Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

I think one of the things that exaggerates the problems is the use of rubber tyres with the wrong profile. Often too square for more modern vehicles. Not really an excuse in N where the wheels are a moulding including the tyre.

Edited by Mike Harvey
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Thanks. Wonder why? Maybe it’s not based on a real vehicle for a change. Luckily I can fit my own but not something I hope they make a habit of...

The intention of plain white models is that you can finish them off in any livery of your choice.

On 02/08/2019 at 15:53, JSpencer said:

Not sure if these ever made it onto Warwells but the Bristol Bloodhound set is now out. Lots of options to set it up.

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

Doe the red nose Come off, I imagine it is a protective cover. Those yellow fins look wierd too. Plenty of scope for adding a bit extra to the Missile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The intention of plain white models is that you can finish them off in any livery of your choice.

Their other plain white vans i.e. the mark one, three and five transit are all fitted with numberplates. As is the plain white ford cargo. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I don't rate the Mk.2 Cortina either (had to do a lot of work to mine to make it actually look right) though the Mk.3 isn't bad apart from the awful oversize wheels. 

'Awful oversize wheels' is a common problem on Oxford DieCast 1:148 scale cars. And often with axles too long so that the wheels also stick out:

DSCN1171.JPG.16ce243bb7a2754a4810daba6856ae1a.JPG

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's a shame and disappointing that ODC haven't bothered to make and fit the right size wheels/tyres rather than make and fit the wrong sized/type ones. When companies like Dapol make such elementary errors on their railway models they get slated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have criticised them only yesterday but we forget how fortunate we are in many ways. In my time as a teenage modeller in the late 80s and 90s there were absolutely zero * suitable cars on the market. Left hand drive 1/87s anyone? 

* Well, the Lima Fiat 131 and the “Hornby that shall not be named” excepted. 

Edited to say zero suitable modern cars.

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Don't forget the Minix models that wheels apart were very accurate and detailed models. Some Matchbox models such as the J2 pickup were very close to 00 scale but lacked such basics as glazing.

But not a lot of use for 80s and 90s layouts that were contemporary at the time. I had all those but there were no Astras Golfs Etc. Edited the original post as this wasn’t clarified. 

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For that period there is Cararama, Yat Ming and Real-X. The latter produces mostly Japanese prototypes most of which were seen in the UK. The added advantage is that the Japanese drive on the left so most of the cars are right hand drive.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2019 at 20:52, it's-er said:

With the announcement yesterday of the new Land Rover Defender, I think we can be pretty certain that it will feature in the end September early October announcement!  Oxford cover many (all?) variants of Land Rover already - we benefit from this greatly - and I'd be surprised if the new Defender doesn't follow soon.

John Storey

One they don't do is the unusual IIa and IIb forward control variant which I would happily a few of in both OO and N.

(Not to be confused with the 1970's forward control which was a military special)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

One they don't do is the unusual IIa and IIb forward control variant which I would happily a few of in both OO and N.

(Not to be confused with the 1970's forward control which was a military special)

Husky made a model of the forward control LR, whats more its spot on 1/76 scale.

On 01/10/2019 at 17:13, PhilJ W said:

For that period there is Cararama, Yat Ming and Real-X. The latter produces mostly Japanese prototypes most of which were seen in the UK. The added advantage is that the Japanese drive on the left so most of the cars are right hand drive.

There is indeed but there wasn’t at the time. Cararama came along late 90s? I think that whole “there’s no suitable modern 00 Gauge cars”  was a particular time frame from the hobby from c1980 to c1995 between Minix becoming too old and cararama entering production. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 01/10/2019 at 23:03, PhilJ W said:

Husky made a model of the forward control LR, whats more its spot on 1/76 scale.

Funnily enough, 'Husky', along with Corgi, were manufactured on the same industrial estate at Fforestfach where Oxford are now based.

One of our neighbours in Llanelli used to drive a FC Land-Rover for the SWALEC 'Hot Wire' team; it was replaced by a Unimog in the early 1970s. Both vehicles were parked outside his house, to the chagrin of some neighbours.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, James Makin said:

The PDF is here - Facebook%20Release%20Info_2.pdf?token=AW

Highlights for me include a Mercedes Sprinter and Audi S3 Cabrio, still nothing decent like a Ford Focus though, eh..!

Cheers,

James

I'm struggling to get this link working. 

Does anyone have the list? I've found nothing obvious online.

**Edit - By quoting the link in my post it now loads**

Edited by TangerineWizards