Manchester Picadilly

Hi, thought I'd start a thread to share some recently scanned pics from the late 80's - early 90's. I wish I had taken more pictures now (isn't it always the case?), but I thought I'd kick off a thread about Manchester Piccadilly over the years and see what turns up? The place may look similar today, but the traction is from another age!

All pics taken around July 1988 (IIRC). Enjoy!

James

*edit, apologies for spelling Piccadilly wrong in the title huh.gif*

Longsight's resident gronk, 08 721 'Starlet' in red star parcels livery, mooches around platform 13/14.

9980564.e0018c64.1024.jpg

Ok, so not my finest photographic moment, but some useful detail for modellers. 45 022, complete with painted 'Lytham St Annes' plates and the classic 'Tinsley snail'.

9980565.d9c1b569.1024.jpg

A creditably clean 47 448 heads out of platform 13/14 towards Ardwick.

9980566.685491e1.1024.jpg

Letting the side down! A scruffy 47 439 brings a loaded freightliner service through platform 13.

9980567.4bf4f76d.1024.jpg

A pair of 86's head towards Oxford Road on the through lines, whilst another class member lurks in the background.

9980568.62086946.1024.jpg

31 143 brings a short parcels service into Piccadilly. Even big stations have short trains!

9980697.c83ff8b1.1024.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, thanks for posting the pics.

This is my old haunt from my spotting days in the late 70's and 80's.

I always remembered an 08 shunting parcels on the far side of the platforms and nice to see a pic of it in the daylight lol.

I'll have to find mine that I took one night, if I can find them.

Garry

I've often been on platform 13 /14 at Piccadilly during the height of the evening "rush hour" and seen Freightliner trains go through, they wreak havoc with the passenger timetable, as trains using these platforms are often following hard on the heels of one another.

Personally, I think it's a brilliant advert for rail travel, reminding passengers of the environmental benefits as dozens of containers pass almost silently, just inches from their feet on the crowded platform.

Most, if not all other, major cities have avoiding lines around City stations, Piccadilly seems to be one of the few to have heavy freight passing through, Dublin was the only other one I can think of, actually, around this part of the world, but the fertilizer trains through Dublin have stopped running in recent years anyway.

I've often been on platform 13 /14 at Piccadilly during the height of the evening "rush hour" and seen Freightliner trains go through, they wreak havoc with the passenger timetable, as trains using these platforms are often following hard on the heels of one another.

Personally, I think it's a brilliant advert for rail travel, reminding passengers of the environmental benefits as dozens of containers pass almost silently, just inches from their feet on the crowded platform.

Once Port Salford gets the go ahead and the Liverpool to Manchester electrification is complete we may see an end to the passage of Freightliner through Oxford Road as the intention to to route all intermodal via Earlestown to the new terminal.

This has several beneficial impacts - removing freight from the busy Oxford Rd corridor, removing a lot of traffic from Trafford Park and improving access to the motorway network for onward transmission of the containers. They also intend to expand the use of inland shipping to transport containers from Liverpool to Manchester via the Ship Canal. Of course the plans need signing off, but I think Peel Holdings will put up a very strong case to improve transport links, remove lorries from Trafford Roads and generate employment.

I suspect it will also involve Metrolink as current road building in the area allows for a road inset Metrolink track on a new bridge across the Ship Canal at Barton plus a 'guided busway' route out from the Trafford Centre which I think is a rather unsubtle masking of the Metrolink route out.

Never took many photos there, as it was always a point on the way to somewhere "more interesting"

You're right Piccadilly wasn't somewhere to spot it was a starting point.

I'd happily scoot down to Mauldeth Road and get a train to Crewe and watch electrics all day but wouldnt often go the other way and head into Manchester Piccadilly, but I would go on the bus to Victoria every Saturday.

On my first visit to Manchester, when I was a lot younger but probably equally as stupid as I current am, My dad & I arrived on a transpenine service from York. We sat on one of the platforms for an hour watching the arrivals and departures but were amazed at how much moved through the two platforms on the far side of the station, it wasnt until a freight came past that we realised there are two through lines alongside the many dead ends!

Some interesting pictures, especially 07821, never even heard of that livery on an engine before

• RMweb Gold

post-7024-0-05803600-1297283460_thumb.jpg

Taken somewhat earlier than the above. Those longer serving members might remember this from the old forum. The loco in the siding is Stentor, the loco in the platform is Tommy. Here's a slightly better shot of Stentor

post-7024-0-44359800-1297283833_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

i'll add a few, fairly recent (2000s) but some from a different perspective.....

101picc.jpg

looking towards ardwick from mayfield loop

25062008960-1.jpg

signal check.....photo opportunity, plat 14

26032008768.jpg

plat 13

mml.jpg

band new pendo and operation rio hst

picc155.jpg

looking towards the station from mayfield loop, the only 155 i've ever sen there

04042008773.jpg

i tried to get my 56 everywhere, plat 1 anyone!!

DSCF0024.jpg

last train i drove for arriva ready to depart picc esc to chester via northwich

Picture_0150.jpg

175 and pendo

Have had a look a pics i've got at Piccadilly most are slides and i don't have a scanner capable, but here are a couple taken one Sunday morning on the way to Crewe works, hence the 3rd pic a 87 as new in the paint shops ( don't know which one it was either ) Just look at how the painters are stood around, wonder what the hourly rate was for the day.

And thats how I like to see a 47, wonder if the driver is looking in a recognises himself holding up the lamp post.

post-4018-0-68260200-1297436344_thumb.jpg

post-4018-0-12800800-1297436368_thumb.jpg

post-4018-0-66982100-1297436389_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to travelWatford Jctn to Piccadily once a month in the early seventies always enjoyed the journey ,when I returned to the station at night I often saw the train to St Pancras always wnted to use this train as it had a peak on the front and what an interesting route.Piccadilly was always an interesting station and I liked the variety of trains Isaw,keep the pics coming thanks for the memories revived.

Archived