Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

Guest 40-something

Very nice David!

I always look forwards to updates on your layout, I find it very inspirational

• 4 months later...

Cross street has been down for run in this evening, it's been a while since its been out actually, so I was pleased to find that the heat over the summer hasn't affected it at all, and everything worked perfectly.

Main reason for running was this unusual test train - a network rail 37 pulling a prototype Pendolino coach to test bogie flexibility on curves. All worked well, so the production train won't be too far behind...

post-6666-0-51239100-1351370051_thumb.jpg

And for those who didn't catch the layout's appearance in Hornby Magazine over the summer, here are a few of the gorgeous shots that accompanied the article.

post-6666-0-40711200-1351370075_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-93834800-1351370100_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-99431500-1351370124_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-96153500-1351370149_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-19985500-1351370180_thumb.jpg

I've been giving thought to a new layout to have alongside Cross Street, really something to let the Pendolino stretch its legs on once it's finished, but I was staring at the left hand end of the layout this evening and kept thinking 'I wonder where the railway would go if it carried on...'. Now trying not to think about building a long thin version of the same layout for exhibition purposes...

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A few extra boards of Cross Street you say? Great idea! If the turn around beyond the backscene was a separate end board the layout could be 'extendable' (with the core layout for home use and then extra fully scenic boards that slot in to make it longer for exhibitions - which was how I'd originally planned to extend Gresby and then didn't... but next time!)

Gah, completely forgot to buy Hornby Magazine :-( Pictures look amazing though!

Cheers

Simon (the bad influence)

An extension does sound interesting but would you be turning your hand to the suburbs or the countryside?

oooh, extending it in only one direction so at one end of the board you have the current layout, at the other end you've gone through suburbs and into countryside.

although it would also be good to see more of David's urban landscape.

The Hornby photographer certainly did your layout proud - I think it can be interesting to bring another pair of eyes to a layout as they'll often capture scenes and angles which may not have occurred to you before. Or they may take a picture from a familiar angle, but with a different light and focal point, bringing a whole new dimension to a scene.

As to notions of an extension - I immediately thought the same as Mr Simon:

"..the core layout for home use and then extra fully scenic boards that slot in to make it longer for exhibitions."

Either way, it's always good to see pictures of Cross Street irrespective of who took them!

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Gold

If you added a presentation box front to the existing layout you could do the same with an extension to separate the scenes. By long and thin are you looking at something you can store on end to take up less space?

• 1 month later...