Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

I have the same problem with my light not being as bright running water tender first, I removed the cover but was unable to get the light to shine any brighter, just be careful when refitting the tank cover that you don't knock the 2 small parts on the tender inside end off. I did and ended up superglueing them to the tender cover but all then fitted back ok.

Ah, I thought that it might have been a case of a mis-aligned bulb / LED or fibre optic. Not so, it seems. Just a dull bulb / LED then ?

Tony

And here we have LMS 4978 working out of a Midland Line tunnel in 1931, the Beyer Peacock Patent Dust Cover certainly not in use....

The joy of steam age railways... for once the cab was ahead of the worst of the smoke...

post-7929-0-51914600-1394427468_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 12

The photo of the U1 and Big Bertha together is on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8541849931/sizes/l/

As pointed out in the comment quoted by Re6/6, it doesn't show whatever was at the front of the train, so we only have the verbal description to go by.

My god Big Bertha looks tiny next to the U1. Great shot I must say!

And here we have LMS 4978 working out of a Midland Line tunnel in 1931, the Beyer Peacock Patent Dust Cover certainly not in use....

The Heljan modelling of the canvass dust cover is not a particularly happy offering: it looks like a plastic moulding of a plastic moulding. I suppose had some detail or texture been moulded into the surface it would have looked far better. As it is, it's better dispensed with. Probably the only real defect in this lovely model.

Tony

To All,

Are there any particular tunnels which Garratts regularly went through which were uphill, wet, or difficult, notorious and requiring the crew to take ameliorative measures, like cotton-waste rags to breathe through, or down on the cab floor. Sharnbrook? Amphill? any others? 

I have in mind a pic where the engine is emerging from a tunnel, with some exhaust...

Hi Rob, if you look closely on the Hattons page for the 266208, the archive picture shows a Garrett coming out of Elstree Tunnel.

http://www.ehattons.com/42906/Heljan_266208_Beyer_Garratt_2_6_0_0_6_2_47996_BR_early_emblems_on_cabsides_numbers_on_tanks_1/StockDetail.aspx

I'm sure I have seen pictures of them near tunnels in the 'Railway Memories' series, which covers the Midlands and the North as well, that might be where you have seen that picture you are thinking of.

Jamie

• Like 2

With reference to the  pulling  power of  the  Heljan garratt,  I was wondering  if  anyone   with  the  space & rolling stock   might  try to compare   the pulling  power of a couple  of            0-6-0s ?  ( just to  see!!)

Although these video clips will not answer this question specifically, they might give a little clue as to the haulage capability of Bachmann locos when unhindered by too much flange drag!

http://www.youtu.be/Y4QKemz9iO0

Over 200 videos in this impressive collection. 

I don't know if the owner is a member here but a quick search didn't show anything

RP

Ooops!

Sorry about that. I used the wrong link.

I meant to use the one showing the Garratts working; not falling apart.

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 1

Never mind Westerleigh Yard, surely you've all heard about the time that Harold Morris, the Bath Green Park shedmaster got his hands on one, that one of his footplate crews had inadvertently brought back from Gloucester one day (well, it was very strong cider...).

Egged on by Ivan Petersfield and Norman Locksmith, Harold used it for a couple of weeks over the Dorset, working heavy goods trains down to Templecombe and back. He nearly lost it back to the LMR one day, though, when the northbound working was diverted via Engine Wood and Hallatrow...  :sungum:  :lol:

Good to hear that. Now Robmcg can do a picture of one coming out or Devonshire of Coombe Down tunnels.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To All,

Are there any particular tunnels which Garratts regularly went through which were uphill, wet, or difficult, notorious and requiring the crew to take ameliorative measures, like cotton-waste rags to breathe through, or down on the cab floor. Sharnbrook? Amphill? any others? 

I have in mind a pic where the engine is emerging from a tunnel, with some exhaust...

I've seen pictures of them at Gowhole Yard, so I assume they must have passed through Doveholes, or Cowburn and Totley Tunnels.

Edited by stovepipe

From what I've read Garratts didn't work north of Rowsley, and I'm not sure which lines east of Nottingham they may have ventured onto.  Melton Mowbray maybe?  My knowledge of the network of railways in the Nottingham area is scant indeed. The Elstree pic is nice but no sure if engines were worked hard through it. Probably were if getting 80 or 100 wagons moving!  The approach to Sharnbrook tunnel p43 Irwell Book of LM Garratts looks promising.

Still, I'm sure that the engine did need sometimes to work hard on 1-in-200 gradients with long heavy trains, so I shall continue with another pic with smokebox-end-leading this time...

Hi Rob, if you look closely on the Hattons page for the 266208, the archive picture shows a Garrett coming out of Elstree Tunnel.

http://www.ehattons.com/42906/Heljan_266208_Beyer_Garratt_2_6_0_0_6_2_47996_BR_early_emblems_on_cabsides_numbers_on_tanks_1/StockDetail.aspx

I'm sure I have seen pictures of them near tunnels in the 'Railway Memories' series, which covers the Midlands and the North as well, that might be where you have seen that picture you are thinking of.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie I have found good versions of this pic and several others via Google which I can use to 'get the atmosphere' of the Garratts at work. 

• RMweb Gold

I found those pics now - they worked regularly into Gowhole (New Mills) from Avenue Sidings, Chesterfield via Totley and Cowburn Tunnels. I know Totley at least had a gong inside the tunnel to let footplate staff know when they were reaching the end of the tunnel and needed to observe a signal. Quite handy if you were cowering on the floor trying to breathe.....

From what I've read Garratts didn't work north of Rowsley, and I'm not sure which lines east of Nottingham they may have ventured onto.  Melton Mowbray maybe?  My knowledge of the network of railways in the Nottingham area is scant indeed. The Elstree pic is nice but no sure if engines were worked hard through it. Probably were if getting 80 or 100 wagons moving!  The approach to Sharnbrook tunnel p43 Irwell Book of LM Garratts looks promising.

Still, I'm sure that the engine did need sometimes to work hard on 1-in-200 gradients with long heavy trains, so I shall continue with another pic with smokebox-end-leading this time...

There are a few pictures of them at York, and also around Pontefract and West Yorkshire in the Railway Memories series of books, and these seem to have been a fairly regular working for them judging by the text.

York might be the northernmost point on the network I have seen pictures of them though. I think they stabled in the old LMS shed area just South of the station.

Maybe that will give a little more hope to Yorkshire modellers who wish to invest in the model.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

They got across to Peterborough via Oakham. Nice aerial shot of one in my Britain's Railways from the Air Vol 1.

CHRIS LEIGH

I found those pics now - they worked regularly into Gowhole (New Mills) from Avenue Sidings, Chesterfield via Totley and Cowburn Tunnels. I know Totley at least had a gong inside the tunnel to let footplate staff know when they were reaching the end of the tunnel and needed to observe a signal. Quite handy if you were cowering on the floor trying to breathe.....

Ah, thankyou, such work must have been 'interesting' in the great days of steam! A gong was used at the summit of the 1-in-15 climb on the Rimutaka Incline in NZ to tell engine crew about the point where the gradient changed, with up to 5 Fell-type 0-4-2T engines spread throughout the train, in choking darkness, I travelled on such trains aged 4yrs in 1955.

I don't know what the grade was in Totley Tunnel but have taken a stab at Sharnbrook Bank with the tunnel south of Wellingborough, uphill at 1-in-120 for trains bound for the south... so this might be a heavily-loaded train in such a situation. Did someone say somewhere that Garratts hauled 80 loaded wagons over this route unassisted? That could be a considerable load...

If the lie of the land was in fact greatly different I'll just say, well, it was 1931. The fast lines, higher up, are out of sight to the left.

post-7929-0-47492300-1394670820_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

They got across to Peterborough via Oakham. Nice aerial shot of one in my Britain's Railways from the Air Vol 1.

CHRIS LEIGH

During the war they were extended to Whittlesey, to help by not clogging up the Peterborough yards. Somewhere in a book I have photographic proof.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

How  was  the  'gong'  actuated?  was  it  some  sort  of  treadle  arrangement>? I imagine  it  must  have  been capable of  making  a  loud  sound  given  the  noise  of  a  steam loco in a tunnel!

Edited by Stevelewis

That was the usual thing, a treadle against the inside face of the rail that the flange depressed, and the 'gong' quite often a length of hanging scrap rail hit by the hammer that the treadle actuated. Not seen a drawing of a linkage for one of these, come to that. Should think there were endless local variations.

I dont  think  i will be  setting  up a 'gong-sound'   speaker  inside a tunnel  on a friends  00 layout   (well not  yet  anyway)