Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

The foamboard replacement for the plywood base has been completed

All the models have been placed in approx. their final locations (in plan, if not in elevation)

The board is now being marked up with all the roadways, and the outline for the viaducts carrying the approach tracks from the viaduct bridges into the train shed are underway. This will be followed by marking and cutting out the canals

A few pictures of the models strewn across the baseboard -

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 001.JPG

Looking over the CLC goods yard

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 002.JPG

Station (Train Shed) forecourt with the Parcels Office and Station Offices

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 003.JPG

CLC Goods Warehouse with the GNR Goods Warehouse in the background

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 012.JPG

GNR Goods Warehouse viewed from Deansgate over the cartway/high level access. The red card structure is the walls of the Deansgate Shops behind the  Deansgate frontage screen which is on the modelling board still having the sandstone detailing being added

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 004.JPG

View down Deansgate towards the GNR and CLC bridges

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 006.JPG

The bottom of Deansgate with the Crown Hotel and the CLC bridge - The Railway Hotel requires placing to the right of the bridge

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 007.JPG

The legs may be up in the air, but it's not dead, just safe to move when the trackwork is being laid. The GNR bridge over Great Bridgwater Street Gives the access to the the GNR Warehouse and Goods Yard. The visible overhang from the train shed will be extended with brick viaducting,and will carry the external platforms and canopies, and approach trackwork over Great Bridgewater Street/Trafford Street

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 005.JPG

The brick viaducts carrying the GNR trackwork to the junction with the CLC tracks, and over towards the Castlefield and Cornbrook Viaduct bridges

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 009.JPG

The Castlefield and Cornbrook Viaduct bridges

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 010.JPG

View towards the Carriage Sidings board (using the MSJ&AR trackway under the Viaducts)

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 008.JPG

The Cornbrook Viaduct #2 Bridge the first span of which will be inside and the second span outside through the opening into the garden

attachicon.gif2013-09-13 011.JPG

The 1:2500 Ordance Survey Maps used to layout the roads and tracks

Hi Ron,

Seeing the pictures you have put on here today are stunning :O  :clapping: , and shows how much you have done and how much you still have to do with the trackwork.  Looking forward to seeing more progression.

Colin

Hi Ron,

Seeing the pictures you have put on here today are stunning :O  :clapping: , and shows how much you have done and how much you still have to do with the trackwork.  Looking forward to seeing more progression.

Colin

Hi, Colin

Thanks - Now most of my time can be devoted to modelling, and progress should speed up a little :sungum:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

I think we're missing a button, 'like' or 'craftsmanship' seem barely adequate. Just incredible Ron.

Hi, Arthur

I'm missing a button at about 1.30am - 2.00 am to switch off, and get some sleep - the eyes go before the head hits the modelling board  :O 

Cheers

Ron

Wow amazing, I always look forward to your updates

This one is the mother of all updates.

Brilliant Ron, absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!

Hi, Paul

Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated

I thought showing all the models strewn across the baseboard would be a bit naff, but it would at least show the overall feel for the extent of the layout, and how much work is needed to fill in all the 'open' space

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs

I thought showing all the models strewn across the baseboard would be a bit naff

"Strewn" - grabbed a handful and scattered them randomly across the baseboard? I bet not.

"A bit naff" - nothing you have ever shown us has ever been naff, Ron. From completed structures right down to photos of tiny components and the tools you have developed to get the job done, I think I can speak for anyone following your build when I say, please keep being as "naff," as you like!

Looking at your most recent photos, I have realised two thing: firstly, the amazing scale of your accomplishments so far and secondly, that we have many years of inspiration to come from you. I'm looking forward to more upcoming naffness.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Had to scrap a few of the sandstone details, as they were not up to an acceptable standard, and were taking too long to produce. So last evening tested a few different ways of producing the sandstone detailing in just one bay first, and have found the best way forward for my way of working with styrene strip -

post-10633-0-85369700-1379262540_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-49465400-1379262491_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-50940700-1379262125_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-83505600-1379262208_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-58310800-1379262286_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-97476400-1379262355_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-47199400-1379262426_thumb.jpg

This afternoon did a little bit of 'navvying', digging out for the Rochdale Canal, and installing the previously made Canal Lock diorama by Crown Street /Whitworth Street West -

post-10633-0-20154200-1379263287_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-44935400-1379263352_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-20375200-1379263416_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-77903600-1379263473_thumb.jpg

Note: The towpath diverts and runs under the pavement and into the tunnel under the lower part of Whitworth Street West and under Deansgate emerging by the remains of Signal Cabin 'A'

• Like 10

Wow that is really really good

Are you planing to have moving raod vehicle. With the size of the layout are you planing so computer control of the layout.

Well done

Richard

Hi, Richard

No moving road vehicles. DCC, but no computer control - I want to be able to operate it first hand, so no route setting, etc., but the signalling will interlock with the turnouts, etc.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

..... Can't wait for the track work to begin!! 

Hi, Ian

In the process of outlining the high level track/viaducting, so I can at least place the existing built track in their proper place, and start running some electric cabling for the DCC track supplies, turnout motor supplies and signalling/lighting, etc.

Cheers

Ron

Inspirational work, Ron.

I was intrigued by the little two road north light engine shed with a water tank over half of it. I've never seen this before. Is it LNWR and can you point me to some prototypical photos of it, please?

Ian

Hi, Ian

Thanks for your comment

The 'Engine Shed' was built by GNR for use by locomotives serving the GNR Deansgate Goods Warehouse/Yards. It was never used as such. As it was built backing on to Ivy street Manchester Corporation banned its use by locomotives for fear that one could be propelled through the end wall onto the street below (that part of Castlefield was residential at the time). It was used for a short period as a wagon repair shop

There are three photographs that I am aware of -

Scenes from the Past: 16 (Part One) The Midland Route from Manchester - Central to New Mills - E.M. Johnson - Foxline - ISBN 1 870119 20 7

View from the West Circa 1958 - Page 35 Top

Scenes from the Past: 48 Manchester's Central Station and the Great Northern Railway Goods Warehouse - E.M. Johnson - Foxline - ISBN 1 870119 79 7

View from the East Circa 1962 - Page 68 Bottom

Aerial view Circa 1930 - Pages 28/29 - Top Centre (This picture also shows the viaducts and approach tracks into the GNR Warehouse and Manchester Central)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs