Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

Will you be doing a build thread.

Probably after a thread on a Land Rover forum about my cars hydraulic anti roll bars.

It is currently drinking a £15 bottle of hydraulic fluid every month and getting worse.

Same reason no Warley this year. Don't want to risk the pump.

:cry:

Got to strip off lots of bits and replace pipes.

Everything is scarey until you try it.

And I can't even get my car in my garage due to being full of model railway.(it would not fit anyway, car too tall)

• RMweb Premium

Back to the 7mm RH 165

post-1643-0-74189200-1478589868_thumb.jpg

Cab and engine casing sides fitted, the original instructions suggested fitting the casing doors later but I'm coming round to the view that they are easier fitted to the sides first.

post-1643-0-47452500-1478590093_thumb.jpg

In this kit the radiator casing is built up as a separate sub assembly, makes it easier to round off the corners and fit the step into the side.

post-1643-0-71008700-1478590219_thumb.jpg

Some of the controls inside the cab are included, these were originally taken from the arrangement on PWM650 and non brake fitted DMs may well be different.

post-1643-0-93502500-1478590367_thumb.jpg

I've fitted the supports to the footplate this time, rather than the frames as usual.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Quick question Michael.

Do I need a frame jig?

What is the best way to remove parts from the etch?

What is a good tool for doing the rivets?

Thanks

Martin

Edited by MJI

• RMweb Premium

You don't need a frame jig, it's quite easy to assemble. I have been using the Poppy's Woodtech jig recently but these will not take all three axles of this loco at the same time. I have the 8 coupled box and would use this to set the outer axles.

All our frets are specifically designed to be cut out with tinsnips (or heavy scissors if you don't have any). All the tags are placed so as to be accessible, you will progressively dismember the fret as you cut the parts out.

Thee are a number of riveting tools on the market, I use a Metalsmith one and have recently acquired a GW models one. In the absence of a specific tool you can use a hard steel pin - rest the parts on a relatively hard surface (not too hard though) such as aluminium and tap with a hammer.

• RMweb Premium

More work on the 7mm RH 165 0-6-0 yesterday.

post-1643-0-67387900-1478962237_thumb.jpg

Cab roof now soldered on from below, access to the inside of the cab from now on will be through the hole in the bottom.

post-1643-0-27418700-1478962342_thumb.jpg

view from above, now for the engine casing top - which is the most difficult part of the whole build

post-1643-0-74472400-1478962416_thumb.jpg

This is the etch for the top, half etched to leave rivets, the plate joints have to be scribed on first

post-1643-0-46807200-1478962549_thumb.jpg

The large radius bend is made first, by hand over a suitably sized piece of tube, this is 1 3/8" copper tube but the diameter is not critical

post-1643-0-59863600-1478962672_thumb.jpg

The corner bends are more difficult, started by hand round 3/16" bar in this case. The bend is centred on the handrail pillar holes, the metal worked bit by bit with finger pressure. In kits with full thickness casings half etched lines inside can be used for these bends but in this case it's not possible.

post-1643-0-36761500-1478962885_thumb.jpg

Now the other side, neither side has been fully bent yet.

post-1643-0-34371700-1478963003_thumb.jpg

I do the final part of the bend in a vice, this one has extended jaws for this sort of work. Having started the bend it's quite easy to keep the bar in while tightening the vice.

post-1643-0-98311700-1478963116_thumb.jpg

Check fit both sides, the bend can be moved a little if necessary. Note that the metal has not been annealed for this operation, I might have done for full thickness but for half etch it makes the brass too soft.

post-1643-0-67063700-1478963250_thumb.jpg

Check the fit on a flat surface, this is critical, the engine casing is most of the torsional stiffness of the model. If it isn't flat and true it will easily pull everything else out of shape when bolted up.

post-1643-0-90834600-1478963353_thumb.jpg

From underneath a tack joint is made at each corner

post-1643-0-81852700-1478963422_thumb.jpg

Then checked again on the flat before completing all the joints

post-1643-0-08620900-1478963483_thumb.jpg

All back together again and parked on the test track for now. I'll leave it for a while now, no wheels at the moment so no more to do below the footplate and I'll have wait for the next test etch to get the radiator mesh.

post-1643-0-73940900-1478963597_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when you go from 9mm scale to 7mm scale in the same thickness of metal! I need to adjust the width of the mesh bars.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You don't need a frame jig, it's quite easy to assemble. I have been using the Poppy's Woodtech jig recently but these will not take all three axles of this loco at the same time. I have the 8 coupled box and would use this to set the outer axles.

