledge, all need a small computer adding in the middle (eg. £30 of Raspberry PI) to act as the server.   

Apple infrastructure and policies on constant updates does make running older stuff a bit of a lottery - their attitude does seem to be one of "stay current or get lost".

- Nigel

The following was posted on their Facebook page this morning

iOS 11:

We are aware that the App Store no longer shows the TouchCab App in the App Store when searched.

We have also installed iOS 11 Beta and can confirm that TouchCab does not open in this release of iOS. We are working to launch a TestFlight Beta test in the coming days, but would suggest that if you rely on TouchCab, that you do not install iOS 11 when it becomes available as a Public Beta later this month. We will send out a further notification once the TestFlight Beta is ready for registration.

Thanks
Karl and Mike

There remain several options which utilise smartphones, with better support of the Apps.   But, to the best of my knowledge, all need a small computer adding in the middle (eg. £30 of Raspberry PI) to act as the server.   

Apple infrastructure and policies on constant updates does make running older stuff a bit of a lottery - their attitude does seem to be one of "stay current or get lost".

- Nigel

To be fair, TouchCab was last updated around three and a half years ago which is a fairly long time in the life of an App.

However, it seems there is some good news: according to Post #182, something is underway to update it.

John

Good morning guys.

Apologies for the lack of updates on this thread, our main outlet has been Facebook, and I have not been getting notifications for this thread for some reason!

Anyway, there is some good news! We are now looking for Beta Testers.

The following is from our Facebook post:

"Beta Test. 

Good news! We are looking for beta testers for TouchCab. If you are running any version of iOS from 8 to 11 and are willing to help test, please send an email to support@touchcab.com with the following information:

First name
Last name
iTunes Apple ID (this is usually the same as your iCloud one)
DCC system Type
iOS version
iOS product type (iPhone/iPod/iPad)
iOS product version (5s/6/6s/7 etc)
Your country and iOS language. 

If you need help to find any of this info please email or comment below. 

We do not recommend giving this information in the comments, please email or private message. 

This Beta Test is for an small point update (likely 1.8.4) which adds 64 bit support. There are no feature additions and currently ECoS still requires legacy mode. 

Beta testers are required to keep the app private. Sharing of screenshots etc is not permitted. 

Being a tester is easier than ever! All you need to do is download “TestFlight” from Apple in the App Store, sign in and install TouchCab as if it was in the App Store. TestFlight is basically an App Store for beta tests and is provided by Apple. Once we have accepted you as a tester, you’ll see an option to install TouchCab.

This will be a full version of TouchCab so if you currently only have a free version you’ll get to try all features. Please note however that this is a Beta Test. It can be revoked at any time, and you should not rely on it as your sole mode of operation at an exhibition! By all means test it at exhibitions but have a backup!

Thanks
Mike"

Although this is a small point release which brings 64 bit support, that does not mean we are not working to bring more features and improvements - particularly to ECoS / Legacy Mode. It is important that new features work, so they are being internally tested. We feel that keeping an "as is" version available on the App Store is important too, so that is why there are no feature updates in this release.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning guys.

Apologies for the lack of updates on this thread, our main outlet has been Facebook, and I have not been getting notifications for this thread for some reason!

Anyway, there is some good news! We are now looking for Beta Testers.

The following is from our Facebook post:

"Beta Test. 

Good news! We are looking for beta testers for TouchCab. If you are running any version of iOS from 8 to 11 and are willing to help test, please send an email to support@touchcab.com with the following information:

First name

Last name

iTunes Apple ID (this is usually the same as your iCloud one)

DCC system Type

iOS version

iOS product type (iPhone/iPod/iPad)

iOS product version (5s/6/6s/7 etc)

Your country and iOS language. 

If you need help to find any of this info please email or comment below. 

We do not recommend giving this information in the comments, please email or private message. 

This Beta Test is for an small point update (likely 1.8.4) which adds 64 bit support. There are no feature additions and currently ECoS still requires legacy mode. 

