Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

I've definitely seen a contemporary newsreel film about the loco, with film of it in action (at one of Rob Foxon's film shows about 25+ years ago). I remember that it showed (via a model or illustrations) how the gearbox worked with the different engines cutting in. 

I can't remember if the soundtrack to the shots of the loco was 'real' or just diesel generic noises dubbed on to silent film.

• RMweb Premium

Are there any sound recordings of the Fell in action?

The Nim.

I've not heard of any but it must have been extremely noisy starting at anything like full power. I suspect the two 150hp "auxiliary" engines (the ones with the silencers on the roof) would have been working hard, the function of these was to power the superchargers for the four main engines. These would progressively cut out or back in depending on the load but starting a heavy train would require a lot of the available power. Almost all the photos of it working are between Manchester and Derby on fairly light loads (as were most of the trains on this route) but it was notorious for blasting soot out of the tunnel roofs with its angled exhausts. I didn't get to this line until about a year after 10100's withdrawal so I never saw it.

• RMweb Premium

By way of light relief from struggling with the Fell, I've been assembling another 7mm test etch.

post-1643-0-15315600-1470936708_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-70203400-1470936741_thumb.jpg

Slater's don't do any disc wheels this size so it will have overlays to fit over the spokes

post-1643-0-01681400-1470936812_thumb.jpg

This time I've allowed for the central drive from the start, this photo shows the knife edge over the trailing axle for compensation

• Like 6

By way of light relief from struggling with the Fell, I've been assembling another 7mm test etch.

attachicon.gifWP_20160811_18_13_26_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20160811_18_13_44_Pro.jpg

Slater's don't do any disc wheels this size so it will have overlays to fit over the spokes

attachicon.gifWP_20160811_18_14_06_Pro.jpg

This time I've allowed for the central drive from the start, this photo shows the knife edge over the trailing axle for compensation

Didn't dare ask about the 7mm 48DS so perhaps my patience will be rewarded .....! I thought it had been mentioned some while back but was way down the list.

I've not heard of any but it must have been extremely noisy starting at anything like full power. I suspect the two 150hp "auxiliary" engines (the ones with the silencers on the roof) would have been working hard, the function of these was to power the superchargers for the four main engines. These would progressively cut out or back in depending on the load but starting a heavy train would require a lot of the available power. Almost all the photos of it working are between Manchester and Derby on fairly light loads (as were most of the trains on this route) but it was notorious for blasting soot out of the tunnel roofs with its angled exhausts. I didn't get to this line until about a year after 10100's withdrawal so I never saw it.

Hi Mike,

Regarding the Fell, I have just found a photo of it passing Hest Bank northbound on 22/4/55, in BR green, on a test train.  You have probably already got it, but if not it is in the Cumbrian railway association book 'A north Lancashire railway album, from the cameras of Ian and Alan Pearsall', page 41.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We will have the test etch build of the Brush 200hp 0-4-0DE, Sentinel oil fired 0-6-0 and progress on the Fell at Expo EM north this weekend. Nothing new to sell just yet, the Consett A class should be ready for Scaleforum the following weekend. More progress with the 7mm RH 48DS this week, photos later.

• Like 2

V4 etches all gone, I don't want to repeat that one because there were major errors in it which had to be corrected with a supplementary etch. If there is enough interest I could do some more of a revised version - I think that's two so far but I'll need more than that to make it worthwhile.

Fowler 3P is waiting until I've built one then there will be a revised production etch.

Any developments on the V4, Mike?   I would definitely be interested in one.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a very successful Scaleforum, we sold all the Consett A class kits we took with us but we still have some here - price is £63 + £3.50 postage.

I had to fight long and hard all weekend not to buy one. Phyrrhic victory though... 

• RMweb Premium

...or possibly trying not to afford another one!!

Come on, Horsetan - I expected you to manage this! 

I fought all weekend not to buy the kit. I went home victorious (not having bought one). However, that victory comes at too great a price: I have no A class. 

Yes, OK, I should have just said, "I wish I'd bought one."  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Although I am now producing my own kits, the A Class is very tempting. I saw these locos frequently trundling between the Consett Iron Company Coke ovens at Winlaton Mill and the Derwenthaugh staithes with alternating loads of coal and coke. I crossed the line daily on the way to school added to which I also crossed the line to and from Blaydon shed  several times a week in my train spotting days. Happy carefree days. Thankfully one of these has been preserved. I was a little late to photograph these even though I must have had he opportunity.

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1