NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

I realised this morning that I had not posted pictures of the completed test builds. Arthur has already noted some dimensional errors in the LNER diagram above, but they won't massively change the character of the finished vehicles.

The NER diagram is the upper one.

AK_NER_SCV_zpsbkxumxrg.jpg

AK_LNER_SCV_zps1zuq1rlw.jpg

A list of the required castings can be found on my workbench thread in post 794. Buffers for the LNER diagram can be obtained from 51L or Mike Trice's Shapeways shop, Mike's being more accurate in length.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

Depends on how you define "quality".

New designs may be different in their approach - dependant on the designers preferences - but it doesn't always mean better. Some of the most highly regarded kits on the market were designed twenty or so years ago.

Arthur's kits are highly regarded. His approach to certain design aspects are different to mine but whether they are "better" will depend on the builder's experience and preferences.

Quality is not a term I would use in this particular comparison.

For me it is a matter of

1. ease of build (that is a combination of how long it takes me to complete the kit and how much extra work is required to make the parts fit together (a mixture of good instructions/diagrams/prototype information/available references. and design - remembering I'm not a great fan of tabs)

2. availability and that means the complete kit - for example if one kit comes with the right buffers and the other only informs me of where to get them (possibly out of stock)

2. Prototypical correctness - Much can be forgiven but there are limits.

3. price - that ugly word also comes into the equation of quality. I certainly do not expect to pay a higher price just because a kit is "new" There are some manufacturer's around who rightly expect their kits to have a high price ticket but there are also some excellent kits that have relatively cheap prices.

4. materials - well everyone knows my distaste of resin or plastic components in a kit. It doesn't stop me building a kit, but given a choice it is a deciding factor in that judgement of quality, white metal castings vs brass, n/s vs brass it all is in that equation.

I don't understand why Arthur is producing a J25 kit. London Road Models have one in their range and would have already supplied most of the potential market.

Now I haven't built the LRM J25 and I doubt if the market has been exhausted. Though if it has then I guess Arthur is not going to sell many (his risk). If it hasn't then I guess LRM will be making a bigger return on sales than Arthur.

So, I do not see that there is much of a problem. Customers get a wider range to choose from and if the quality is so different then one or the other will get the major portion of the sales.

However, I also agree that there must be other prototypes to work on a whole range from other long past out of production prototypes and lesser quality kits that still seem to fetch silly prices s/h simply because no one can be bothered improving and making them available.

• RMweb Premium
NORTHEASTERN KITS

FURTHER UPDATES

Today more etches arrived this time updated etches for the early J72s (with the J71 style of frame and short bunker). These twenty locos of the original batch were all numbered 17XX which is an easy way of identifying them in LNER days.

Also  in these post was the first test etches for the later version with the longer bunker.

These two along with the J71 are now awaiting white metal and brass castings. Most of the masters for these are complete. In the J71 kit I will include dumb buffers. These were needed when shunting ancient chaldon wagons which were abundant in NE collieries up to the late 1930s. Two J71s were still so equipped in1939.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
NORTHEASTERN KITS

J72 LONG BUNKER - THE BUILD BEGINS

I decided that I really must start a test build from the etches that I recently received for the later builds of the J72. I have also decided that my test builds will in future be on this thread rather than on "Arthur's Workshop" so here goes!

The raw etches shown are here. Not a good photo as the light bounces back from the shiny metal.

post-6751-0-26203000-1468330397_thumb.jpg

I clipped out the footplate layers and the tanks from the fret then folded up the tanks. No clever stuff here, all done with the fingers but with the help of a couple of files to push the angles to 90 degrees. Then checked a fit to the two footplate layers. The lower layer only has two slots to take the tags on the front of the tanks. All the remaining tags on the tank sides and bunker locate in slots in the upper layer and rebates along the sides of the lower layer. Next step is to bend the 'half tags' inwards to hold the two layers firmly in place, so much so I will not bother to use 8BA bolts to hold the two layers together as is my usual practice. The are enough access holes in the lower layer to introduce solder. These are sufficiently far from the tags on the tanks not to cause problems with them being soldered inadvertently.  The next step will be to dismantle the bits. to press up the rivets in the upper layer and the reassemble for soldering.

post-6751-0-45937200-1468330405_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-74305600-1468330411_thumb.jpg

I thought a view of the underside might help. The footplate angles solder directly to the protruding tags. There are two small fold down tabs to locate these at the front (not folded down in the photo).

.post-6751-0-02130100-1468336160_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Seeing this is getting me all excited about my J71, which, I suspectm at well follow a similar constructional process!

Cheers

J

Yes the construction methods for the J71 are the same. The major difference apart from the Sandbox/splasher size is the cab innards which have had to be modified to cater for the splashers protruding into the cab. In the J72 I raised the front of the cab floor a little to clear OO wheel flanges. The J72 wheel splashers were concealed inside the tanks in the prototypes but even with P4 standards this is not possible in the model, hence the raised floor.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

KIT WAITING LIST

I have a few names of customers requesting kits. The names are in some cases incomplete and I have no means of contacting them. 

In particular I have two requests for the D20 but no addresses. 

I you feel that you've been forgotten please send me a PM

ArhurK

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I may be wrong, but I thought that George Norton design the LRM J21/J25 some 30 years ago when possibly the only alternative was a Nu-Cast kit. I have recently come across the description of a LRM J25 build (by a Mr Daddyman), that used etched parts from another, more recent, kit. As Arthur already has a J24 kit developing a J25 using essentially the same constructional methods, castings and tender would appear an entirely logical development.

You must be referring to my account in the NERA Express magazine, which detailed the considerable work I had to do make the LRM kit capture the look of a J25. I sent the account of the build to John at LRM and he courteously conceded the points I made, so I don't see why "LNWR Modeller" would try to defend the kit.

Among the major but essential jobs I did where the kit simply did not capture the character of the J25 were: replacing the tender body with a Bradwell, as the LRM flare was wrong and the tender as a whole lacked detail; replacing the cabsides as the window shape was wrong: scratchbuilding the smokebox to get the correct NER "stepped" back to the smokebox; and creating a new smokebox door. I had to do a lot of other work to create parts not provided in the kit, or to represent variations not catered for (coal rails, dome, etc). Chassis detail is also poor, especially round the ashpan, and the brake gear lacks refinement and is too far from the wheels.

So, yes, I'd say a new kit is needed. 

You must be referring to my account in the NERA Express magazine, which detailed the considerable work I had to do make the LRM kit capture the look of a J25. I sent the account of the build to John at LRM and he courteously conceded the points I made, so I don't see why "LNWR Modeller" would try to defend the kit.

Among the major but essential jobs I did where the kit simply did not capture the character of the J25 were: replacing the tender body with a Bradwell, as the LRM flare was wrong and the tender as a whole lacked detail; replacing the cabsides as the window shape was wrong: scratchbuilding the smokebox to get the correct NER "stepped" back to the smokebox; and creating a new smokebox door. I had to do a lot of other work to create parts not provided in the kit, or to represent variations not catered for (coal rails, dome, etc). Chassis detail is also poor, especially round the ashpan, and the brake gear lacks refinement and is too far from the wheels.

So, yes, I'd say a new kit is needed.

I wasn't defending the kit (I haven't built one and am not an expert on most NER matters) but was questioning the commercial viability of a second etched kit where another has been available for some time and has already taken up a lot of the sales potential. I don't know who was the designer of the original Connoisseurs Choice kit, but George Norton wasn't the sort of person who would knowingly produce an inaccurate model.

The stepped back to the smokebox isn't easy to reproduce (it had a quarter circle section brass cover IIRC) as I found when designing the NER G1/LNER D23 for LRM.

However, it has become clear that there is a lot of enthusiasm for a new J25 from Arthur and I am sure it will get plenty of support from RMweb members.

Jol

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Arthur,

Do you have any updates on progress with the new loco kits you are developing.

Regards, S.

I am afraid personal circumstances have caused a slowdown in the development of these kits but they are not forgotten and indeed (slow) development is still progressing. I have six sets of etches for the J71 and the short and long bunker versions of the J72  to hand but these are awaiting castings. There are still  a few masters to complete. 

I seems unlikely the these three will appear before Xmas. Time is running out. The cattle boxes are awaiting revised artwork which is partially complete. This has entailed complete redrawing if the sides as there were bad errors on the original though it was true to the drawing used to produce it.

I will add an additional note as to the current stock of kits. There six of each version of the J77 awaiting completion of packing. I will check the rest.

ArthutrK

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

I thought that I should explain the lack of postings on this thread as I know that some of you are wondering what has happened to the developments announced some months ago.

