NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

I survived a tiring Scaleforum North but now recovering from the hassle.

Good to see many of my customers in the flesh rather than talk over the WEB. I hope all had an enjoyable weekend.

The B15 was very well received, looks like I need to order more.

Thanks to all who came to chat and also to suggest future kits. The trouble is I cannot do them all!

ArthurK

• Like 2

Hey Arthur that B15 seriously looks the business, and your dead right that they have far more poise and elegance than the B16; it's when the balance is about spot on in in my view and its when steam power, elegance and North Eastern all come together in ways that it's hard to put your finger on. I'm definitely having one.

I'm also really glad that that you're doing the C6 Atlantics next, another spot on example of Edwardian power and glory from the North Eastern powerhouse of the British Empire when Great Britain really was great!

Arthur, you are a true star, what you are doing with your work makes me really happy and I can't support you enough. Keep up the good work mate, and Cheers.

Oh, and happy Easter.

• RMweb Premium

B15 UPDATE

The first batch of eight has sold out. A second batch (also eight) are due in about 3-4 weeks. Most of this batch are also spoken for. If you want one please let me know. It looks like there will have to be a third batch but that might be the last .

ArthurK

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

N10 Ready for release

I am currently awaiting the next batch of B15 etches which are due any time now so that those of you that have not yet received your kit should not have much longer to wait. I have increased the batch number from eight to twelve so that there are some available from the new batch. I have full stocks of castings for these.

Meanwhile I have a limited number of the N10 now ready. This is the NER Class U 0-6-2T. There will be more but this first batch is booked. Anyone who would like one of these please let me know so that I can judge the size of the second batch.

post-6751-0-77587600-1400180878_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-58704500-1400180887_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Arthur,I've just recently found this thread, your kits all look superb, although most I'm afraid are too early for my period.

A J73 would be nice if they're still available or likely to be any more, or have I missed these?

It'll be good to see a proper model of the D20, is there any chance of provision for the re-built tender version with LNER style coping plates?

And a proper Q7 would be interesting!

One question on your kits still, looking though the thread, are boilers supplied ready rolled or are the kits just flat etches?

Regards,  Ken

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ken

I am pretty sure that there are two or three J73s around but probably not packed. I will check.

Progress on others in the range is in the comments below,

The J24, Q5/2 are also available as is the A6. I am currently packing a batch of six B15s But there is a problem with one of the lost wax castings which will hold up several of the six. I am waiting for more N10 and Tennant etches which should arrive early im August.

Work is proceeding on the two J77 variants and the J71. Work on the D20 has slowed but it should be around by late Autumn. The Q7 requires final checks and new casting masters.

Finally work on the C6 (V/09 version)  is progressing well so that it should appear in the new year. This will be followed be the earlier version with the full width splashers.

I expect to be at ExpoEM Manchester in September. If you are visiting there please drop by.

ArthurK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally work on the C6 (V/09 version)  is progressing well so that it should appear in the new year. This will be followed be the earlier version with the full width splashers.

I expect to be at ExpoEM Manchester in September. If you are visiting there please drop by.

ArthurK

That's exciting news regarding the C6s. Bothe variants are certainly useful!

• RMweb Premium

The choice of the C6 as opposed to the C7 was largely due to experience gained with the B15. The layout of cylinders and footplate of the V/09 and the B15 is very similar. A cradle will be used for the V/09 in the same way as that of the B15.

Of course the earlier C6s with require redesign of the upper footplate structure which is why they will follow behind the V/09 version which has a lot of Raven features.

ArthurK

The choice of the C6 as opposed to the C7 was largely due to experience gained with the B15. The layout of cylinders and footplate of the V/09 and the B15 is very similar. A cradle will be used for the V/09 in the same way as that of the B15.

Of course the earlier C6s with require redesign of the upper footplate structure which is why they will follow behind the V/09 version which has a lot of Raven features.

ArthurK

I know it's a possible big ask, but could a C7 follow in the future. The DJH one is simply wrong underneath the running plate (in particular the cylinders) as can be seen below.

5421_l.jpg

(Vectis image)

Would the later build C6 with it's splasher arrangement share bits with the C7?

• RMweb Premium

I have made similar comments in the past but I simply cannot do them all! The easiest to do would be the B13 which could use the B15 footplate and underframe. Perhaps I will add that to my range but these disappeared in the 30s.

Those still to complete are the J77s the D20 and the Q7. I hope these will be available by the end of the year.

The earliest that I could start on the C7 would be sometime next year but I am not getting any younger! Although the C6 and C7 shared the same boiler there are significant differences in the footplate between the V/09 and the C7. These changes were brought about by the chage of drive from the rear axle to the front axle which required stretching the distance between bogie centre an leading coupled wheels.  The rear small splasher outside of the main splasher disappeared but an additional coupling rod splasher appeared outside of the box above the footplate and there were those annoying steps at the front of the running plate box and on the valve-chest covers.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

I have made similar comments in the past but I simply cannot do them all! The easiest to do would be the B13 which could use the B15 footplate and underframe. Perhaps I will add that to my range but these disappeared in the 30s.. The earliest that I could start on the C7 would be sometime next year but I am not getting any younger!

ArthurK

A B13 would be nice, but sadly apart from the Departmental one I think they had all gone by the late 1930s.

I appreciate what you say regarding the C7. It's a shame the existing DJH kit isn't very good. I'd certainly be after several kits if you did one. 

All the best

Tom

• 3 months later...

Arthur,

In case you are not aware, 52F models have announced they will be producing the LNER A8 which I believe you had on your longer term list to design.

Perhaps you could replace it with the F8 tank you have also referred to, a Jidenco LNER F8 tank recently sold on Ebay for over £100.00 and there were plenty of people bidding on it. I know you posted that this loco had a fairly early demise but it still seems popular.

