NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

From the photographs, this looks lovely. I do like that crimson lake (assuming that is the right name for the Midland red) and gold.

While I might pass on this one, (the LMS is not my modelling milieu) I happily paid comparable prices for City of Truro (both of them). The purchase of a model from the NRM is a douceur to that worthy institution.

Regarding the duplication, perhaps Hornby did get wind of this NRM model and re-release the 1981 4-4-0, though their release plans also included the Churchward County and Shire/Hunt as well, with at least the Churchward County in a trainpack. This would be a big 'reaction' to a more expensive NRM model and leads me to think that Hornby's reintroduction of the 1981 4-4-0s was coincidental.

It does always feel like a missed opportunity, when given the wide variety of prototypes unmodelled to date as RTR, that a previously modelled locomotive is the subject for a new release - particularly in this case for all those fans of Directors, Claude Hamiltons and Stirling Singles. Nevertheless, I am confident this could be a very nice model and look forward to a review here.

Apparently the NRM is pleased with the success of their commissioned models. May we look forward to many more.

Looking at the quality and paint/livery finish on the model I have this strange desire to throw all my "British Railway" models away and start again with a "Big Four" layout.

When I started the BR liveries could be regarded as adequate, but the more exotic "Big Four" ones were rather disappointing.

Good luck to those who stayed true to their "local" company.

According to Model Rail on Facebook yesterday (cannot get on at work so can't confirm the exact words) but they said Bachmann were not ruling out BR Black versions so fingers crossed we may get some yet.

I've been led to believe there were certain inaccuracies stated on there yesterday (not had time to look to qualify that) but it would certainly have been unfair for anyone to give that impression. I'll clarify when I do the review.

I assume that will be post-war black. I have always understood that the Compounds were always red pre-war.

I model early to mid BR.

As an aside, who will be the first to convert an NRM Compound into the original version. I did one from a GEM cast kit using a Caley Cardean tender, but this isn't it. Painted this one circa 1987....

post-6680-0-35160500-1317834818.jpg

Looking at the quality and paint/livery finish on the model I have this strange desire to throw all my "British Railway" models away and start again with a "Big Four" layout.

No need. The compound worked on BR in this livery at various times from 1959 through to the 1980's.

60's steam or 70/80's blue diesels, the NRM/Bachmann compound will not be out of place. You can even double head it with City of Truro on a railtour from London to Doncaster.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

What interests me is the fact that in addition to the limited edition NRM Deltic that Bachmann also announced a Farish Deltic. My hope is that the announcement of a Farish Compound will also follow. A compound in BR livery would be ideal motive power for the forthcoming NGS Inspection Saloon that I have on order.

Yipee, can now replicate the Ian Allan Special to Doncaster Works hauled by City of Truro and the Midland Compound (photo of which appeared in Model Rail) that I was a passenger on.....how many years ago?....must be at least 50 years ago :stinker: .

60's steam or 70/80's blue diesels, the NRM/Bachmann compound will not be out of place. You can even double head it with City of Truro on a railtour from London to Doncaster.

Sounds like it must have gone by way of Bournemouth and on to the S&DJR. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'd appreciate, while I'm on, any book recommendations dealing with the Midland/LMS 4-4-0 classes, if anyone can assist?

The couple I have are:

LMS Locomotive Profiles No.13 The Standard Compounds (Photographic Accompaniment to follow apparently) - lots of photos and pipe and rod arrangement drawings etc as well as lots of info on detail differences.

Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol.4 has a section on the MR and LMS Compounds.

Both of these are good books to have.

There is also:

Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives Vol.2 - Passenger Tender Classes which covers the Midland 4-4-0s, but I don't have this to comment on it.

I can't remember if the MR Compounds were covered in the Midland Engines series, but no doubt someone will fill you in if so.

Simon

Funds permitting, I'll have a second loco that will be converted into the LMS variant (LNWR Division), which will receive lined black. If it could be verified that Bachmann will eventually take the Compound in house and produce one of the LMS variants, then of course I wouldnt be pushed.....As it is, I'm not gambling!