All our frets are specifically designed to be cut out with tinsnips (or heavy scissors if you don't have any). All the tags are placed so as to be accessible, you will progressively dismember the fret as you cut the parts out.

Thee are a number of riveting tools on the market, I use a Metalsmith one and have recently acquired a GW models one. In the absence of a specific tool you can use a hard steel pin - rest the parts on a relatively hard surface (not too hard though) such as aluminium and tap with a hammer.

I have used a compass needle before, and sissors but this was thicker brass..

Managed 2 chassis before so I should be fine.

Thanks

Martin

Quick question Michael.

Do I need a frame jig?

What is the best way to remove parts from the etch?

What is a good tool for doing the rivets?

Thanks

Martin

I use embroidery scissors to cut parts from the fret, they have strong blades and are relatively cheap. David Parkins told me about them, (MMP owner).

Michael: I was mystified by that last photo, and comment.

Then I realised that top right should be the radiator mesh.... :O

Edited by JeffP

• RMweb Premium

I use embroidery scissors to cut parts from the fret, they have strong blades and are relatively cheap. David Parkins told me about them, (MMP owner).

Michael: I was mystified by that last photo, and comment.

Then I realised that top right should be the radiator mesh.... :O

Yes, you had to look closely. This is a very fine mesh and I'm pushing the limits of etching, bearing in mind that everything goes on one sheet to keep costs down and avoid the necessity of ordering in batches - one of the reasons why we can keep everything in production.

I'll have all the locos I'm working on at the moment (and some more) on my demonstration at Warley this weekend - stand A59, kit design and construction. Come along and have a chat about techniques and future plans.

Is there a tentative release date for the 7mm 48DS - just need to know when to start saving the pennies ........

• RMweb Premium

I would go but wrong side of pay day for me, then the parking costs and a car leaking £18 a litre hydraulic fluid.

I blew this years Warley money on a brass loco kit instead!

More work on the 7mm RH 165 0-6-0 yesterday.

view from above, now for the engine casing top - which is the most difficult part of the whole build

attachicon.gifWP_20161111_15_10_54_Pro.jpg

This is the etch for the top, half etched to leave rivets, the plate joints have to be scribed on first

attachicon.gifWP_20161111_15_13_16_Pro.jpg

The large radius bend is made first, by hand over a suitably sized piece of tube, this is 1 3/8" copper tube but the diameter is not critical

attachicon.gifWP_20161111_15_16_12_Pro.jpg

The corner bends are more difficult, started by hand round 3/16" bar in this case. The bend is centred on the handrail pillar holes, the metal worked bit by bit with finger pressure. In kits with full thickness casings half etched lines inside can be used for these bends but in this case it's not possible.

attachicon.gifWP_20161111_15_17_26_Pro.jpg

Now the other side, neither side has been fully bent yet.

attachicon.gifWP_20161111_15_20_04_Pro.jpg

I do the final part of the bend in a vice, this one has extended jaws for this sort of work. Having started the bend it's quite easy to keep the bar in while tightening the vice.

attachicon.gifWP_20161111_15_21_21_Pro.jpg

Check fit both sides, the bend can be moved a little if necessary. Note that the metal has not been annealed for this operation, I might have done for full thickness but for half etch it makes the brass too soft.

I'm currently building a 7mm 0-4-0 165 Ruston and have got to this part. Putting the bends in the top cover of the bonnet has stopped me in my tracks. If I mess this up then the whole thing is scrap. I was wondering if annealing it would help? Also, I don't have any of those bars to put in a vice and bend the bonnet around to get the correct radius of curve. If I anneal it and then solder one edge to the bonnet sides will it just follow the curve of the formers, or will it just buckle?

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't anneal this casing top since it's half etched - it would probably bend a lot where you don't want it to. If you do what you have suggested it might follow the shape at each end but almost certainly not in the middle where it will dip. The first large radius curve puts a lot of stiffness into it, as I have tried to show form the corner bends a little at a time, checking the fit as you go.