Kernow / Bachmann Scenecraft LSWR Brick Signal Box

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

New LSWR signal boxes from Kernow MRC. No delivery dates yet

http://www.kernowmod...rick_Signal_Box

Well spotted! This is good news, because it implies that Kernow's "Wadebridge" box muxt have sold well. The Bude example appears a bit more LSWR and less North Cornwall, so should attract even more attention by having wider appeal.

The trade has never looked after us better!

I knew it was coming but it slipped under the radar a little but Chris Trerise has just sent me the images:

Signal Box1-large.jpg

We are pleased to announce a new exclusive limited edition model in OO Gauge.

Following the success of the LSWR Type 4 Signal Box with stone finish in response to customer requests we are please to announce that we have commissioned Bachmann to produce an LSWR Type 4 Signal Box with brick finish. This will feature a removeable roof and separate name board as before, this time with the name "BUDE". Suitable for a wide variety of LSWR locations this model will have a footprint of 50mm x 115mm approx.

The price will be £27.95 plus postage and delivery is expected later this year. Orders can be placed through our website and regular updates will be given through our newsletter at www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

Signal Box2-large.jpg

Signal Box3-large.jpg

Signal Box4-large.jpg

Signal Box5-large.jpg

Signal Box6-large.jpg

Please note this are CAD drawings that indicate the finish and the distortion in the images will not be in the production items.

I'm definitely bagging one of those!

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall this was mentioned in the Kernow newsletter a few months back and is indeed on the back of good sales of the stone "Wadebridge" version. The CAD has generated some very interesting bricklaying around the end beneath the stairs and it is encouraging to learn that this will not be replicated on the actual model since the prototype is no longer around to laser-scan or photograph for verification!

"Wadebridge" is patiently awaiting construction of my SR-themed layout which may be rather larger than I first expected with new space available. As a result there is probably a home here for a brick version as well though it won't be "Bude" ;)

Yep, perhaps I could have worded it better - and perhaps they could have too.

So the name board as supplied is removable.

But a blank one would have been far more useful. I can still envisage 100's of "layouts" with this plonked down with the word "Bude" left on it.

I also wonder what it looks like behind the "removable" board, is the brick work continued or is there a flat for the "home made" board to have to cover?

I seem to recall this was mentioned in the Kernow newsletter a few months back and is indeed on the back of good sales of the stone "Wadebridge" version. The CAD has generated some very interesting bricklaying around the end beneath the stairs and it is encouraging to learn that this will not be replicated on the actual model since the prototype is no longer around to laser-scan or photograph for verification!

I'd thought you'd meant the bricks around windows and corner at first where there are some odd joins but that stuff under the stairs is rather more odd! Not sure how applying a texture had caused that, there must be some weird shapes in the mesh.

Yep, perhaps I could have worded it better - and perhaps they could have too.

So the name board as supplied is removable.

But a blank one would have been far more useful. I can still envisage 100's of "layouts" with this plonked down with the word "Bude" left on it.

I also wonder what it looks like behind the "removable" board, is the brick work continued or is there a flat for the "home made" board to have to cover?

The Wadebridge box which is a stone version of the same thing has the nameboard separate. There is no gap in the stonework so there is no reason to believe there would be a gap in the brickwork.

If you are capable of putting letters on a board because you want something different then the presence of the word "Bude" should not be much of a problem?

• 4 months later...
Guest Max Stafford

Oh, that's got serious NBR potential, that baby!

I think I'll be ordering it for a hack. Anybody do nice window frame etches?

Dave.

I'm looking at the pics Andy posted again and thinking...... it should be absorbed into the Western Region, have the name changed to suit a layout, and have the woodwork repainted a nice shade of chocolate..... oh dear, I can't seem to find me coat!

:D

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at the pics Andy posted again and thinking...... it should be absorbed into the Western Region, have the name changed to suit a layout, and have the woodwork repainted a nice shade of chocolate..... oh dear, I can't seem to find me coat!

Bude was indeed absorbed by WR in the early 50s, may have been repainted later, although the trains remained Southern. Halwill, the junction for Bude, was certainly in WR colours in the early '60s. Plenty of scope for your fantasies here, Nidge!

• RMweb Premium
Halwill, the junction for Bude,

"Halwill for Beaworthy" commonly called, but never named, Halwill Junction. Surprising perhaps that Paddington didn't see fit to replace the signage with huge brown ones reading "Halwill for Beaworthy Junction for Bude and Torrington" in the style seen across most of their region. Or maybe they did and I blinked fortuitously and missed it.

Bude was indeed absorbed by WR in the early 50s, may have been repainted later, although the trains remained Southern. Halwill, the junction for Bude, was certainly in WR colours in the early '60s. Plenty of scope for your fantasies here, Nidge!

That's half the trouble Ian, the fantasies tend to get in the way of actually doing something about it! I've got an idea for something in the Plymouth area c.1967 which has been 'simmering' for far too long now, I just need the space to do it justice really ... a sort of GWR & SR 'joint' affair that was taken over by the WR somewhere on the outskirts of the city, populated by lots of hydraulics and, well, er... lots more hydraulics! The first incarnation on paper was a direct lift of Exeter Central's track plan, dropped into a 'loop' around Plymouth with access to the SR lines, but it's slowly turning into a split level terminus with carriage sidings, an NCL depot and a Milk loading point. I'm slowly accumulating various building and infrastucture kits, adapting them slightly and giving them a WR choc & cream makeover.... one of these days I might find somewhere to build it!

• RMweb Premium
the fantasies tend to get in the way of actually doing something about it!

Guilty as charged m'lud :blush:

Ironically for someone who enjoys a much larger than normal layout "room" outside I am struggling to find a suitable location for the follow-on project which is already at a well-planned stage. It only needs around 12' x 4' but there simply is nowhere indoors suitable and I have already used all the outdoor under-cover space. That project will see the Kernow stone signalbox in use but not with the Wadebridge name as supplied. The working title is still Harlyn Road though since that is already in use by an O-gauge project mine will now assume a different name when finally built.

The Kernow brick 'box is almost certain to find a place here though quite where I have no idea just yet. It's too good to just let it go and will keep for years perhaps until a new outdoor project ultimately replaces a time-worn present layout.

• RMweb Gold

That's half the trouble Ian, the fantasies tend to get in the way of actually doing something about it! I've got an idea for something in the Plymouth area c.1967 which has been 'simmering' for far too long now, I just need the space to do it justice really ... a sort of GWR & SR 'joint' affair that was taken over by the WR somewhere on the outskirts of the city, populated by lots of hydraulics and, well, er... lots more hydraulics! The first incarnation on paper was a direct lift of Exeter Central's track plan, dropped into a 'loop' around Plymouth with access to the SR lines, but it's slowly turning into a split level terminus with carriage sidings, an NCL depot and a Milk loading point. I'm slowly accumulating various building and infrastucture kits, adapting them slightly and giving them a WR choc & cream makeover.... one of these days I might find somewhere to build it!

An attractive idea! In my yoof, I was able to get to Plymouth on a few occasions in the heady days when both Regions' services ran parallel on the Tamar side of the city, and it was all rather fun. Plenty of hydraulics - seeing brand new D870 at North Road, and fearing my schoolmates wouldn't believe me - but enough steam to make it a truly varied area. Lots of scope there, surely.

Oh you lucky, lucky man! Reason I plumped for 1967 is it's given me a good cross section of hydraulic liveries, covering green, maroon and the new fangled blue, plus all five D6xxs were still intact and in regular use at this point with two of 'em in blue and the other three still in green. I've got my eye on a couple of Walthers US building kits which could be fettled into some ramshackle West Country types.

Steering vaguely back OT, Bachmann's stone built 'Padstow' box tickles my fancy as well. It would be nice too if they got round to doing a GWR Type 27 box or something similar ;) .

Archived