Bournemouth Central Model Railway Group

Ceptic

Peter,

That is the end I am interested in and of course trains enter from the east--what a twit I am!

The pic you have kindly attached throws some light on the matter.I think the brick building on the right of the pic. leads immediately onto the station building in continuous form?Do you have a pic. from the outside? Also would this be the same in the 50,s?

Thank you,

Ed

• RMweb Premium

While that brick building and the main station building are notionally joined, it's only by a wall and some roof. Otherwise that building is a separate entity. When I worked at Bournemouth for a brief period in the mid 1980s, it was used by Red Star for parcels. The gap between it and the main building on the downside was the gated entrance to the platform for getting things on and off of trains from road vehicles. If I can find a picture illustrating it I will post it here later.

Edit: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18882-happy-birthday-bournemouth/&do=findComment&comment=183394

Edited by Ian J.

• 6 months later...

Any new pictures of layout build, please

Evenin' all.

Without due delay, here is the latest news / photos received from the BCMRG, in the past few days.  Apologies for the long wait. 

The past year, or so, has involved the members concentrating on / consolidating the scenic work.

The latest batch of photos are in two sets. The first, here, showing the attention paid to modelling the detail around the Bourne Valley viaducts.

post-7009-0-92725900-1445809779_thumb.jpg

M7 No.30111 hauls ECS, entering the eastern most viaduct's curve towards the Carriage Cleaning Sheds at Branksome or. onwards, to West station.

post-7009-0-84710200-1445810676_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-47708800-1445817537_thumb.jpg

In these two shots 30111 heads westwards, towards Branksome with an all stations Pull & Push, B'm'th Central to Swanage.

Note the extra detail added to the viaducts' piers, and the way the granite chippings / ballast gradually blends / merges with the embankment's

vegetation. Great modelling, is it not !

post-7009-0-95954200-1445817844_thumb.jpg

From a similar vantage point, LN No.30864 'Sir Martin Frobisher' hauls a Weymouth bound train made up of Maunsell stock.

post-7009-0-28463000-1445818398_thumb.jpg

And again. This time with WC No.34028 'Eddystone' plus Bulleid stock.

post-7009-0-17363600-1445818820_thumb.jpg

To conclude this batch of pics, courtesy and copyright of the BCMRG. A close-up of the Branksome Triangle's 'Gasworks Junction's' signal box. Now with it's approach tidied up and added to.  Note the point rodding, and the check rail added to the nearest rail line, not withstanding, the poor ol' 'Bobby' who, after climbing all those steps for his shift, now needs, no doubt, a sit down an'a cuppa .

All the best.

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 12

Hi there,

Impressed as I have been in Bournemouth for 6 years and am delighted to follow the progress of the model, and wonderful to see it progress to the West station as I live close by.  On the two viaducts by the gasworks, the one nearer the sea seems to have the remains of a post on the top of the parapet. Was this a solid wooden signal post?

Regards

Souwest (From the Other Souwestern line)

• Like 1

Excellent stuff Frank, good to see a model of 30111, the full size version was one of the batch of M7's I saw on my first holiday to Bournemouth in September 1963 :-), we'd always gone west thereof for holidays before that date.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As Ian rightly mentions, the building is separate from the main station building / overall roof section. I think it's currently occupied by Network Rail.

Yes it includes the box.

Looking very good at the viaducts :)

Frank,

Thank you for your latest posting.It is obviously one hell of a layout and one I would give my right arm to see.

However the next best thing is the updates you continue to provide.

Do they have any open day events?--distance no object here--North Staffordshire quite close!

Best regards,Ed

And thank you again for your past help ref. my efforts to recreate Bournemouth West/Central etc 

• Like 1

This set of photos centres around the area known as 'Cemetery Junction'. So called, maybe, not due to any railway connection, but due to the meeting of three major roads, the 'Charminster', the 'Lansdowne' and the 'Wimborne', right outside the cemetery gates.

These roads once carried the original, secondary / 'Side roads' Tramcar routes. hence 'Junction'. 

Like many other UK cities and towns, these tram routes were, later, converted to trolleybus operation.

post-7009-0-84256000-1446300229_thumb.jpg

This plush, fictional, property replaces St. Augustin's Vicarage, so don't go looking for it. The church being across the adjacent St. Augustin's road.  

Ray Huish, and his crew, look to be off to a Bank Holiday Stock Car race meeting at 'Matcham's' Park, (near Ringwood).

post-7009-0-59960400-1446300302_thumb.jpg

The view across the junction from St. Augustin's Road, towards the, now camouflaged WW2 pill-box. Disguised as a garden Summer house, complete with roof tiles, gutters  and painted on, false windows. This stood as a reminder of those dark days until the Junction's road layout was re-vamped in the early 1990s.

post-7009-0-74946800-1446306676_thumb.jpg

Viewed from the Lansdowne Rd. The traffic signals are fully operational and work to a automatically timed sequence.

post-7009-0-71327400-1446306763_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-51889800-1446307035_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-95759900-1446307157_thumb.jpg

Peering down through the complex wiring of the newly installed 'T/B Overhead' and it's supporting Standards, some carrying lighting (Night-time shots are on the way), and casting your eyes across to the Wimborne Road Cemetery gates. The most prominent feature of which were the twin 'Monkey Puzzle' trees on 'Sentry duties', outside the gates.

Alas, these twins have since succumbed to outside forces and old age. Though there are at least three still standing, lining the graveyard's avenue.

This family of trees are rarely modelled, and don't appear to be commercially available.

These were hand crafted by one of the Group's members and she / he would be well advised to enter into RTP production. They'd corner the market. 

"This time, next year. Eh, Rodney ?"

post-7009-0-41651100-1446307482_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-82451000-1446307999_thumb.jpg

Swinging around to the right, showing where the Charminster Rd. joins the junction. The trolleybuses in view are a, bought new in 1950, three axle BUT 9641T, heading out of town on route 28, passing an inbound, two axle, 1947/8 built, BUT 9611T on route 29. Seven of which were bought, second hand in 1959, from the operators of the Brighton system. Although being quickly converted to the Bournemouth style of destination display. they didn't receive the typical front staircase and/or exit arrangement. 

post-7009-0-18982500-1446313119_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, a line-side fire encroaches onto a neighbouring property in Beechey Road.

No need to worry folks, it's being attended to, from above and from below.

post-7009-0-60565600-1446313894_thumb.jpg

To wind up with, here's a shot of a couple of interlopers, sneaking onto 71B's patch, surrounded by, but not very well hidden by one Brighton built Riddles Std Cl.4, 2-6-4T, a bevy of M7s and Bulleid 4-6-2s. 

Locos from 'God's Whether Railway' were often well catered for at the MPD,

But,   Brit. No. 70050 'Firth of Clyde', from 66A, Polmadie (of all places) amongst this tribe of Sasanachs / Un-believers ?.

He must be taking his life in his hands !

All the best.

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 13

Hi there,

Impressed as I have been in Bournemouth for 6 years and am delighted to follow the progress of the model, and wonderful to see it progress to the West station as I live close by.  On the two viaducts by the gasworks, the one nearer the sea seems to have the remains of a post on the top of the parapet. Was this a solid wooden signal post?

Regards

Many thanks for your kind comments Souwest.

Regarding the post remains, I'm as puzzled (stumped even,  :scratchhead:) as you are.  

Looking at GE Street-view it appears that there are at least two. One on the south side of and above the Surrey Rd. arch, and one on the north side and above the arch over Gordon Rd.

The 1963 BTC 1:480 plan only shows the Down Outer Home, positioned at the Gasworks' end, just before the start of the viaduct's brick work, as shown in earlier layout pics. 

The only photo I've found, is a 1965 shot taken from the tail-end of the Up 'Belle', on page 106 of Chris Harris's 'Bulleid Pacifics, Waterloo to Weymouth.' Silver Link Publishing 2004. ISBN 1 85794 232 9. This, again, only shows the signal. 

Remnants of early inter-sig. box telegraph ?, perhaps.  Lightning conductors ?.

All the best,

Frank.

Re :- The summer house / pillbox.

Whilst asking around about this, one the kids said they remember it's upper half having a painted,  mock-Tudor (Oak beams & Plaster) finish.

This struck a chord with me. Does anyone else remember this ?

Cheers &

All the best, 

Frank.

Whilst asking around about this, one the kids said they remember it's upper half having a painted,  mock-Tudor (Oak beams & Plaster) finish.

Cheers &

All the best, 

Frank.

Frank,

I don't remember the mock tudor finish, but this was from the early to late 1980's.  I'm fairly sure that there was a photo in the Bournemouth Echo of it when the site was being cleared.

The Cemetery entrance looks great, (if you know what I mean), and also the public toilets !!!

• RMweb Gold

I had a second go at the night-time shots this morning as those I took last week didn't look as good when put on a laptop screen as they had in the camera monitor (to put it mildly). It also proved necessary to move/remove a couple of road vehicles which were causing blatant depth-of-field issues.

I'll be editing the results during the week and hope to have them ready for management approval next weekend so Will can pass them on to Frank for captions and posting. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But,   Brit. No. 70050 'Firth of Clyde', from 66A, Polmadie (of all places) amongst this tribe of Sasanachs / Un-believers ?.

He must be taking his life in his hands !

All the best.

Frank.

70051 made it to Eastleigh apparently, so there's always hope!

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/railway-photo-br-britannia-70051-firth-of-forth-eastleigh-1963-pacific-loco-133895141.htm

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a second go at the night-time shots this morning as those I took last week didn't look as good when put on a laptop screen as they had in the camera monitor (to put it mildly). It also proved necessary to move/remove a couple of road vehicles which were causing blatant depth-of-field issues.

I'll be editing the results during the week and hope to have them ready for management approval next weekend so Will can pass them on to Frank for captions and posting. 

John

Here they are John. Will sent them to me in two sets. My posting them on here was interrupted by me having multitudes of hospital appointments, recently.

Never the less, Christmas is nigh, so, let's 'Light up the Town'. (Well, Cemetery Junction, at least.)

post-7009-0-42182200-1449779765_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-00242500-1449780365_thumb.jpg

The by- roads are realistically lit by these 'warm glow' LED lamps.

post-7009-0-02949900-1449779630_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-68485000-1449779812_thumb.jpg

No.62, Ray Huish is, on this occasion, off to an evening Stock Car race meet (By the way, not 'Banger racing', those came later), again, at Matchams. Note the Stock car's Red roof.

Under BriSCA rules, at the time, this denotes the Driver to be of UK Star status, I.e :- Very Quick.

Note, also. the way the Zephyr's lowered rear end gives the impression of the load it's towing, and it's being under acceleration.

Other details to note are the wheel straps keeping '62' connected to the trailer, and the trailer, itself.

post-7009-0-91252200-1449779986_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-01454400-1449781203_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-27164000-1449781477_thumb.jpg

The sky is just past dusk and the trolley lamp standards have burst into light. Very reminiscent of a warm. balmy Summer's evening. The Conductor continues to sport his 'Tropical' issue uniform.

post-7009-0-92327700-1449796947_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, on the darker side of town.

All the best (Especially for Christmas),

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Excellent update Frank.

But the final picture, surely not in that part of Bournemouth?

It all looked perfectly innocent in daylight..........

Perhaps we should change the figures for a respectable married couple out for their evening constitutional, maybe with a dog.

John

• Like 1

Hi there,

Regards

Although I am not entirely sure to what you exactly refer, the viaducts were (from a photographic point of view) bedevilled by a line of telegraph poles in the 1950s.  See the picture of the Bournemouth Belle in my own Southern Region portfolio.  Link in signature!

Excellent update Frank.

But the final picture, surely not in that part of Bournemouth?

"Only the (street) names have been changed, to protect the innocent"

(With apologies to 'Dragnet' 1951 - 1959)  :)

Edited by Ceptic

• 1 month later...

Cheers &

All the best, 

Frank.

A mock tudor pillbox?  Only in Bournemouth.