If Bachmann brings one out I wouldn't be surprised if it was about the same price as NRM one is now, with rising costs in china and all so I agree not worth the risk, having said that I model 80s blue so won't be buying one anyway :beee:

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I model 80s blue so won't be buying one anyway :beee:

Simon

You'll have to try harder than that :stinker: Manchester Victoria, 17th April 1980:

post-171-0-26285100-1317852740_thumb.jpg

I saw 1000 running several times on the mainline in the late 70s/early 80s, a breathtaking sight and enough to convince me it must have visited my East Anglia terminus...

Martin

Yes, 'Invicta's' reply to the question about a Compound being painted in yellow and red is correct. There is an excellent black and white photo on page 48 of Brian Haresnape's 'Fowler Locomotives'. In June 1959. Lancaster Compound 41101 was repainted at Gorton Works with (wait for it!) yellow wheels, yellow cylinders, yellow boiler/firebox and yellow tender sides. Cabsides and splashers were painted red but the smokebox remained in black. The loco was used on a couple of excursion trains; the one to Blackpool had 'Daily Mirror Andy Capp Blackpool Special' on the sides of the tender. Shortly afterwards it was withdrawn for scrap.

Seen a picture of one of these still wearing LMS livery in 1953, pulling a Sheffield > Derby local up through Dore & Totley - Nice short train for anyone short of space :)

By 'LMS livery' do you mean pre-war Crimson, rather than wartime/post-war black? From very vague memory, and without reaching for any reference books, wasn't there at least one compound amongst the last engines still in Crimson Lake in their early BR years?

The couple I have are:

LMS Locomotive Profiles No.13 The Standard Compounds (Photographic Accompaniment to follow apparently) - lots of photos and pipe and rod arrangement drawings etc as well as lots of info on detail differences.

Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol.4 has a section on the MR and LMS Compounds.

Both of these are good books to have.

There is also:

Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives Vol.2 - Passenger Tender Classes which covers the Midland 4-4-0s, but I don't have this to comment on it.

I can't remember if the MR Compounds were covered in the Midland Engines series, but no doubt someone will fill you in if so.

Simon

An Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives Volume two, Essery and Jenkinson, covers Midland 4-4-0's in detail. I think it is still available. The whole series of four volumes is indespensible for MR enthusiasts as is Stephen Summerson's 4 volume series" Midland RailwayLocomotives". Vol 4 covers the MR 4-4-0s

Midland Engines No. 3 (Wild Swan) covers the Class 2 Superheated 4-40s (483 Class Rebuilds)

By 'LMS livery' do you mean pre-war Crimson, rather than wartime/post-war black? From very vague memory, and without reaching for any reference books, wasn't there at least one compound amongst the last engines still in Crimson Lake in their early BR years?

934 is recorded as lasting in Crimson Lake until January 1952 when it entered Derby Works. It had probably been renumbered as 40934 by then. Certainly at least one Jubille recieved it's BR number while still in Crimson Lake. There is a photo of 45572 Eire still in Crimson Lake with BR number, taken winter 1948-9, in "The Big Four in Colour 1935-50," (Jenkinson). However 934 is recorded as the last loco to carry Pre-war LMS Crimson Lake Livery.

I model 80s blue so won't be buying one anyway :beee:

AFAIK 1000 last ran under its own steam on 28 Sept 1983 when it took a private charter from York to Rochdale and back. I photographed it at Leeds. This was one of the few (if any) occasions during it's later years when it took a train single handed.

I have other photos of it at Leeds piloting 'Green Arrow' and the same combination climbing past the remains of Gowhole sidings. looked much better paired with 'Leander'.

Comparing the picture of the NRM Midland Compound with Derek's photographs of the prototype reminded me of a question I'd been meaning to ask: why are models of locos in pristine condition finished in satin rather than gloss?

Gordon

Comparing the picture of the NRM Midland Compound with Derek's photographs of the prototype reminded me of a question I'd been meaning to ask: why are models of locos in pristine condition finished in satin rather than gloss?

It's to some extent subjective, but gloss is one of those things that doesnt scale down; to the discerning eye, it looks overdone. It also tends to kill the detail.

Archived