lol, I was planning the same today, I like the idea of sidings that are straight (Trains look better and not too fond of my curved yard anymore, the fiddle Yard I have at the dock end is well hidden away from the latout so I have relayed the 4 sidings and an planning to build into a small detailed yard.

Heh, I'm doing exactly the same.

The "top" two tracks on my layout will eventually be a kind of "scenic" fiddle yard with a headshunt to allow the locos to run around the freight services.

The stabling yard under the bridge will also be used to "store" locos when required, so they will all be in plain sight.

This is purely because I couldn't work out how to fit in a Fiddle Yard to the space I had available to me in a way that would allow me to have "interesting" operations...

Fiddle yards are not compulsory, at the end of the day you can fiddle with your stock anywhere on the layout in the comfort of your own home/loft/garage.

Fiddle yards are not compulsory, at the end of the day you can fiddle with your stock anywhere on the layout in the comfort of your own home/loft/garage.

Well said,

Men should be allowed to fiddle with there stock at there own pleasure..lol

I think interchangeable scenic fiddle yards would be your best way forward. At least when you change your mind you can just swap it out for another, and then swap it back at a later date! lol

Dave

Not a lot to report...

New arrivals: 

# 2 Cargowaggons

# 3 BDA's

# 4 HEA's (Waiting for postie to deliver)

Work on layout:

# The link has been reinstated, joining the two sides of the garage.

# Hard standing down in the Warehouse area. Just needs weathering now.

Thats about it for now.

I'll leave you with yet another picture of the Warehouse area.

post-6849-0-42668200-1358029691.jpg

Off to the toy fair at Wimborne tomorrow so maybe I'll pick something up there??

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I am begining to think you might be sticking with this one, I had a quick look at your website, very nice. The plans to extend and have a yard and loco shed should keep you interested, plus the loco variety. I will have to scan some of my South Wales pics and post them up. I am pretty sure there was even a banger blue class 47 about on one visit as late as 95.

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter,

Thats what you said about the Freightliner theme too!

I'm going to be non commital.

I was up early this morning so spent some time in the garage planning phase 2.  I think I'm still going to have a part of the FY off scene on this side as well.  But I am aiming for a depot and some shunting too.

I should really finish phase 1 first though.

As for the real South Wales, I've got a picture of a blue 37 but don't think I've got a 47, so if you find the picture that woul d be great.

After looking at your layout, if you find a picture of a pair of 20's at Newport then that would be even better!

Cheers,

Scott

Morning Peter,

Thats what you said about the Freightliner theme too!

I'm going to be non commital.

I was up early this morning so spent some time in the garage planning phase 2.  I think I'm still going to have a part of the FY off scene on this side as well.  But I am aiming for a depot and some shunting too.

I should really finish phase 1 first though.

As for the real South Wales, I've got a picture of a blue 37 but don't think I've got a 47, so if you find the picture that woul d be great.

After looking at your layout, if you find a picture of a pair of 20's at Newport then that would be even better!

Cheers,

Scott

Well I really mean it this time. lol

I will try and dig out the pic for you, my notes say it was 47146. this was a trip in 94. I remember seeing a blue 37 at Eastleigh a few times during 94 it was 37219 a bit of a beast with black headcode box and ploughs.

As for class 20s, I was lucky to see 20131 20xxx and 31533 storm through Newport in 94 on a crewe training run. I will have to dig out the pic but I think one was blue and the other in the BRT liv the ped was in Dutch.

Cheers Peter.

HI Peter,

I see Phil has got the 20 bug now, althoough he's gone one step further and got one already!  I cant bring myself to do it just yet. I'd have to have sound in them and a rake of MGR's..  I think the only way would be to have the weedkilling 20's.

I've found a picture in my collection of an unidentified blue 47 arriving at Newport with a blue 37 in the background at Godfrey Road. Can't read the numbers on either sadly.  Theres also no date but I'm guessing it's in the 1994/1995 bracket as its with the batch including Transrail locos.

As for the layout, still not much progress. Had a bit of a play this evening but was getting frustrated with the running so gave up. The layout and locos both need a good clean.

Managed to do a quick recording of 37514.

60066 was also captured arriving with 4 empty HEA's, having tripped them down from North Wales (thanks to muddys-blues of this parish)

post-6849-0-33638500-1358202097.jpg

There are no more arrivals due for now, need to crack on with the layout really, and maybe start weathering some stock.

Cheers for now,

Scott

Good afternoon,

Thanks David, I think MGR's are on my list, not having the room is probably a bonus, it will save you some money!

Got a day off at last.....  Mission today is to sort the garage out. As usual its become a bit of a dumping ground for everything, including the BBQ which strangely enough isnt being used at the moment, although it could be used to heat the garage!

No progress on the layout at the moment, still not sure how I'm going to configure stage 2, also known as "Operation Fiddle".  I think the problem is that my plans are too ambitious so I'm going to scale it down. Ideally what I was trying to achieve was something like a small version of Margam.  We'll see what happens. need to do a bit more research. I did have a DVD which I think was called Hot & Heavy (no, its not what you're thinking) Its a cabride of a 56 leaving Margam Depot and then onto llanwern and beyond.  It had some good shots of Margam that would have come in handy. I'm sure it will turn up soon. 

Hopefully I'll have a couple of things to show tomorrow, if all goes to plan..

Cheers,

Scott

Mission today is to sort the garage out. As usual its become a bit of a dumping ground for everything

I have a loft just like that, I cannot even walk in a straight line to the other end of the layout

The garage dump. I have one of those, when we moved in we had a car in one end and a few things in the other, now it's full of junk from front to back. :(

At least I smashed the sofa to bits yesterday and its down the tip. :)

good luck

Archived