Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

Hi guys,

It was great to see the layout for real yesterday, I was surprised at how small it is! The pictures make the scenic area look huge!

Thanks Ben for inviting me to have a look around the back, there was some lovely work on the rolling stock you're running. It was good to chat about Mr Pike with you John, likewise I was really impressed with the Hanson fleet you've worked on.

After our discussion yesterday John, clicking the 'Click Here' link below should take you to 'Embankment Road', my layout thread.

I hope all went well again today,

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham and Jo

Thanks for stopping by to say hello.

The working bus invariably causes as much (if not more) interest than the trains, and certainly the chassis (if not the complete starter sets) were being sold by Osborne's and Modelbahnunion.

I enjoyed looking at the display models on your table on the DEMU stand, and seeing your completed Osprey has prompted me to get on with the five I have in the "unfinished kits" box along with a couple of "modern" (ie re-bogied) Salmons. So far the only ones I have built are those in the NGS display cabinet!

cheers

Ben A.

Really very impressed with the layout having seen it in the flesh today. The detailing is very well done, and consistent across the layout. I especially liked the solar panels on the building at the front left!

This was almost my favourite layout in the show, but for me that honour went to the lovely penzance layout. Unusual for me to go for a historic layout over a modern one, but Horsley was definitely the best modern layout on show

I do have two tiny constructive notes to make though - firstly, and I may be wrong as I don't live in that area, but I thought London Midland station furniture colour was black, and it's been modelled green here. The other thing is I'd have preferred the layout to be displayed a lot higher, at least another foot, if not two. When you crouch down you see so much incredible detail that you can miss at the height it's displayed.

Neither tiny points though detract from what is a really excellent layout, and was obviously a crowd favourite judging by the number of people around it. A great advert for N gauge!

My congrats to everyone involved

David

Hi

Graham,Jo, David and Ian

Thank you all very much for your very kind comments. I apologize to all the Sunday visitors for the fact that no buses were running.

Nick and I had our hands full in the morning bringing 3 of our newer members up to speed regarding main line operation and we

had an electrical failure on Saturday burning out one of the point motors, On Sunday morning we found the cause to be a faulty spring

loaded centre off switch which had stuck in the on position causing the point motor to burn out and Ben and Steven the two main bus-

men were not in attendance. Nick did try the bus but found it not to be working,probably just the battery run down.

In answer to Davids comments, I quite see his point about the layout not being high enough to get a good view but as I pointed out earlier

in the thread,we can't get a good view of the warehouse shunting operations as it is and if the whole was raised as suggested we would not

see anything unless we all stood on a raised platform, No I think not. The colour of the furniture!,yes! you may well be right but this might

have been overlooked as the shelters were made with green coloured plastic and have not been repainted. Ben might have an opinion on

this matter.

Thanks for the link Jo,will pay you a visit later.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

It's a good point about the station furniture. You may be right about London Midland stations having black station furniture, but on the line between Birmingham and Wolverhampton much of it is green, or green and black. Some is also blue. I think the small stations are actually operated by Centro (or its successor!) and a Centro 323 unit is on our "to do" list of stock.

Now you've mentioned it, I am reminded that I have got a Centro Farish 150 which may have to be weathered and brought into service as a placeholder until we can get a more accurate EMU...!

cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Robbopetes,

We put a fair amount of thought into the terminal. For space reasons, it couldn't be the size of the prototype at Wolverhampton Steel Terminal (WST) that had inspired us which is much bigger. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo which was snatched from a moving train:

post-420-0-75519100-1350332870_thumb.jpg

Height and width weren't really the problems, it's just the length of the building which can probably accommodate ten or so wagons. I drew up a similar plan scaled to have similar "proportions" to the WST but less than half the length. Space constraints meant that our building could manage around 4-5 bogie wagons. The drawing includes my original notes to John with observations about use; so far I must admit we have never used a Cargowaggon on the layout!!

post-420-0-16809400-1350333050_thumb.jpg

Once the design was done, a wooden frame was constructed by group member John Ruff, who is a very skilled carpenter. Wood was chosen for the basic struture for two reasons: firstly it was strong, and the building needed to be robust for exhibition use, and secondly it could have mechanisms fixed easily to the inside, and we had planned all along that the building would have operating doors.

John then gave me the wooden frame to clad in Evergreen metal siding effect plasticard. The plastic was glued to the wood using an Aliphatic adhesive, and this has proved adequate so far. I don't have any images of the unclad building, though the roof sheets are missing here showing the shape of the interior supports.

post-420-0-41533200-1350332957_thumb.jpg

Finally the model was painted and small details such as spotlights, doors, electrical conduits and signage was added. I painted it a different colour to the real WST for two reasons: firstly to make it clear that it is a representation, not a scale model, and secondly because, personally, I dislike the yellow/grey side panel colours together!! This photo was snapped just before a show and the roof panels, which are removable to allow access to the interior in case a wagon gets detailed during a show, had not been pushed down fully "home." This is something we often forget!

post-420-0-81809200-1350333735_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of use! If you decide to build a comparable structure please post progress on RMWeb - I'd be very interested to see how you get on!

cheers

Ben A.

