Tim Hale

Building a Southern Region layout

IMG_0161_2000.jpg

Beaminster Road's water tower and home to a rather vigorous ivy.

Tim

• Like 9

Inspirational ,every post this gets better ,the water tower has that certain look of realisim without overdoing things this a layout to realy watch grow.

http://www.rmweb.co....eaton-junction/

Meanwhile, the awful Ratio concrete fencing is ready for planting and weathering, it is a horrible kit. Tonight, I have to drill lots of little holes, exactly 20mm apart and 'plant' the fence.

Tim

Just re read this and as I recently got the ratio kit I wanted to know what was so bad about it and any tips you could give to help me make look right first time?

Cheers

Having made a 3' section for my son's layout, I can appreciate Tim's comment. It is very difficult to build in situ, better to make it up on a flat surface 1 section at a time and let cure. It would be much easier to build if each moulding was 1 post and 1 panel.

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest jonte

it's gone quiet on here, any progress Tim??

Hi ess1uk.

I came across this layout just the other day on another forum http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/1870-beaminster-road-through-hardys-wessex/

Just had a butcher's and appears that the latest update was yesterday (would appear that the owner also has his own blog under the title of the layout which you'll find linked to the thread).

Hope this helps,

Jonte

• Like 1

Yep it would appear Tim has jumped to another forum.

Guest Belgian

Yep it would appear Tim has jumped to another forum.

I don't think he intended to.

Edited by Belgian

The last entry I can see to this topic was 2012 - has there been any updates elswhere?

I moved to the area 2 years ago and live about a mile from the proposed site of Beaminster Junction. Now that I have the house sorted, I've time for modelling. I've decided to model the same site, but with a slightly larger scope - with the station being joint SR / GW and a branch northwards towards Somerton as well as south to Bridport via Broadwindsor.

I'm especially interested in the Tite station building - and if anyone knows of any models that might be adapted to suit (I'm a lousy scratch builder!)

Nick

• Like 1

The last entry I can see to this topic was 2012 - has there been any updates elswhere?

Nick

Unfortunately Dr Beeching struck in April 2013  and the owner dismantled it per his blog

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Unfortunately Dr Beeching struck in April 2013  and the owner dismantled it per his blog

Shame

• Agree 1

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2012 at 19:41, Tim Hale said:

aussiebrfan wrote:

Glenn,

Just for you, I have relocated the post on these vehicles

There is a tavern in the town....

Introduced on the SR by Bulleid, the Tavern car sets were the precursor to the ubiquitous BR Mk1 catering sets.

These coaches are Comet sides on Bachmann donor vehicles built by Chris White of SR Models.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

They are a good match for Bachmann revised BR (S) green and I have swapped the outer bogies for those with normal couplings.

Tim

Nice build but probably a little innaccurate underneath as the large Gas Cylinder was removed after they were converted to Buffets and most in 1959/60 IIRC?. Three large battery boxes and a 'bit of bluff' is what is needed down there. Still look very nice though.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

On 23/04/2017 at 01:50, cary hill said:

According to this blog, it appears that this layout has merely lain dormant since the death of his friend.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello,

With Andy York's kind agreement, Beaminster Road has come back to life on RMweb.

Following the death of our chum Bill Jones in 2013, the layout was cleared and all but abandoned, it stayed that way until late 2018 when it was dusted off  and the Beaminster Road Group took over from the original builders.  Thanks to retirement, progress has been rapid, new track laid and scenery is well advanced.  From the outset we planned to carry on the original concept of a small BR(S) location somewhere in the near West Country, unfortunately all the original buildings and stock had been sold but the core elements are there.

The trackplan has been simplified to a single line and various friends have contributed their time to create little 'scenes' , notably the permanent way depot and the dairy.

Cheers

John 'Jack' Benson

Dairy_Mike1.jpg

Destruct1b.jpg

Destruct1.jpg

IMG_0813.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello,

Following multiple catastrophic failures of two Hornby's T9 and a brand new WC, we have been forced to review whether Beaminster Road is a good idea, especially as our miniscule stud of seven locos comprises six Hornby. 

As the SDJR runs even closer to our homes, a small 'what-if' based on Child Okeford on the Dorset Central could solve our dilema because Bachmann could supply six of our seven locos. To this end, this has just turned up. A 3F and 4F are in the pipeline, inspired by Phil Sutter's excellent excellent photo galleries. The only head scratcher is the 2P but Comet offer a chassis pack, what could be easier.

The next episode will be taking an innocent Peco station building and making it look like Spetisbury.

Cheers

Jack Benson

image.jpeg.e1ec33d87abfe517b1333d30ea53a5a6.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Nowt wrong with an SDJR type layout.

With the T9s - was is a mazak related failure.

• Agree 1

I am really glad that you have had the opportunity to bring this layout back to being a work in progress as it was always something that inspired me way back. T9s eh....what a ####. However, the brand new Spam is a bit of a shock? Was it newly purchased from a dealer, or new but been in store for ages? Such a shame.  

Anyway, I have some Spams and a couple of other relevant engines for the area, that might suit and would be happy to loan them for a period until you get more stock sorted and they could/would be suitable if you do decide to go down the S &d JR route. They need a run out as my layout is developing at the speed of a snail.

ATB

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Phil,

The WC was a brand new Camelford, on a slow initial test it ran no more than a 50cm, suddenly the motor started to ' whirr' followed by a discernible click and the mechanism was found to be locked solid, straight back to the retailer.

Thank you for your most kind offer.

Cheers

Jack Benson

• Like 1

IMG_0833.JPG.259df6126e95f086519fbffcc566fa3a.JPG

One of the Group member's efforts.

Jack Benson

Cheers

Jack Benson

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hello Phil,

The WC was a brand new Camelford, on a slow initial test it ran no more than a 50cm, suddenly the motor started to ' whirr' followed by a discernible click and the mechanism was found to be locked solid, straight back to the retailer.

Thank you for your most kind offer.

Cheers

Jack Benson

Oh that sounds bad. However, it should get replaced. As you are probably aware there have been a load of Bulleid Pacifcs that have had problems in the past, with cracked gears .

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022