Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

I got mine last Friday. Excellent model I must well worth the wait.

DSC00249-52.JPG

The general impression is very good, running capacbilities are good and it is a good puller. In the detail there are some signs of quick work, but nothing serious. For the price I can only recommend it.

A detailed English review is available on http://www.modelrailroading.nl/collection/LMS%20Garratt/LMS%20Garratt.html

To view all versions look at: http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/results.aspx?searchfield=beyer+garratt

Many Thanks  to  garrattfan  for  the  reveiw........... one  of  the  best  reveiws  I have  read  for  some  time

Note  to other  readers , take the  time (around 15 mins) to have  a  read  of  Garratfans  Garrat  review  you will be  impressed.

• Like 1

I saw no easy way to remove this cover so my guess is there is nothing under it except the locomotive's internals. I regret that personally, but that is  matter of taste. I wish Heljan / Hattons had opted for a removable cover leaving the choice to the modeller.

So no coal visible in the bunker. The good thing is that it shows an unusual feature and that gives you always something to talk about when you show the model. Everybody has coal in the bunkers, and you have a canvas cover!!

Other pictures do show that this cover comes off and that there is a coal load underneath.

Agreed - and I saw something else missing from mine !!!

The cover on the coal bunker lifts easily enough - a nail removed mine, to show a full coal load underneath, with bunker-side reinforcing bars. The only very slight drawback is that the cover's fixing holes are just a little visible. Not really a problem though.

Tony

In view of the delicate and complicated nature of this loco then Hattons might consider extra wrapping/packing for this item. It might save them money in the long run and avoid disappointed cutomers.

Hi,

Certainly with all the problems with mine I cannot and would not blame the packaging nor the courier.  I am 100% sure it is poor assembly at the point of manufacture. However some items MAY be due to rough handling in placing it into the plastic tray type thingie (see the link to the detailed review above) once again at the point of manufacture.

The tray is designed to fold round and protect all the delicate bits and should do an excellent job with this. 

I also think it unfair to expect Hattons to do any QC checking other than a '1 in 50' type proportion. Labour would be too expensive for this and risk additional re-boxing damage.

However Hattons will be getting a feel of customer feedback through shop inspections and returns.

Tony 

Hello Garattfan,

I reproduce one of your beautiful photos here if that's ok., to show the style of light weathering... it looks very good to me, together with the chemical darkening of rods, in my view Hattons and Heljan have done remarkably well, and I suspect without great profit.

One can only look forward to the heavily weathered versions.

Your photos really are beautiful work. I hope you don't mind that I just re-did a couple of colours and background things, nothing to the actual model. I can't wait to photograph mine when it arrives, with all kinds of effects perhaps. Of course I will remove this pic if it offends.

post-7929-0-15900700-1393797791.jpg

Regards,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

As someone who has joined this forum to follow all I can about Heljan's Beyer Garratt

I would like to say how happy I am with my locomotive.

Have had it running today pulled 37 trucks round small test loop using 2nd radius curves.Only stopped at 37 trucks as no more space on the track.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking forward to getting my Garret,but after reading the posts on here i am feeling very uneasy.Francis70b

A common view, I imagine.  These days any new release from the major manufacturers seems to conjure up trepidation and pleasurable anticipation in almost equal measure.  

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you are enjoying the Garratt.  I'm hoping today's post will bring mine.

No yours has been hijacked at the sorting office.

Last seen heading out west early this morning  :yes:

Edited by amdaley

I have been looking forward to getting my Garratt,but after reading the posts on here i am feeling very uneasy...

Bear in mind that people typically report bad news far more readily than good news (=no news) so there is every likelihood that the majority are reaching their purchasers in a satisfactory condition.

What I am reading is that the model is good in essentials, but vulnerable to smaller component and detail error and/or damage at either or both of the assembly or packaging stages. Giving me a nice warm fuzzy feeling about the prospects for the O2...

• Like 2

Just a quick note to add that a review sample arrived in the BRM office this morning in perfect condition (thanks Carlo!), although there are clearly a number of fragile parts that will be vulnerable during handling and shipping. Bogie brakes and end footsteps will require careful handling to avoid damage and loss of the fine step plates. We're looking forward to seeing how much it will pull!

• Like 1

An  advert  will be  placed later  today in the  classifieds  section!  No  Dont  worry  its  not  a  Garratt!!!!!  but  something 'loosely' associated  with  Garratts  and  it will be  in  the  Wanted  section!

• RMweb Gold

An  advert  will be  placed later  today in the  classifieds  section!  No  Dont  worry  its  not  a  Garratt!!!!!  but  something 'loosely' associated  with  Garratts  and  it will be  in  the  Wanted  section!

Plastic adhesive??

Just a quick note to add that a review sample arrived in the BRM office this morning in perfect condition (thanks Carlo!), although there are clearly a number of fragile parts that will be vulnerable during handling and shipping. Bogie brakes and end footsteps will require careful handling to avoid damage and loss of the fine step plates. We're looking forward to seeing how much it will pull!

'bout this much Ben,

Neal

• Like 13