Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Ron,

I've watched this from a afar for a couple of years and I just thought I would say it does look bloo*dy marvellous!!

You dedication is palpable and these last few views are starting to show the beginnings of a model of a location rather than of buildings.  It is great to see it gel.

Ron,

I've watched this from a afar for a couple of years and I just thought I would say it does look bloo*dy marvellous!!

You dedication is palpable and these last few views are starting to show the beginnings of a model of a location rather than of buildings.  It is great to see it gel.

WOW   B) B) B)

The beastie begins to take shape I see Ron and rather nice too.

Some serious track work beckons, to go with the serious buildings so more power to your modelling mojo...

• RMweb Premium

The precision displayed here is awesome; how on earth can you go ahead and cut all those point motor holes knowing that they'll line up precisely?!  Something I've never been able to do; I have to do mine as I go along as the geometry usually changes somewhat as the track gets laid!!

Most impressive

David

The precision displayed here is awesome; how on earth can you go ahead and cut all those point motor holes knowing that they'll line up precisely?!  Something I've never been able to do; I have to do mine as I go along as the geometry usually changes somewhat as the track gets laid!!

Most impressive

David

Hi, David

Having used Templot for earlier track builds - confidence in the accuracy of the template and the build is high

If there is a problem the holes can be patched (all the 'biscuits' have been saved) and new ones cut with the Dremel

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

First we have a shortage of evergreen strip, and glue. Now I feel that there will a shortage  of copperclad sleepers and track. Excellent modelling as usual Ron, keep up the fantastic work.

The trackwork will make use of C+L and Exactoscale plastic sleepers, timbering, chairs and Code 75 NS BH rail. Switch blades and Common Crossings will all be hand built to match each individual turnout/slip, etc. That's quite a bit of filing ahead :scratchhead:

I just read this thread in its entirety, all 68 pages worth in the past couple of days, and wow, what an incrediblie bit of solo modeleing, your work rate is incredible, as is the finished product.  I look forward to following this project through to completion!

Stephen

I just read this thread in its entirety, all 68 pages worth in the past couple of days, and wow, what an incrediblie bit of solo modeleing, your work rate is incredible, as is the finished product.  I look forward to following this project through to completion!

Stephen

Hi, Stephen

Thank you, I'm glad that you found your time over the two days was well spent

Definitely, more and varied modelling ahead

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

... .

The tricky part is engineering prototype trackwork into working OO gauge trackwork - clearances and check rails especially.  ... . 

-- Ron.,

- Are you planning to use the common or garden variety of OO gauge trackwork or will be it 00Finescale?

-- Apologies for wasting your time - busy as you must be;  I should have continued scrolling-DOWN and I would have read that you'll be using 00FS.. 

-- Bestest unclebobkt..  :)

Edited by unclebobkt

-- Ron.,

- Are you planning to use the common or garden variety of OO gauge trackwork or will be it 00Finescale?

-- Apologies for wasting your time - busy as you must be;  I should have continued scrolling-DOWN and I would have read that you'll be using 00FS.. 

-- Bestest unclebobkt..  :)

No problem, happy to answer any question. Although building the track on Templot templates to the appropriate standard, using all the necessary gauges. I have still tested each piece with a wagon, coach and a pacific loco to ensure that the running track alignments etc. really work

Cheers

Ron

A couple of pictures of the track lift/hoist basic structure - (2000mm x 800mm at track level, 2700mm x 960mm at base level, and 350mm high) -

post-10633-0-83744400-1381862466_thumb.jpg

Two cross bearers still to be fitted, located to miss the release roads/platform roads turnout motors, and then the ply and cork track base will fitted

post-10633-0-18611100-1381862436_thumb.jpg

The outer timbers will be fitted four adjustable wire fittings. The hoist wires will pass over pulleys within the main baseboard structure, and pass to a winding mechanism fitted near to the baseboard edge

The hoist drop/lift height is 950mm i.e. track base level is 1300mm

Probably weekend before further pictures of this build can be posted

• Like 8

Ron.,

A query, if I may - being part of a busy terminus I presume that for the period that your model represents, and in the real world of 12ins.:1ft., signals, points/turn-outs and suchlike would be all electric; or shall we see examples of semaphores with rodding & wiring from the signal-boxes?

Edited by unclebobkt

Hello Ron,

the only problem that I can see with the track lift, is if you need to stand up in the hole the track lift will be in the way. Or are you planing to fit some wheels to it and have the wires removable?

OzzyO.

