Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Upon looking at the Hattons site I must say I really hope the canvas cover for the coal space is removable. I cannot recall this feature appearing in any photos of them when in service.

First job tomorrow when it comes will be to investigate!

Tony

I can't say that I've ever seen a suggestion of a canvas coal space cover - and the limited number of BR-period photos that I have certainly don't show one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Apparently not as I just bought a lightly weathered LMS fixed bunker version, with VAT off it is a comparable price to a weathered s/h Hornby light Pacific...

I wonder how those footrests and pony truck brakes will stand up to things...

post-7929-0-49190200-1393548521.jpg

post-7929-0-49224700-1393548563.jpg

post-7929-0-16796800-1393548590.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heard that delivery was imminent, so decided to break the news to SWMBO, took her outside with a couple of glasses of Adelaide Hills savvy blanc and confessed......... Initial reaction " that's expensive", I replied it's very big, I'll show you a picture(which I had earlier hidden behind the front door) she said "very impressive, no wonder you want one", it's OK then? I said, "of course" she replied. Three odd years of worrying about this all for nothing!!!........you just can't pick 'em can you?

Mind you I didn't mention the black LMS Twins, the 1F tank, the Stanier Mogul, the inspection saloon and a Wickham Trolley.........a case of selective memory I think!!

Rgds..........Mike

• Like 10

I feel like a kid at Christmas. Have had a heavily weathered version on order for a long time. Also must have a good read of my Irwell Book of the LMS Garratts to immerse myself in the subject.

I think the model will look good in a shed scene or diorama, not sure how many of us have large layouts with wide curves for 80+ wagon trains... ?

Good stuff Heljan and Hattons!

• Like 2

I can't say that I've ever seen a suggestion of a canvas coal space cover - and the limited number of BR-period photos that I have certainly don't show one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

According to Irwell's tome, 'L M Garratts', p11, lovely picture of 4994 on Brent-Toton empties in Spring 1931,. the canvas cover was an abortive attempt to deal with coal dust when travelling bunker-first.

on p46 it is further described as to how it worked, and didn't last...

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Shame on you Heljan/Hattons, you do realise that by delaying the Weathered BR versions until May my wife will have returned from 3 months in NZ. I was living in hope that my pre order would be here while she was away and I would not have to go hrough the same embarrassing situation Mike # 510 had to endure.

To say I am worried is an understatement, I only hope that the Garratt is worth the anguish I am going to endure!

Shame on you Heljan/Hattons, you do realise that by delaying the Weathered BR versions until May my wife will have returned from 3 months in NZ. I was living in hope that my pre order would be here while she was away and I would not have to go hrough the same embarrassing situation Mike # 510 had to endure.

To say I am worried is an understatement, I only hope that the Garratt is worth the anguish I am going to endure!

Beware! One of the weathered BR ones is still listed as March!

• RMweb Gold

Apparently not as I just bought a lightly weathered LMS fixed bunker version, with VAT off it is a comparable price to a weathered s/h Hornby light Pacific...I wonder how those footrests and pony truck brakes will stand up to things...attachicon.gifBG_LMS_4978_1abc_r800.jpgattachicon.gifBG_LMS_4978_4a_r800.jpgattachicon.gifBG_LMS_4978_3ab_r800.jpg

Will look just as good hauling 20 ( Bank Holiday Toton-Brent) coal wagons) .Bravo,Rob...this one looks the"business',doesn't it ?

• RMweb Gold

Reading all of these posts....aren't we all a crew of naughty little boys caught scrimping apples from the tree.....self the worst of all,I add?

I just can't choose which one. Quite fancy the LMS one Rob has chosen but all my coal wagons are BR...so it will probably be a wait until May. Wait a minute....that's my birthday !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Take it like a man.....plead it's a Hornby R 3191 you sent for "repair" under warranty.If that doesn't work,plead temporary insanity under the strain of her prolonged absence.

Make a list of the condemned man's last wishes here........

Posted by a fellow traveller in deviousness.....

... not sure how many of us have large layouts with wide curves for 80+ wagon trains...

That must be everybody who has purchased the currently available 8F and 9F models, surely? They were all capable of managing such loads.

In 1914: "the new Gresley type mineral engine of 2-8-0 arrangement has commenced working 1300 ton loads on the Peterborough - London coal traffic, requiring trains of 80 or more wagons". When the first 9F+ appeared in 1925 in the form of the P1, the limits of what the GN section could accomodate in train length were reached with the 100 wagon train required to give these beasts an economic load. Better start enlarging our layouts for that model...

Wonderful advert for the Garratt ( wonder where the sound is from?) and Richards Powerbase system.

I must admit hadn't heard of Richard's 'Powerbase system', so went off to look it up.  Jeez, that could have saved me a lot of problems on earlier versions of ET!

I picked this video up on MRF, so have asked Richard to clarify whether that is a standard loco or if it has been fitted with Powerbase magnets and what the gradient is.  I think the sign says 1:30, so will clarify that once I have a reply.

Edited by gordon s

Just had a reply from Richard to clarify one or two points…..

Now that is impressive pulling power from a standard RTR loco!

***Hello Gordon

no problem with the link - its there to be seen...

Powerbase really works well, as you will have seen from the other videos I hope :-) if not there are many at 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUTWZDHQ6Mq7K_qU73IR6jA ... or just google dccconcepts powerbase to find a link.

The Garratt has NO powerbase - it is the ONLY loco we have tested that is so good I don't think its needed it would add to the pulling power but the train potential would then be, at a guess, perhaps 200 4 wheel wagons!! Its one tough loco!

the gradient is 1 in 30
the gradient length with easements at each end (on the curves) is actually a wee bit over 6 metres. Its way over 4' climb.

powerbase also improves electrical pickup and reduces the need for track cleaning... so its a bit of an all round winner. It has only been available for about 6 months, so I couldn't have shown you earlier :-)

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Even if it did arrive when she was away, I'm sure she would notice it on the layout.  How about buying an Airfix/Dapol engine shed and hiding the Garratt in that.

Corrrection: make that four Airfix/Dapol engine sheds!

• RMweb Gold

I feel like a kid at Christmas. Have had a heavily weathered version on order for a long time. Also must have a good read of my Irwell Book of the LMS Garratts to immerse myself in the subject.

I think the model will look good in a shed scene or diorama, not sure how many of us have large layouts with wide curves for 80+ wagon trains... ?

Good stuff Heljan and Hattons!

Same thoughts here. I had that book nearly as long as the Garrett has been on pre-order ;)