Beta testers are required to keep the app private. Sharing of screenshots etc is not permitted. 

Being a tester is easier than ever! All you need to do is download “TestFlight” from Apple in the App Store, sign in and install TouchCab as if it was in the App Store. TestFlight is basically an App Store for beta tests and is provided by Apple. Once we have accepted you as a tester, you’ll see an option to install TouchCab.

This will be a full version of TouchCab so if you currently only have a free version you’ll get to try all features. Please note however that this is a Beta Test. It can be revoked at any time, and you should not rely on it as your sole mode of operation at an exhibition! By all means test it at exhibitions but have a backup!

Thanks

Mike"

Although this is a small point release which brings 64 bit support, that does not mean we are not working to bring more features and improvements - particularly to ECoS / Legacy Mode. It is important that new features work, so they are being internally tested. We feel that keeping an "as is" version available on the App Store is important too, so that is why there are no feature updates in this release.

Thanks

Mike

Hi

Does this mean that there will be no support for IOS 6?

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Does this mean that there will be no support for IOS 6?

Cheers

Paul

I'm reading the last paragraph as the 'as is' app will be retained on the App Store but not developed any futher for older iOS versions

I'm reading the last paragraph as the 'as is' app will be retained on the App Store but not developed any futher for older iOS versions

Depends in part on what Apple imposes on Apps in the Store.   Some press reports are that anything which isn't 64bit (ie. for new Apple products) will be removed.  That leaves a problem for legacy hardware owners who won't be able to get old-but-serviceable versions of Apps in the future, so the approach of "use your old phone" fails.   This is made worse by a strong tendency in model rail for things to take decades, hardware to hang around for ages, etc,, in contrast to Apple's world view of "anything over about 5 years should be heading to the dump".

Not too sure about that.

It looks like the "as-is" refers to the features in TouchCab, rather than the App itself, implying that no changes will be made other than to adjust the code in the App to run on the 64-bit versions of iOS. After the release of iOS11 it appears that 32-bit Apps will not be allowed in the AppStore, so a legacy version will not be able to be there. If you have an older device, that means that you will no longer be able to access a 32-bit version of TouchCab. At that point it will be important to have a backup of the device so that you can "restore from backup" if you need to replace a device with another older one which still uses a 32-bit version of iOS.

By the way, despite reports to the contrary, TouchCab was still visible in the AppStore a few minutes ago . . .

John

• RMweb Gold

By the way, despite reports to the contrary, TouchCab was still visible in the AppStore a few minutes ago . . .

John

That issue has been bought up a few times, it's normally because the users store is set to show "iPad only apps" once you change it to show "iPad and iPhone" (or whatever it says) it will then display TouchCab

Hi,

The app will not be developed any further for iOS 7 and before. This is in part because it is not really viable (testing is very hard given the lack of users on older versions of iOS) and mostly because as of iOS11 it is not possible to develop and submit apps for iOS 6. (It may be possible by using older Xcode versions - but who knows if Apple will accept these submissions).

As far as I am aware though, TouchCab will still be available for download if you have already purchased, and should we manage to submit a version for iOS 6 or 7 using an old version of Xcode, then the 32 bit version will be updated. Apple are not getting rid of 32 bit apps as such, they are getting rid of 32 bit ONLY apps.

The vast majority of our users are on the current available version of iOS, so we are releasing a version for iOS 8 and up. If we then find that a fix is needed for older 32 bit iOS versions, we will try to do something about that, but there will certainly not be any feature updates for older iOS versions.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Mike

Not too sure about that.

It looks like the "as-is" refers to the features in TouchCab, rather than the App itself, implying that no changes will be made other than to adjust the code in the App to run on the 64-bit versions of iOS. After the release of iOS11 it appears that 32-bit Apps will not be allowed in the AppStore, so a legacy version will not be able to be there. If you have an older device, that means that you will no longer be able to access a 32-bit version of TouchCab. At that point it will be important to have a backup of the device so that you can "restore from backup" if you need to replace a device with another older one which still uses a 32-bit version of iOS.

By the way, despite reports to the contrary, TouchCab was still visible in the AppStore a few minutes ago . . .

John

Thanks John,

You are right in what you are saying. The next release will be a 64 bit update, with no feature updates. However, that does not mean there will not be feature updates coming after this.

Apple will "remove" 32 bit apps from the App Store - but only for 64 bit users. So, users of 32 bit iOS's "should" still be able to see and purchase the "old" app. Users of newer iOS versions will see the new app. Even if Apple decide to remove 32 bit apps completely from sale, they will still be available to re-download in you purchases history in the App Store App.

Interesting that you could see the App still, I couldn't! Having said that, I may have tried to look on iOS 11 which could explain it!

Thanks

Mike

Interesting that you could see the App still, I couldn't! Having said that, I may have tried to look on iOS 11 which could explain it!

Thanks

Mike

Out of interest, it is still visible to me on an iPhone 7 running iOS10.3.2

John

• Like 1

Just wanted to let folks know I had a beta copy of the Touch cab sent to me and it worked great on my layout all weekend using an Iphone 6 and IOS 10.3.2, back to the good old days of touchcab for all

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

iphone 6, doesn't find my railway at all now. iphone 4s clicks on right away.

Any others having problems?

Any idea when new 64 bit version will be out?

Syd

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

We have just had three app versions approved for Beta Testing which are now available for the Beta Testers to download.

These are:

TouchCab (The App Store Version - so this will work as an upgrade as if it was downloaded from the App Store).

TouchCab Free (Again, will work as an upgrade)

TouchCab Beta (To test new features but will allow you to keep your current "production" version should you need it).

An App Store launch is just round the corner and we hope to get this out before September 12th which is likely when iOS 11 will launch.

Thanks

Mike

Hi all,

We have just had three app versions approved for Beta Testing which are now available for the Beta Testers to download.

These are:

TouchCab (The App Store Version - so this will work as an upgrade as if it was downloaded from the App Store).

TouchCab Free (Again, will work as an upgrade)

TouchCab Beta (To test new features but will allow you to keep your current "production" version should you need it).

An App Store launch is just round the corner and we hope to get this out before September 12th which is likely when iOS 11 will launch.

Thanks

Mike

That's good news all round!

John

Hi all,

I thought I'd send a quick update to those not "friends" on Facebook...

We have now got V1.8.4 sat "Waiting for Developer Release" for the App Store. This means, pretty much as it says! It is waiting for us to hit the go button! This is based on build 1.8.4.6 - there have been a few more builds since this pushed to Beta Testers, so I just want to check a few last crash logs before we do this...

I'm also already testing 1.8.5 with beta testers. Some improvements will come to this release including support for Italian and hopefully some features may be improved or added.

We are currently looking for help with translations, if you'd like to help, let me know, thanks!

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My two iphones both got an update to Touchcab last night :imsohappy:

Bad news is I hurt my back so for a few weeks I can't get up to the railway to make sure it still works with the older 'phone that is used only for the railway (4S).

Syd

• Like 1

IT IS HERE!

After a year and a half of work in the background, we have now launched TouchCab V1.8.4 to the App Store! :)

While it may seem like not a lot has changed, we've been working on things in the background, and are already testing V1.8.5 with Beta Testers, and even later versions privately!

So, what's new in 1.8.4?

• Updated UI to be more inline with the current iOS versions
  • Built for iOS 8 and above, on 32 and 64 Bit devices
  • Adapts to all iPhone/iPod screen sizes automagically
  • ECoS is now discovered AutoMagically

What's Next?

• 1.8.5 is already being tested with additional Language support
  • 1.8.6 is being tested internally with some nice new additions  :sungum: 
  • 1.9.0 is in development with new features planned
  • 2.0.0 is, erm, shhh - it's a secret  :onthequiet:
Edited by AberdeenMRC - Mike
  • Like 2