Ron.,

A query, if I may - being part of a busy terminus I presume that for the period that your model represents, and in the real world of 12ins.:1ft., signals, points/turn-outs and suchlike would be all electric; or shall we see examples of semaphores with rodding & wiring from the signal-boxes?

Hi,

Manchester Central was converted to all electric signalling, turnouts, etc. in 1935, subsequent upgrading took place in 1952, and 1958. Semaphore signalling and manual turnout switching remained in the goods yards, and not relayed to the station signal box

Cheers

Ron

Hello Ron,

the only problem that I can see with the track lift, is if you need to stand up in the hole the track lift will be in the way. Or are you planing to fit some wheels to it and have the wires removable?

OzzyO.

Hi, Ozzy

The steel wires, pulleys and winding gear have been installed, and now await the fitting of locking equipment at high level. The wires are long enough to enable the lift assembly to be moved 2 metres longitudinally at floor level out of the area of the track lift void

The winding gear comprises a 40mm dia aluminium tube salvaged from an old Spanish clothes dryer complete with two heavy duty plastic locking spindles which provide tie off points for the four wires. The tube extends beyond the layout baseboard with a removable handle. This enables the track lift to be lowered/raised with just 71/2 turns of the handle

Still have to duck slightly when under the station roof, as the underside of the roof is 1665mm maximum above floor level at the apex (1300mm Track AFFL + 15mm Platform + 350mm U/S Roof) (I am 1790mm tall plus footwear and haircut)

Will post pictures when all complete

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

The Train Shed track hoist/lift is complete -

post-10633-0-61044700-1382631060_thumb.jpg

The lift with plywood base in its normal position - looking towards the Concourse/Booking Offices, etc.

post-10633-0-46440800-1382631092_thumb.jpg

View from the Concourse end

post-10633-0-06540200-1382631119_thumb.jpg

View under the lift at one end, locked in position with two M8 bolts, the cable pulleys can just be seen mid-left and mid-right

post-10633-0-15106600-1382631153_thumb.jpg

The lift winding shaft showing one of the spindles and two of the cable pulleys

post-10633-0-43810800-1382631024_thumb.jpg

The winding handle

The two outer platforms 1 & 6 and the concourse will overlap the lift baseboard by approx. 20mm, and platforms 2/3 and 4/5 will be fixed on the lift baseboard. Their locations and the track bed will be marked out, along with the turnout motors locations

-

Some of brick viaduct walls and arches, and road bridge parapets have been constructed and fixed -

post-10633-0-30437400-1382631237_thumb.jpg

West end of Great Bridgewater St - Windows and Door still to be fitted - The bridge/tunnel internal walls to be constructed and fitted

post-10633-0-40789100-1382631268_thumb.jpg

The overhanging walls will be supported on the movable GNR baseboard

post-10633-0-39088900-1382631304_thumb.jpg

Trafford St. bridge/tunnel parapet still to be painted and fixed

post-10633-0-58052700-1382631327_thumb.jpg

The upper part of this parapet no longer exists

Views from the trackside -

post-10633-0-22864400-1382631407_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-63809500-1382631433_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-22207600-1382631379_thumb.jpg

The Trafford St. viaduct walls and arches are under construction. Crown St. viaduct walls, arches and bridge parapets are also under construction

The sandstone arch and bridge parapet supports and wall cappings will added when all the walls are completed

• Like 6

The Trafford St. west end bridge parapet has had Archer's 3d rivet head transfers applied, and painted -

post-10633-0-46195100-1382978433_thumb.jpg

Subtle in all grey finish

post-10633-0-87992900-1382978402_thumb.jpg

Fixed in place

post-10633-0-60180900-1382978369_thumb.jpg

The printed card for the viaduct arches between Crown St (understand it has been renamed as Century St during the latest viaduct refurbishment) and the Deansgate CLC Bridge - could be completed tonight

• Like 7

The Crown St. to Deansgate section of the viaduct arches/walls is complete, except for the arch detailing, etc. -

post-10633-0-08652000-1383070690_thumb.jpg

Crown Street bridge ahead

post-10633-0-89794300-1383070655_thumb.jpg

Deansgate CLC bridge to the right

post-10633-0-67961800-1383070721_thumb.jpg

Across the viaduct is the rear of the Railway Hotel

The south side of the viaduct is next

• Like 7

Have I missed something but has that signal gantry just appeared from nowhere?

As it was built back in December 2008, it only appears in My Gallery - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/1293549498/gallery_10633_1305_38681.jpg

The top deck and rails were removed before 1950, so will have to remove them for the period being modelled i.e. 1955-1965. Will post a few more close-up photos with background info. if you are interested

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2