Are there any updates as to progress with the D20 and the Q7 loco's and of course the gangwayed coaches?

Thanks,

SteveT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

DECEMBER UPDATE

There has been significant progress over the past few months.

J77 (NER290)

The Worsdell cab version is complete except for the last four brass castings: Front springs, brake standard, tank vents and injectors. The latter are prominently attached to the ashpan sides. I hope to get these off for casting next week but unfortunately the kit will not be ready before Chistmas. Release will be in January. The Fletcher cab version require a change to the artwork and will be delayed until  February.

See the Kit-building section for Mike Meggison's build of these two.

D20 (NER R)

This still needs some castings. This is largely my fault but I aim to complete the masters in December. With luck this should be released in late February.

Q7 (NER S3)

This was pushed aside in favour of work on the D20 and J77s. However most of the castings necessary are available and the artwork has been proven. It requires the production artwork. I intend to push the work on this forward in the New Year.

J71 (NER E)

This a new project. The first body etch arrived today. A quick build is required. The underframe needs a substantial rework. But these smaller locos are easier to check than the more complex ones and with luck will appear before Scalefour North next April.

C6 (NER V09)

This Is one of the more complex kits. The first will be the V09 version with splashers similar to those on the B15 and C7. The tender is also completely new being the 4125 gallon version with none self-trimming coalwell. This tender was also used on the early C7s although some of these had outside frames with oval cut-outs rather than the flat D shape. Both styles are provided. These tenders were passed on to the Q6s. I have no release date as yet but with luck I might have the prototype at Scalefour North. This will be followed be the original 'V' with the wide splashers.

FUTURE PROJECTS 

I have no definite plans for anything beyond the above list. I depends on what takes my fancy. I know that several have suggested projects both large and small (C7 and F8) but we will have to wait and see. Is there a demand for the early J72s? the were nearly identical with the J71 apart from wheel diameter and wheel base.

The post above (with C7 photo) suggest that this might share parts with the V09. In many respects this is true. They shared the same boiler (although The superheating vacuum control valves differed. The splashers, if not identical, were very similar. Being brass any kit of mine would not have the same problems as one in white metal but the clearances around the cylinders would be extremely tight. The tender is the passenger version of that behind the Q7.  Some day!

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A NEW KIT FOR CHRISTMAS?

The following are currently available.

NER Class 1463 Class "Tennant"  2-4-0 (LNER E5). Two only. There may not be any more except by special order.

NER Class S2 4-6-0 (LNER B15).

NER Class W 4-6-2T (LNER A6).

LNER Class Q5/2 0-8-0 (NER T/T1 with boiler designed by Darlington for H&B 0-8-0s which were subsequently withdrawn).

NER Class U 0-6-2T (LNER N10)

NER Class P 0-6-0 (LNER J24)

There will be one more batch of six NER Class L 0-6-0Ts. These will probably arrive this week. These will be the last.

NER Class T/T1 0-8-0 These should arrive with the NER L Class. Only two are available.

The two attached PDF files list the range and prices.

ArthurK

NORTHEASTERN KITS Price List.pdf

NORTHEASTERN KITS.pdf

Edited by ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

I am always pleased to receive photographs of completed kits. These two from Eric Fry and Neville stead depict commission builds of the A6, one in LNER livery and the other  in lined BR livery.

The LNER variant (689) has the superheated dia. 63C boiler whilst the other (69791) has the dia. 63 B boiler. This latter has the addition of a T-strap connecting the tanks and also the much fatter dome as carried by these later boilers.

Both are to OO gauge standards.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-35137300-1417444714_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-04109700-1417444724_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just finished building a T1 from one of these kits, it's the first time I have had one to build. It all fitted together very well and the finished result looks good. It is powered with a Mashima 14x26 on a High Level gearbox on the driving axle, wheels are Gibson to EM gauge, no springing or compensation fitted. A brass chimney has been substituted for the cast one at the customer's request.

post-1643-0-58255600-1418322495_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-22838700-1418322542_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-10996400-1418322626_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-29145600-1418322649_thumb.jpg

Inside the cab I have used one of our lever reverse etches - nothing in the kit for this early version.

post-1643-0-31504300-1418322568_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-58686500-1418322735_thumb.jpg

Front of tender, no water scoop on this one - incidentally it's rather unusual to have the handbrake on the driver's side of the loco. The fixing nut is rather prominent, it will have to be hidden with a heap of coal.

post-1643-0-76584400-1418322822_thumb.jpg

The view from underneath, plenty of spacers to fit sleeper strip for the pickup wires. I only used one layer of the coupling rod etch, both would have been too thick. On the loco I left out the screw and nut at the cab end, made up a clip fitting instead, this can be seen soldered inside the drag beam. Frames, wheels, brakes and gearbox all sprayed black before fitting motion and pickups as in my usual practice - the painter will have to repaint the cylinder wrappers though.

Washed, grit blasted and all ready to post to the customer now.

• Like 11

Michael, your right with the double thickness of coupling rod. I have built the Q6 from Dave Bradwell which is similar in the way of the coupling rods. The front crank pin will need to be a recessed type. It is one of the characteristics of the big Ravens. This is not a criticism as it looks like a great build.

• RMweb Premium

Recessed crankpin fasteners are not too difficult but I don't generally do it unless I have to. My comment about the rods was that they are actually overscale at two thicknesses of this material and one does the job perfectly well. As with many locos the leading crankpin and crosshead never coincide anyway.

• RMweb Premium

A single layer of etch is 0.45mm. That is less than 1.5inches in full scale. Only the smallest locos (E.G. J71) have rods of that thickness. Most of the larger have rods about 3" thick. That is two layers. The bosses are even thicker.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK