Frizinghall models

Jenny Emily

I recently visited into this shop, as I was in the Bradford area and took the opportunity to pop in. It is easy to find, and offers ample free parking (large enough that I turned and fitted a 44ton articulated lorry there so a car should pose no issues) which is something that has made several other shops I have passed on my travels awkward or impossible to visit.

It had a very extensive range of stuff, including all the useful little bits and pieces that are usually not carried by the larger box shifters. I bought a number of their specially commissioned Bachmann wagons (TTA tanker and private owner open) as I feel it is important to support retailers prepared to go to the risk of committing to a limited edition. The open wagon ('Charles Sinclair') is lettered for return to L&Y making it a nice companion in my display cabinet for my NRM GCR 8K.

Just a satisfied customer.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was passing through, being in between delivering boiler tubes which is probably a story in and of itself*. I wanted to get some of their special commissioned Bachmann wagons. These days I tend to call in at model shops only if passing rather than making a special trip.

*Bound for John Smiths brewery in Tadcaster, picked up at a testing and certification facility in Pudsey. Though I have taken tubes to the Tanfield and Weardale railways before now.

• Like 3

Has the road network in that area of Bradford been sorted out now? It was hell on wheels to navigate maybe a couple of years ago, erratic signage garnished with some definitely incorrect directions, major route deviations that were not on sat-nav. For those of us with Lady friends who feel the cold in Winter, they may be dropped at the Damart retail outlet about two miles away (as the crow flies, easily reached by a route that takes in Leeds, Ripon and Wensleydale, I am sure the 44 ton rig will go up there too) and can buy cosy undercrackers to their heart's content...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Paid another return visit. This shop is very handy for me when arriving by lorry. My work today allowed me to take a visit to this shop later in the same day that I went to Durham trains of Stanley. Plenty of parking, and well stocked though not necessarily the cheapest on price. They carry large stocks of Meccano too.

They have lots of specially commissioned Bachmann models, which is something that I like and I am always keen to support retailers who take the risk on commissioning these items. It is worth noting that they also carry a stock of some of TMC's special Bachmann commissions too which makes it a handier place to buy them and not get skinned for postage.

They also had on display the pre-production decorated models of the camping coach and Shell Mex tankers that are forthcoming commissions. I was told that they expect the camping coach around April/May this year, subject to Bachmann's usual elastic delivery estimates.

Edited by Jenny Emily

Going back a few years, I bought a Bachmann Royal Scot from them via mail order, which they renamed and renumbered, and the gentleman I spoke to on the phone was most helpful when discussing whether my choice of name (The King's Royal Rifle Corps) was one of the available options. The subsequent model was very nicely done, too. I haven't used them since, but only because I tend to use more local (to me) shops.

• 2 years later...

I use this shop regularly. It's well stocked with everything & the prices are good too.

I wish I lived nearer this shop. Always very friendly and helpful, and carry the fullest stock the manufacturers deign to supply. Was in there just after Christmas and found several desireable items not to be got elsewhere. (I prefer the visit experience by a great distance over mail order.)

First time I had contact with them was for a mail order of some used Lima Mk3 coaches. Very competitively priced. Subsequent to that I have visited them twice. I think their prices are a little on the high side, but they are well stocked and very helpful. 

Frizinghall as in frying :yes:

Ray.

Not if you travel on Northern Rail. At lest not according to the woman who did the prerecorded station announcements. Definitely 'Frizz' according to her. Must find out how she pronounces 'Slaithwaite'.

As for FMR I still miss the old shop - new place is good but it's far too organised!

• 3 weeks later...

..... the Damart retail outlet about two miles away (as the crow flies, easily reached by a route that takes in Leeds, Ripon and Wensleydale, I am sure the 44 ton rig will go up there too) and can buy cosy undercrackers to their heart's content...

Damart themselves seem to be a shadow of what they were in the 1980s/90s, when they had a quite massive product range.

• RMweb Premium

Dropped in yesterday and was seriously impressed by the range of stuff for sale. Would happily go back for more browsing.

You went to the Bradford area and found your way out again? :sarcastichand: Bless you for you are a navigational genius.

In case anyone is going there again the Transport (sorry) Industrial Museum is excellent, free and never very busy (sadly for them).

Edited by Mallard60022

You went to the Bradford area and found your way out again? :sarcastichand: Bless you for you are a navigational genius.

In case anyone is going there again the Transport Museum is excellent, free and never very busy (sadly for them).

Well you learn something new everyday - I thought the transport museum had closed years ago...... - I am an ex Bradford lad and I bought my first 00 gauge bits and pieces from Frizinghall Model Railways many moons ago.

• Like 2

In case anyone is going there again the Transport Museum is excellent, free and never very busy (sadly for them).

I steer clear of the place, and definitely avoid any directions pointing to "ring road".

In fact, when visiting relatives in Bingley and driving up from the south, it is much easier to use the M6/M65 route and continue via the Keighley by-pass.

• RMweb Premium

Well you learn something new everyday - I thought the transport museum had closed years ago...... - I am an ex Bradford lad and I bought my first 00 gauge bits and pieces from Frizinghall Model Railways many moons ago.

I think that the Transport mueum is in actual fact called the Industrial Museum to avoid confusion.  There was a short lived Transport museum at Ludlum Street from which many exhibits went to the short lived and ill fated Transperience.  The Industrial Museum up near idle has in fact go an excellent Transport section including Tram 104 and the Last Trolleybus plus a very good collection of Jowett cars.

Jamie

I think that the Transport mueum is in actual fact called the Industrial Museum to avoid confusion.  There was a short lived Transport museum at Ludlum Street from which many exhibits went to the short lived and ill fated Transperience.  The Industrial Museum up near idle has in fact go an excellent Transport section including Tram 104 and the Last Trolleybus plus a very good collection of Jowett cars.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,  it was Transperience that I was thinking of - I had completely forgotten the Industrial Museum though - admittedly I moved to Wakefield in 1999 so it isn't a wonder really.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wonder if there is anyone at Frizinghall from about 20-25 years ago? Pride of my fleet has always been this Hornby 37, which I think is about 25 years old. Long before it was common for locos to be commercially reliveried, as a teenager I saw this in Railway Modeller and got it for my birthday or Xmas. I remember it being delivered by the postman after days of excited anticipation. The idea of a repaint of a Hornby 37 into Highland colours was a dream come true for me at the time. It is still running, albeit not as smooth as it used to, and all I have done is paint the buffers, reglaze and add the Scottie dog transfer (liked it too much to do a full detailing upgrade). Clearly a quality job as it has had a lot of use as my "best" loco.

gallery_24698_3502_195189.jpg

And completely contemporary as it is back running in this livery (last time I looked!) on the NYMR :)

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...