Class 85

Michael Delamar

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that there weren't plenty of uses for them! I was using the southern half of the WCML daily in the 1980s and it might be better to say that they appeared on most workings regularly except the class 1 express services, and would substitute on those if required. Also, as you say, back in the days of loco changes they would often cover the XC trains 'under the wires' . That pretty much gives an excuse for anything....

They have missed the cowls over the horn grills on the bufferbeam though... ;)

Andi

This was a detail picked up on almost a year ago. An etch may be made available unless Bachmann add 4 cowls into the detailing pack for retro fitting because of course from new youll know they didnt have them ;)

• RMweb Gold

Is it me or has the early version in the pics ^^^ got the reinforced drivers windscreen? This was a later addition and while I'm pleased that Bachmann have got it right for the later versions this version shouldn't have it.

Andi

with my eyesight they all look exactly the same. which pic shows it up best then?

i am still trying to figure out how Bachmann came to the decision to fit a 00 gauge figure of TellyTubby "Po" in the drivers seat. :D

Edited by ThaneofFife

Is it me or has the early version in the pics ^^^ got the reinforced drivers windscreen? This was a later addition and while I'm pleased that Bachmann have got it right for the later versions this version shouldn't have it.

How do you tell the difference?

All the Bachmann windscreens look thick and reinforced to me... ;)

• RMweb Gold

It is hard to tell, the difference is subtle, but it looks as if there is more frame under the drivers window than the secondmans, particularly on the third photo that Michael has posted. Also in the first photo it is clear that the bottom of the drivers window is higher than that of the centre window. As built the bottom of all three should match.

I hope I'm wrong...

Edited by Dagworth

I can just about make out a smidgen of a difference in height but I am struggling to convince myself its there at all. Its like when my GP told me last week that I had a hernia "it was so small as to be insignificant".

I reckon its the camera possibly causing a trick on us as the cab front is mildly curved (side to side) and from certain angles it can appear that the drivers window has a touch more frame at the bottom. Its the same on the other side but less obvious as its a slightly different angle of shot.

However who thinks the centre window looks a touch higher than the ones on either side? Its probably less obvious on BR blue versions but on this electric blue version with the white paint it does seem to go higher up. see pics 1,3 and 4.

....and finally in the last pic. is that insulator next to the pantograph nearest the camera supposed to be that large?

Edited by ThaneofFife

....and finally in the last pic. is that insulator next to the pantograph nearest the camera supposed to be that large?

I suspect that it is in fact the circuit breaker rather than an insulator as such, so its probably about right.

with my eyesight they all look exactly the same. which pic shows it up best then?

i am still trying to figure out how Bachmann came to the decision to fit a 00 gauge figure of TellyTubby "Po" in the drivers seat. :D

I initially thought it looked as though the crew were midgets wearing balaclavas...

As for the Telly Tubby observation, I think you may be thinking of Tinky Winky as I'm sure Po was red in hue?

All of which doesn't help me decide which one of these to buy, the early AC blue version is looking favourite at present as I've really got to limit myself to only one of these.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that it is in fact the circuit breaker rather than an insulator as such, so its probably about right.

It is the roof capacitor, and yes it should be that large.

Andi

• Like 1

It is hard to tell, the difference is subtle, but it looks as if there is more frame under the drivers window than the secondmans, particularly on the third photo that Michael has posted. Also in the first photo it is clear that the bottom of the drivers window is higher than that of the centre window. As built the bottom of all three should match.

I hope I'm wrong...

Andi,

Take your pick on window sizes.

85003 Euston

post-1161-0-98879600-1333273466.jpg

85005 Crewe (cropped)

post-1161-0-78768900-1333273531.jpg

85109 Warrington (cropped)

post-1161-0-82964300-1333273462.jpg

A couple of other shots which may be of interest.

85007,85030 Crewe

post-1161-0-14866800-1333273693.jpg

85011 Crewe

post-1161-0-25766600-1333273688.jpg

HTH

• Like 2

well thanks for those photos Derek as they really are an eye opener.

I see what Andi was talking about now with the reinforced frame.

At least the centre window on the model is bang on then as it clearly should be taller than those either side - I previous thought they were all level. I never noticed before on the real things-photos like this really do help to avoid the blurring that your memory suffers from since the 1990s.

• Like 1

My memory might be playing up, but can someone remind me, IIRC the 1st gen ac electrics ETH was unable to provide ETH at high enough voltage for the mk3 coaches, so a 85 would be seen working any passinger train except mk3`s? Did this include the 85`s or not? Also, did this restriction acctually only apply when the ETH load exceeded a certain point?

I have seen Class 85's with Mk3s on several occasions, With the about pic it seems a bit strange as the 1st class is at the non Euston end and most trains ran with a BG then the 1st class at the Euston end?

Gary

• Like 1

Although I cant tell looking at the windows it is possible that vehicle was declassified to 2nd class, maybe on a weekend. A common practice during this period circa 1982.

Also its not beyond the realms of possibility that the stock had to be reversed at Birmingham New Street or on the Soho circle if there was a blockage on.

Failing that it does seem uncommon to not have 1st at the Euston end and barriered with a BG.

We're getting some great photos of roarers just lately and this one at Lime Street is a really good B&W one.

Edited by ThaneofFife

well thanks for those photos Derek as they really are an eye opener.

I see what Andi was talking about now with the reinforced frame.

At least the centre window on the model is bang on then as it clearly should be taller than those either side - I previous thought they were all level. I never noticed before on the real things-photos like this really do help to avoid the blurring that your memory suffers from since the 1990s.

Would the drivers window be a thicker toughened glass requiring a different frame ??

I am not in the market for an 85, but have been looking through my pictures for scanning to put on Flickr,

so, here are a few more of 85s on various duties in the 1980s

post-7081-0-91619000-1333729666_thumb.jpg

81009 and 85039 at Warrington Bank Quay with northbound SUKO tanks, 23/3/82

post-7081-0-97221800-1333729700_thumb.jpg

85036 at Bescot with a mixed freight of engineering equipment and ferrywagons, 26/3/82

post-7081-0-30000100-1333729721_thumb.jpg

85036 also at Bescot on the same day with a Freightliner service, 26/3/82

cheers

• Like 2

well i can see having the different frame (for those locos that received the new glass) might be important to some modellers but i doubt anyone would feel robbed if the thickness of the drivers pane wasnt shall we say........ "to scale". I'm all for detail but this wouldnt lose me any sleep.

:)