I was admiring this building at the N gauge show. Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed breakdown of the planning process - I often find it hard knowing where to start! So this is very inspirational....thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi Ben

I'm not normaly a fan of N gauge stuff but you guys have created something pretty special here. A lot of thought and attention going into this which results in bundles of atmosphere. Clever modelling.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Hello all and happy Xmas!

As some may know, Horseley Fields is featured in the current issue of Model Rail magazine (no. 178) and we are delighted with the photographs.

Obviously not all made the printed page, and photographs Chris Nevard has been kind enough to allow me to post some more here.

I hope they’re of interest!

Virgin Pretendolino passes through as a DBS 60078 waits with a scrap train. The DVT and Mk3s are by Dapol, the 60 and MBAs Farish.

post-420-0-44135800-1356306066_thumb.jpg

There are other pictures to come but I can't seem to upload onto the forum right now due to the software upgrade. I'll add the rest once the niggles are sorted.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Uploading photos still a struggle... here are a couple more...

DBS “Euro Cargo Rail” 66191 on a train WBB minerals sand train. The loco and wagons have all been enhanced with the appropriate TPM detailing sets. An LM Class 350 “Desiro” can be seen retreating in the background – their announcement by Farish some years ago helped us decide where to model.

post-420-0-68224900-1356307117_thumb.jpg

EWS 66135 with a rake of Railtrack PNAs. The loco is Farish, enhanced with the TPM detailing kit, while the wagons are NGS kits. The prototype PNAs were built in batches from various original donor wagons and feature variations in chassis, braking and bodyside rib spacing. The first three wagons are all PNAs but all slightly different. The two aggregate lorries were scratchbuilt by group member John Ruff.

post-420-0-28208500-1356307346_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello David,

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it! We're out in 2013 with Horseley Fields at the East Beds show at Biggleswade on Feb 23rd, and the March District show in March on 2nd March.

This is an overview of the entire scenic portion of the layout:

post-420-0-09338700-1356362595_thumb.jpg

This is where it started – the 1:12 scale concept model of the layout that was fabricated from card and printed computer labels. As can be seen the orientation of some buildings has changed, and the station area has been developed considerably, but this was a useful starting point for discussion, and to give everyone a clear idea of the eventual aim.

post-420-0-75926000-1356362712_thumb.jpg

I have a couple more of Chris Nevard's shots to upload, but the process has been proving troublesome!!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Nathan,

Go right ahead - one of the main reasons for posting is to hopefully inspire others to have a bash!

A couple of last photos before Xmas:

Freightliner/Shanks 66522 on a Blue Circle Cement train. The wagons are a combination of Farish Metalair and V-tank PCAs. The Freightliner vehicles behind belong to group leader Nick Dibben and are continental prototypes painted green and fitted with computer generated labels to represent MLA box wagons.

post-420-0-48192700-1356386178_thumb.jpg

The workmen in the foreground seem oblivious to the trains on the viaduct as Class 350 Desiro in the original unbranded grey/blue livery passes Freightliner 66610 on a rake of Lafarge JPAs. All the models in this photo are by Farish, though the small digger is a Wiking model.

post-420-0-34344200-1356386284_thumb.jpg

I hope all RMWebbers get what they hoped for in Santa's sack, whether they're the rather small packets I prefer, or the rather larger ones!

cheers

Ben A.

Thats a beautiful layout & looking at it for the first time it really does capture the Birmingham area. I noticed the remnant of a wharf near the canal which is something i have certainly seen in Birmingham.
I'm seriously considering going into N gauge for my next layout project simply to get scale length trains in a reasonable space. Just to round off you have captured what you aimed for perfectly & it really does look the part. Wish i had a layout like that to play with i'm sure hours of fun could be had there.

Simon 

Wow thank you very much man :D the nice thing is i have all the pointwork and track to build it :D i dont have enough points to model my dream so i been searching for lots of ideas and this is perfect. Right i will crack on when the chance arises and post it up on a thread or something :D thanks and merry christmas.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a reminder that Horseley Fields will be at the East Beds MRS show at  Stratton School, Eagle Farm Road, Biggleswade SG18 8JB this Saturday, Feb 23rd from 1030-1700.

We'll be running our usual mix of trains of Virgin, London Midland and Cross country passenger trains including (at last!) a Wrexham and Shropshire set with catering vehicle.  There's plenty of freight too and shunting of steel trains.

post-420-0-73201800-1361187072_thumb.jpg

If you're attending the show feel free to come and have a chat!

cheers

Ben A.

Archived