My dear wife, June, developed Alzheimer's 3-4 years ago and it became progressively worse during 2016. She was hospitalised in October following a fall and passed away a few days before Xmas. June has been my soul-mate for nigh on seventy years since we met when she was just fifteen. There was an immediate bond between us. We were married for sixty two and a half years. Needless to say her death has left an enormous hole in my life and everything else has been pushed aside. I am slowly coming to terms with my loss but it will take some time.

Looking to the future I hope to get things moving again soon. I already six sets of etches ready for the J71 and for both versions of the J72. These lack castings though I do have the masters for most of them. Then there are the instructions to complete.

I have six of each of the two versions of the J77 partially packed. I know that some of you are waiting for these. You will get a note when they are ready.

Most of the design for the Q7 is complete but I intend to include some detail for the inside valve gear which is very visible between the front frames. This has not yet been finalised. Because of recent events the J25 is on hold but only requires some cab detail before preparing the artwork. Beyond that there is still the C6 to complete.

There will be further releases of the D20 and N10.

Please no messages of condolence on these pages I don't want to be reminded of June's death every time I open up the thread. In her memory I have changed my avatar to a photo of her in happier times.

ArthurK

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

J77 (NER 290)

As most of you will know things have been at a near standstill since December but I am starting to get things moving again. I have had kits awaiting packing that arrived in the last quarter of last year. Amongst these are N10 and D20 (six of each). Other kits which have been partially packed at the same time are both versions of the J77 Fletcher cab and the later rebuilds with the Worsdell cab. Today I have just finished packing these (again six of each). I have names against most of these and they will be receiving an Email from me in the next few days.

The first photo is of a build of the Fletcher cab version by Mike Meggison. The second is my own build of the later Worsdell cab nersion

post-6751-0-99068600-1496847591_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-38994600-1496848344_thumb.jpg

As I said above I have list of the names of people who have expressed an interest in these but there may be a few not spoken for. Any one interested send me a PM or Email.

ArthurK

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Tennant 2-4-0

I have a new batch of four of these kits. These were by request of  a customer. His has gone but that leaves three others. 

post-6751-0-08101500-1505475478_thumb.jpg

This kit is unlikely to be repeated so i anyone wants one of these please contact me via Email or PM. Price is £110 including P&P.

I also have a new batch of D20s. and A6s. Those at the top of the lists will receive an Email shortly.

ArthurK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Tennant 2-4-0

I have a new batch of four of these kits. These were by request of a customer. His has gone but that leaves three others.

attachicon.gifDSCN0116.JPG

This kit is unlikely to be repeated so i anyone wants one of these please contact me via Email or PM. Price is £110 including P&P.

I also have a new batch of D20s. and A6s. Those at the top of the lists will receive an Email shortly.

ArthurK

And it arrived today and he's very happy with it. Though I'll be the one who ends up building it I suspect!

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Tennant 2-4-0

I have a new batch of four of these kits. These were by request of  a customer. His has gone but that leaves three others. 

attachicon.gifDSCN0116.JPG

ArthurK

Lovely loco, but way too early for me. I must get on with those D20s that I bought last winter!

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Tennant 2-4-0

Just one of of these left now. It is unlikely that these will be reordered so if you want one this is probably your last chance.

ArthurK

Mike Meggison has started his test build of the J25 and is posting the progress on his thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

UPDATE

Things have been slow over the past few months but I hope to do a bit of catching up. I have recently received a new batch of D20s. Some of these are reserved but there are others available.  

N10 I have a few available but I am unable to contact one of the intended recipients (due possibly to a change in Email address) so if you are waiting for one of these please send a PM.

I also have names against the W 4-6-0T and the 4-6-2 Rebuild. The etches for these are expected shortly. I will be in touch with those on the list. These two kits are unlikely to be repeated.

J25 0-6-0

This awaits a new chimney casting with "windjabber". This should be available in March. First deliveries will be available in April. I have a queue awaiting this. If you want one let me know.

J71 & J72 0-6-0T

Still awaiting missing castings on these but the end is in sight!

Q7 0-8-0 and C6 4-4-2

These have been delayed whilst I try to clear the backlog of the others above. 

I have made some progress on the 'innards' of the Q7 but there is a lot of detail still to resolve.

The C6 will appear in both variants - narrow and wide splashers.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

FURTHER UPDATE

J77 One kit not mentioned in the previous posting was the J77. I have limited numbers of both versions of this available

post-6751-0-49002000-1517502963_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-90616000-1517504010_thumb.jpg

Anyone wanting one of these then send me a PM.

ArthurK

• Like 3