Kernow Adams O2

The Bachmann 4-4-0s have a similar arrangement, as has the Beattie well tank.

That's interesting (as you can probably tell, I have little experience with modern R-t-R products). I am interested to know if these models are noted for their excellent performance. 

Thanks

Chris

Can you stand one more from me?

I have commenced some weathering on the O2, which has had all the brightwork toned down with the black wash, plus a wash of brown on some of the brake gear. I did black wash the cab lookout surrounds but that just looked tatty, so I removed the effect again. I'll have to try a different technique there. Much more needs to be done before it is convincing. A crew has been fitted in the cab.

O2%20Pipework%20Fitted%20to%20Front%20We

I must hook that vacuum pipe back, as per the suggestions a few posts ago (thanks for those, guys).

Edited by SRman
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

This morning I cut a section off the rear NEM box cut the tails off a Kadee coupler and used canopy glue to glue it into the shortened NEM box. This now gives closer coupling at the back of the loco.

After a few hours running in its now running very smoothly.

I have noticed that the pony truck wheels do pick up quite a bit of dirt, so they do require regular cleaning

• RMweb Gold

Can you stand one more from me?I have commenced some weathering on the O2, which has had all the brightwork toned down with the black wash, plus a wash of brown on some of the brake gear. I did black wash the cab lookout surrounds but that just looked tatty, so I removed the effect again. I'll have to try a different technique there. Much more needs to be done before it is convincing. A crew has been fitted in the cab.O2%20Pipework%20Fitted%20to%20Front%20We

I must hook that vacuum pipe back, as per the suggestions a few posts ago (thanks for those, guys).

I wonder if anyone has tried a light rubbing down of the cab surround?

Found mine was totally dead on dcc, and then it also gave weird address reading on decoder pro (16127). Extracted the decoder and replaced it with a blanking plug but dead on dc. All the wires were connected to the socket pcb so I suspected a fault arising from the sound leads somehow as the last thing I had done was to fit a crew in the cab and had managed to get one of the sound wire trapped when refitting the roof. Pulled those wire clear of the bunker but still no joy. The suspect was then the socket pcb so off came the body, it was lightly glued at the front corners. In trying to resolder each wire on it the pcb typically decided not to play along and solder pad came off. Enough of this and removed the pcb, and twisted the wires together - works on dcc! Looks like a candidate for a TCS M1 now.

post-147-0-30880100-1447605473.jpg

Thinking of making the hard wiring easier I removed the screws from the weight around the motor but it did seem to want to move.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

Can you stand one more from me?

I have commenced some weathering on the O2, which has had all the brightwork toned down with the black wash, plus a wash of brown on some of the brake gear. I did black wash the cab lookout surrounds but that just looked tatty, so I removed the effect again. I'll have to try a different technique there. Much more needs to be done before it is convincing. A crew has been fitted in the cab.

I have been intrigued by the weathering that has been done by other members on the 02 when they have left the polished cab surround alone. If a loco is weathered the first casualty would be that cab surround beading.....It would be rusty! I have yet to uncover a photo of a mainland 02 where the crew have scraped the black paint off the steel. No doubt this was done on the Isle of Wight and in preservation but........

The answer on a model is to paint the surround with satin black, then weather the loco.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

And here it is hard wired with a TCS M1 fitted vertically in the rear of the hole in the weight around the motor.post-147-0-50875200-1447615913_thumb.jpg

Wiring on the loco is not dcc standard, pick ups are orange and black and motor wires red and black; and I have just found on the programming track one of those sets of wires is reversed as its moving backwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing that has just struck me, should not the rear cab windows have guard rails on them?

For those bothered by detail variation something else to look out for is that soe O2s also have a curved rail on the rear cab sheet over the top of the windows.

From memory 30199 is one example.

• RMweb Gold

For those bothered by detail variation something else to look out for is that soe O2s also have a curved rail on the rear cab sheet over the top of the windows.

From memory 30199 is one example.

I was looking at doing 30199 till I noticed that it has the tank sides strengthened which the Kernow 30255  model doesnt so back to the drawing board!

• RMweb Premium

I could have a go at removing the offending trim.  Not sure what with though.  Anyone know how it's applied so I could reverse the process without damage?  Otherwise it's trial and error starting with a cotton-wool bud and hot water

• RMweb Premium

Looks like have the lack of guard rails is correct is on the low bunkered one

30199 https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/15279924912/

30225 https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/14275457317/

Annoyingly I found one of 30229 in poor condition with an early crest - hopefully it was awaiting works attention rather than scrapping!

30200 definitely had them:

post-6675-0-79875000-1447657403.jpg

Note also the safety chain across the cab entrance rather than a door.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In an earlier post I mentioned the problem of getting the centre of gravity between the driving wheels in my kit built version. Here's a shot showing that I managed it:

post-6675-0-30391100-1447657705_thumb.jpg

All up the loco weighs in at c850g.

I really must get round to painting it...

post-6675-0-08037400-1447658059_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-69313600-1447658075_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A very useful photo Chris, as 30200 (cunningly disguised as 30225) arrived on my doorstep today.

Thanks.

Glad it helps. Whilst building the kit I was quite surprised at the detail variations between locos. In the end I bit the bullet and went through all my books looking for O2 photos before I settled on 30200 as being right for me. There's a few prototype photo extracts of 30200 on this page of my build thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91331-connoisseur-lswr-o2-for-pencarrow-bridge/?p=1810585

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad it helps. Whilst building the kit I was quite surprised at the detail variations between locos. In the end I bit the bullet and went through all my books looking for O2 photos before I settled on 30200 as being right for me. There's a few prototype photo extracts of 30200 on this page of my build thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91331-connoisseur-lswr-o2-for-pencarrow-bridge/?p=1810585

Thanks Chris, very useful.

With 30229 restored to working order some load trials this evening - as others have found bunker first and its pulls more. Smokebox first and without any added weight 4 Hornby Maunsells and a Parkside PMV seem to be its okay running limit. Added a Parkside BY and it grinded to a halt dragging the rake around a curve with part of the rake on a slight uphill gradient. With 10g added to the smokebox it just managed with a bit of slipping.

For those awaiting the southern green version, the Hamburg Express ship with models on board passed through the Suez Canal early this morning. A 26november arrival in Southampton looks feasible.

Could this ship include the Ventnor models too???