Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

Excellent, keep it coming! We already know a V4 etch exists (albeit needing correction), but if people also want a Gresley K4, I'll add my name to that list as well.

What numbers have we got now?

Mike said the footplate on the V4 was too thick, being etched in 15 thou. But I'd happily take the etches as they are now and use the footplate as a template to cut out a replacement. I think that was all that was wrong - right, Mike? 

Numbers? Fetch the pig! 

Mike said the footplate on the V4 was too thick, being etched in 15 thou. But I'd happily take the etches as they are now and use the footplate as a template to cut out a replacement. I think that was all that was wrong - right, Mike?...

I think there were some other issues.

The B9 is on the same sheet as our Princess which has now slowed down considerably, V4 and B9 would probably fill another sheet so it looks quite possible now.

Mike,

Would there be any mileage in putting the V4 tender on a separable etch to include the 3500 gallon tender variants for V4, K4, K1/1, J38 etc?

Alan

....any mileage in putting the V4 tender on a separable etch to include the 3500 gallon tender variants for V4, K4, K1/1, J38 etc?

Doesn't Bradwell cover all those?

Yes he does; 3500 (£55) and 4200 gallon (£53) - you do get everything in them, though, and won't have to hunt around for castings. A "loco only" etch for V4 and K4 - as was done for the Princess - would allow people to mix and match their preferred products.

• RMweb Premium

Yes he does; 3500 (£55) and 4200 gallon (£53) - you do get everything in them, though, and won't have to hunt around for castings. A "loco only" etch for V4 and K4 - as was done for the Princess - would allow people to mix and match their preferred products.

Yes, and skim the back off some Bachmann tender axleboxes (easily got second hand). Same source for tool boxes.

Bradwell usually does "etches only" though. 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

Castings, not etchings.

No, I meant he may sell his tender kits as etches only - without castinga. His NER 3038 is actually advertised like that, and he gave me the larger NER tenders kit like that, though I get the impression I was the first as he had to calculate the price. So it may be that he would sell a 3500 in that way. It's not that his castings are in any way poor, but it saves costs especially if, like me, you have lots of Bachmann GS tenders lying around. 

(I know he also advertises his castings: https://traders.scalefour.org/DaveBradwell/castings/) 

• RMweb Premium

I've never promised anything about a K4, the V4 came out of a commission to build one (Ian Rathbone had that one on his demo at Warley last year). On the original etch the footplate was indeed .015" thick, as is the whole etch, what was missed off was the half etch at each side for the footplate angle to fit in. There were a great many other issues with it, it was done in something of a hurry to fill up the sheet for the Fowler 3P 2-6-2T. This latter is now in process of correction for production as I build one so I don't want to repeat the earlier etch for this either. Present intention would be to repeat the etch for V4 and tender without the errors.

No, I meant he may sell his tender kits as etches only - without castinga. His NER 3038 is actually advertised like that, and he gave me the larger NER tenders kit like that, though I get the impression I was the first as he had to calculate the price. So it may be that he would sell a 3500 in that way. ...

Genuinely useful to know.

I've never promised anything about a K4, ....

No, but it looks like there is some demand for it!!

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Ivan

Mike is busy at the moment with his layout (Herculaneum Dock) getting ready for a show...as well as testing out more etches which are ready....

baz

I don't think anyone expected a K4 to happen between now and Mike's next show....