airfix/dapol tank wagons

could be in the region of 30m x 10m, should just about squeeze it in.

Just about the right size for a mankini party, a full size game of five-a-side kick the bulls bladder and about three full size games of womens volleyball. Sounds feasible as long as there's no male volleyball.

P

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Returning to this interesting thread, I often find very cheap or they get damaged over the years a stock of airfix tankers, one of the more common faults if using peco coupling is the loss or damaged plastic rivet which holds the coupling on.

In the process of rebuilding my fleet I can't find any replacements other than using brass replica Hornby Dublo spares which need filing down.

Thinking and experimenting I've found a way using 1/8 inch aluminium pop rivets, I cut then file them down to provide the bush for the peco coupling, thus works for other airfix kitspost-60-0-78486000-1504832051_thumb.jpgpost-60-0-95983600-1504832069_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You can knock the steel centre pin out - making it easier to cut to length ;)

Emma

Yes various ways, I ship them with a pair of pliers.

Lo if my airfix/Dapol stock comes from under the table toy fairs/ model shows, box of stuff dead cheap ( once?), over the years repaired, repainted them, I suspect many where fitted with tension lock or non at all as it doesn't look like anything was fitted in the hole.

Same method can be used for broken Hornby Dublo or early wrenn stock, except use a self tap screw especially stock where the body is differcult to remove.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to drag up an old thread but multiple Google searches for airfix/Dapol tank chassis have repeatedly landed me here. Do I take it nothing new has happened since 2017?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jonhall said:

well the Heljan tank has come out, so most people have switched to that? What are you expecting to happen?

Jon

Well I didn't know that :-)

Explains why I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

I still have 8 Dapol/Airfix ones to build, maybe more. I have a soft spot for the old Airfix kits and with some detailing they can be made very good, plus you have the fun of building them yourself. Are they are good as the Heljan ones, maybe not, but they are my ones and I do like the etched ladders I added.

Here is a photo of some of my first 8 builds, very weathered and in the kind of state I remember seeing them in my youth (I think).

Tanker18.jpg

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 10

• 4 months later...

Is anyone still building these tankers?

I had seven kits still to build. I used the RT detailing etches, but was one short so improvised from A1 etches for the walk boards at the top, but the big difference was to use a ladder, I think from Wizard. It is thicker, easier to bend and stronger. If I were to do the builds again, I would use those ladder etches in preference to the RT ones which I find a bit flimsy. Just personal preference.

Tanker25.jpg

Tanker28.jpg

I still really like these kits even if they have some shortcomings compared to more modern versions. There are more details of the builds on my 'Ellerby' thread linked below.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Am I right in thinking the  class A barrel is 11mm longer in 4mm scale and the best way to model it is two 5.5mm extentions? 

I was thinking of using another kit to get barrel extentions for 4 or 5 kits. Anyone got any tips on how to cut the barrel squarely? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, russ p said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Am I right in thinking the  class A barrel is 11mm longer in 4mm scale and the best way to model it is two 5.5mm extentions? 

I was thinking of using another kit to get barrel extentions for 4 or 5 kits. Anyone got any tips on how to cut the barrel squarely? 

You could make the tank up, then carefully cut segments using a mitre block and a razor saw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Carefully mark round a spare barrel with a pencil, cut with razor saw then smooth on a flat piece of sandpaper. As suggested, two pieces on each end to extend, glue and fill as required. RT step boards and ladders, CCT transfers (he made different tank numbers for me on request - recommended)

DSCF4433.JPG.7234ac43f365b9d2177a3f24d2d43ddf.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...