Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

That means mine should too :sungum:

Edit. Only 1st brakes in stock, I ordered a 3rd as I have more than enough 1st class.

Edited by JZ

• RMweb Gold

And after the turbulent storms of yesterday ( no,not the weather ) a ray of sunshine from Merseyside.My porthole break (pre ordered) is winging its way to me at the guaranteed £24....yee hah!

The only downside of it...as I've just learned...is it's Yodel again.....ah well,at that price,mustn't grumble.Good thing I'm planning a pruning assault on the front terraces.As they say...blink and you miss them.Their idea of finding out if anyone's in is tap and run....

The main consignment of portholes arrived thus a week or so back & had to be re delivered despite the fact that we were in and the porch door was open.The lady delivering it moaned about having to climb the steps and questioned how we managed to live here.....such is the human condition,I suppose.

Now we have to repeat the process ....and again shortly when the other brake end eventually appears.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Yodel is quite the opposite where I am, unlike Parcel Force. I also get Hatton's to mark that it is be left with one of two neighbours if I'm out. Yodel have no problem with this. One one occasion PF took one back to their local distribution centre leaving me with a 50 mile round trip.

• RMweb Gold

The only downside of it...as I've just learned...is it's Yodel again.....ah well,at that price,mustn't grumble.Good thing I'm planning a pruning assault on the front terraces.As they say...blink and you miss them.Their idea of finding out if anyone's in is tap and run....

The main consignment of portholes arrived thus a week or so back & had to be re delivered despite the fact that we were in and the porch door was open.The lady delivering it moaned about having to climb the steps and questioned how we managed to live here.....such is the human condition,I suppose.

Now we have to repeat the process ....and again shortly when the other brake end eventually appears.

Arrived an hour ago...delivered by same lady...in the middle of said pruning exercise. Said she wes glad she didn't have to go all the way up to the front door.....poor thing....she must be quite an age....30 at least.

E mail from Hattons earlier...the other brake expected Tues 29th.This completes my order. Must get them to use Royal Mail this time...I use a Mail Collect service...more convenient.

Ian

A hint that may help you to avoid 'Yodel' with Hattons. When I queried with them why they hadn't followed my original order request when I selected 'Royal Mail' they advised they use 'Yodel' to speed up delivery, but if a customer specifically wanted to use Royal Mail their advice was to type this in the comments box on the order format. I now always type 'Please use Royal Mail for delivery'

• RMweb Gold

Ian

A hint that may help you to avoid 'Yodel' with Hattons. When I queried with them why they hadn't followed my original order request when I selected 'Royal Mail' they advised they use 'Yodel' to speed up delivery, but if a customer specifically wanted to use Royal Mail their advice was to type this in the comments box on the order format. I now always type 'Please use Royal Mail for delivery'

Thank you for that.Trouble is,I think I actually did that when I ordered....a very long time ago...so long ago I can't remember for sure!

I'll e- mail them and follow it up with a phone call.

Ordered my brake first from Hattons yesterday afternoon. It arrived today along with a BR Mk.I. Well pleased!

Had you ordered the MK1, or did they throw it in as a bonus gift?

Had you ordered the MK1, or did they throw it in as a bonus gift?

Thad'll be the day Pilgrim (John Wayne voice). The Mk.I was however a bargain at £22.00 and was just what I wanted so no losers. Full marks to Bachmann for consistency of colours too.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that.Trouble is,I think I actually did that when I ordered....a very long time ago...so long ago I can't remember for sure!

I'll e- mail them and follow it up with a phone call.

And indeed they have quickly acknowledged my e mail and amended the delivery details on the order. Full marks !

• 4 weeks later...

Email from Hattons

We have been informed by Bachmann that unfortunately the release of this item, viewable at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=38520 (LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd)

has been delayed and now isn't expected for 2-3 months due to a packaging issue. If you have a pre-order for this item we will ensure that we keep you up-to-date with any news and we apologise for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I received the same email and immediately thought of ill fitting/loose roofs in one of the magazine reviews. I wonder if this is the issue here? Will have wait for the model, of course, the same as everyone else, and see how the roofs are when they finally arrive.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Email from Hattons

Hi. I received the same email and immediately thought of ill fitting/loose roofs in one of the magazine reviews. I wonder if this is the issue here? Will have wait for the model, of course, the same as everyone else, and see how the roofs are when they finally arrive.

All the best,

Market65.

Presumably it failed the drop test. Quite why one should and the others not defeats me, but also perhaps illustrates how arbitrary a test of the packaging it is. A loose fitting part on the chosen model/box and it fails when the rest of the batch may be fine. Makes me wonder how the Heljan 128s ever passed the drop test, seeing as how many come with sandboxes loose in the packaging.

Edited by brushman47544

The 57ft third brake does have a different side outline to the other 57ft porthole coaches, but that shouldn't affect the inner clear plastic wrapper. I'm wondering if a proportion of the boxes were damaged in transit as Bachmann has been showing this model as 'in stock' on their website for several weeks. It was due to be received and released with the 60ft first brakes, which came out about 3 weeks ago, so I'm wondering if they are in the UK but with damaged packaging.

Bachmann website updated today to show 39-460 as " Out of Stock" - implying that,at one stage,they regarded it as having been in stock. Meanwhile,over on the "Rails" site,it still carries that retailer's notoriously-optimistic "Soon" tag.

DR

Re the Bachmann 39-460 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd BR Crimson & Cream:

The latest reports say that these coaches are “having to be sent back to China to be re-worked.”

I wonder if anyone from Bachmann might care to enlighten those of us who are eager to get one, what the problem is and how long this might take?

Re the Bachmann 39-460 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd BR Crimson & Cream:

The latest reports say that these coaches are “having to be sent back to China to be re-worked.”

I wonder if anyone from Bachmann might care to enlighten those of us who are eager to get one, what the problem is and how long this might take?

Bachmann home pages now reports that they have been returned to china after the discovery of decoration issues, not due till next year now.

Phil

Very unfortunate, as the full six coaches in the range had already been delayed an additional year by a manufacturing fault identified at the first attempted production run in July 2013. The problem with returning product to the factory in China, is that its likely the factory won't attend to the issue immediately, if it involves further models being produced, so they will wait for a new production slot. Bachmann say that the problem is a decoration issue that affects a percentage of the stock received, that indicates that some are OK. It might have been better to check the items in the UK and separate those that are OK which could be allocated to retailers to partly satisfy the pre-order market (those of us who ordered them 3 years ago). Bachmann do have labour to do this as when they get a large delivery, they call in their regional reps to help with the stock unpacking.