Morning, Oops its Afternoon now,

Thanks 66 and Mark for your comments.

Not a great deal going on, I'm still trying to work out the disguise of the line leaving to the fiddle yard. I don't have much room to play with and I wanted to avoid the "bridge" effect, preferring it to just disappear behind buildings. Its work in progress at the moment.

My eldest lad is off school today after having a sickly night, so I've been housebound so far. I decided to renumber one of my remaining 66's using the Replica Freightlliner decals.. I was really pleased at how easy the Bachmann numbers came off but not happy with the Replica ones as they seem slightly smaller. I can live with it but in the future I think I'll have to remove all the numbers next time for uniformity.

Only other progress on the layout is I've added a bit of an embankment to the main concrete bridge, I'm sure a picture will follow when its dried out.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Leon,

I've been looking at several ways of hiding the exit, in fact I've wasted a few hours tonight just stading at the area thinking about what to do. I think I have come up with a solution which should work ok. As with Redbrook version --? I used containers to disguise a few things so I may go with that or use a large building like you suggest. I prefer the container option as I already have them though..

I have had to compromise a bit to give me more room at that end of the layout, I am going to brick up one end of the depot building, thereby getting rid of the tracks that extend out the far end of the depot. This will give me a bout 8-10" to use for the containers/warehouse which should hide the curve succesfully. Well thats the plan anyway.

I also have to apologise to Replica! It's the Fox transfers that I used, I've just found the Replica ones so I'm going to remove the Fox numbers on the 66 and start again with Replica.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

I like the end to end idea giving you some passing traffic. Nice MOD train too, sort of remind me off the Fawley Branch. A nice DBS 66 passing on some fuel tanks might be nice.

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter,

Funnily enough I thought about the Fawley branch last night, as I was trying to think where a single line would fit in with my supposed area of Southampton.

Just a shame theres no passenger services along the route anymore.

Cheers

Scott

Morning Peter,

Funnily enough I thought about the Fawley branch last night, as I was trying to think where a single line would fit in with my supposed area of Southampton.

Just a shame theres no passenger services along the route anymore.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Ah but there was back in steam days and I remember a few years back there was talk of reintroducing it.

As for juice rail they did the Lymington branch so why not the Fawley.

Cheers Peter.

Thats also a possibilty Mick, especially when I do the 90's theme. I've got a few pictures of 37's on steel going to Hamworthy. It's a shame Poole Ports was never big enough to have container traffic otherwise I would shift Redbrook further down the coast..

Cheers,

Scott

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame Poole Ports was never big enough to have container traffic otherwise I would shift Redbrook further down the coast..

It had a Freightliner service from 1979 to 1981 but it wasn't successful. The freightliner crane was between the new and old weighbridges.

When Southampton had some storage issue lots of containers were stored on the port compound in the mid 00's, there was talk of bringing them in by train but it didn't happen and road won. The Channel Seaways service to the Channel Islands carries containers, one of the ships they used looked not unlike the Scalescenes cargo ship plus the Cotentin takes containers to Spain on mafi's.

Redbrook could maybe become a what if for Dibden Bay???

Evevning,

Just a quick update. I have been looking at aerial maps of the Fawley area and noticed that the line is quite heavily tree lined which has played into my hands whilst sorting out the FY exit/entrance.

I have done a quick mock up with part of a container storage area and the trees acting as a shield for the little mouse hole that the trains go through. Please bear in mind that none of it it fixed in place and the scenery obviously needs doing around the floor area for one. The back of the depot should hopefully be bricked up over the weekend too.

post-6849-0-31533600-1353009735.jpg

Here's one for Peter, a 59 is captured making its way with the 09:40 6B41 Eastleigh Yard - Fawley movement.

post-6849-0-12879500-1353009948.jpg

Off back out to the garage now,.

Cheers.

Scott

PS I know about the wonky fuel roof...

Hi Scott,

Loving the mouse hole. If you're ever in need of mice for it, just shout, as Poppy the cat (the one who didn't make a one way trip to the vets), leaves us at least one a day in the kitchen.

I had been toying with a similar idea for the entrance to the (yet to be built) helix, but seem to be currently distracted with my bridge project.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi fella

Liking the 'newest' changes, bridges are sooo last week!

Where do the mice go when they've entered the hole round the bend t'other side again?

I think you might be finally getting there layout wise, just the period to sort now and the job's a goodun'. ;)

Ok so that seems to have been approved, thanks guys.

I'm pleased that the hole cannot be seen fom any of the normal viewing angles, I need to get a few more trees for in front of the warehouse now .

The line does go across to the other side, all be it on a much narrower shelf than before. I haven't started on the new FY yet that will probably only be a few sidings. I don't want to go over the top this time.

My list of "things to do" is long enough to keep me busy when I next get a few days off.

Thanks for looking and passing your comments.

Scott

I've just been looking at my Freightmaster book. I might have to find a good spot on the real line and take some pictures of the scheduled services next week. For research purposes of course.

rob D2 I've just googled the bitumen train, quite a bit of weathering required on that one!

Thanks Daz , I'm quite pleased with the result, even more so when its all fixed in place and the scenery is done. Hopefully it will all blend together nicely.

ess1uk, Looks like i'll be buying some more warflat wagons, oh and semaphore signals!

Peter, the 66 is in fact a 59 on hire from the Leaford depot, maroon or red 66's are still under represented on the layout... Hopefully will change that but probably wont be until after Christmas.

Cheers

Scott

Archived