'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

You don't have to be mad to try lining something this size using transfers but...

...the 121's stripes applied using Fox lining. Took about an hour per side per stripe to get them even close to straight – a considerable proportion of that time being taken up by inventing new and interesting combinations of rude words! One thing I wasn't fully prepared for is that the transfers can stretch quite dramatically as you slide the backing paper away and then snake back to their former length. They also stick to your fingers rather better than to your model!

David

The 121 is looking very good. I'd forgotten you had to add lining - I thought the yellow panels were the last major obstacle ........

Now the fun begins ........ weathering!!

It would be great if you could use it in a new layout.

Stephen

Now the fun begins ........ weathering!!

Regrettably not quite yet mate. If I were at the weathering stage already I'd be a very happy chap – there's an awful lot of fiddly bits on a DMU (even a single-car) and Easybuild supply pretty well all of them! Since the last photo it's probably taken me six hours to apply a few more transfers (more to go but I forgot to order them) and fit one side and one end with its myriad handrails, door handles and grabs. Well most of the handrails, the two full-height ones are currently drying as they had to be sprayed green before the could be attached. Oh yes, and the route indicator's finished on one end too.

post-2991-0-77267900-1377352608.jpg

So, there's just the other side/end to do on the body plus the exhausts and the roof needs a final coat and tidy up before I can blast it all over with varnish. Then maybe a little gentle weathering... just to dull down the ex-works shine. DMU bodysides did seem to stay reasonably clean in the 1960s according to photos, albeit the dark green seemed to go matt fairly quickly. I guess they could be cleaned by the same carriage washing plants as any un-powered coaching stock?

Even then there'll be a bit of underframe detailing to add (stuff that's too fragile to have in place whilst its being regularly handled) so the underframe and bodies can be weathered (...separately  from the body I think).

D

I very much agree with Dons' sentiment in the post above....

Re small space O gauge layouts

there is another factor here which I know many of us feel, but seldom gets discussed

That is that many folk who model in O, are satisfied with less stock.....

I know modelers in other scales who also feel the same way,

but somehow, I'm happy to watch an O gauge layout with just 1 or 2 locos on it

This may have something to do with the "presence" and "mass" each O gauge loco can have?

Whatever it is, I think this can also be a factor for the space-starved modeller....

I've long thought that a modular approach to railway modelling is a good way forward

I've made many sketches of micro layouts, which can then be expanded,

adding further modules to extend the layout

This approach could mean that you get a small layout which acts as stand-alone

for small exhibitions or home use

but if you have a few friends or additional operators,

you can take the expanded version of the layout to a larger show,

or set up where space & time permit

....when SWMBO is at her sisters for the weekend, for instance ;)

Such an approach though, is more tricky than it sounds...

The most satisfying designs I could come up with,

consisted of baseboards of differing sizes - 

otherwise, you tend to get a similar design in each given section

and the differing sized baseboards tended to give the design a better flow..

As Don says, stick with O

and enjoy the challenge of small layout designing :)

Marc

Hi Marc,

I was to model a 7mm NG line then it grew into Down Ampney LOL!!

Like you Tallylyn was the inspiration, it also inspired dad's H&BLR, some 12 years or so ago.....all very addictive!

Kind regards,

CME

Well it looks like the property choices are narrowing down and that I was being a bit optimistic hoping for a third bedroom capable of accommodating 8'. The current favourite proudly proclaims: 6'11" x 6'7" (2.11m x 2.01m)! To be an optimist however... it's a room with a view of the countryside beyond the development!

So... I've lopped another foot (and the stray inch) of my 7-mil scale plan. Still two A5 turnouts but the cassettes are now only 18" long – a couple of short wagons plus a 'short' loco?

post-2991-0-69279000-1377759806_thumb.jpg

David

Well it looks like the property choices are narrowing down and that I was being a bit optimistic hoping for a third bedroom capable of accommodating 8'. The current favourite proudly proclaims: 6'11" x 6'7" (2.11m x 2.01m)! To be an optimist however... it's a room with a view of the countryside beyond the development!

David

I've got cupboards bigger than that! Can you find space in the garden for a well-insulated 10' x 6' (say) shed modelling room? The third bedroom would make a cosy workshop for the days and nights when the insulation just isn't sufficient.

Dave

I'd consider building a "scenic" section to the size of the room, comfortably transportable (tilt to its' end out the doorway) that can be assembled on trestles outside with a larger purpose-made fiddleyard attached. That's if I were restricted to that kind of space and wanted a more significant project - look at the indoors as your creation space, and outdoors as the 'play' space...

So... I've lopped another foot (and the stray inch) of my 7-mil scale plan. Still two A5 turnouts but the cassettes are now only 18" long – a couple of short wagons plus a 'short' loco!

David

For what it's worth (you've probably already worked this out for yourself), I reckon a class 08 diesel and two BR 12T vans comes out at a tad over 19" (29' 3" plus 2 x 20').  If you were able to squeeze a bit more on the cassettes, a class 14 (34' 7" over buffers) with two vans is about 20.5".  What is the length of the headshunt and can you take anything off that?  Alternatively, if you went down the industrial route, an Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST is 6.4" over buffers so you would be well within your 18" limit.

I still think there is something satisfactory about an integral fiddle yard in a micro layout and the latest design does provide all sorts of interesting possibilities.  I'm sure Marc Smith can advise!

Stephen

Hi David,

Well if you cannot find a large enough spare room in the properties you are viewing, you must hold out for a larger garden so at least you can place a fair sized shed in it.

Us chaps have got to stick together " buy in haste and repent at leisure" ;) .

ATB,

Martyn.

Hello David.

You have some interesting exploration missions to perform for as we all know space IS the final frontier.

Looking for some black holes have you considered setting up inline with the doorway so that you could expand out into that space, of course it would mean having the door open while you're at the controls.

A neater option to my mind would be to utilise the window ledge as these are averagely 9 inches or so.

And if you really get lift off and made it into space you could of course go vertically with most rooms being 8ft tall,

Just some lunacy.

regards

David

Just think - you (well actually SWMBO) could have decided to move after you'd completed the layout!

8' is more than enough room. In fact, if you took over the whole of the box room (this is part of your negotiating strategy), you could have two 8' x 2' layouts either side of a 2' 6" aisle! ;-)  Just let me know if you need any advice on the negotiations - my consultation fees are very reasonable ......

I can obviously advise on 'minimum space layouts'.  In fact, I seem to remember suggesting you reduced the scale of your ambitions from the first grandiose design to something like ....... oh, eight feet!

Now that is very nice - lots of urban grot!  I never cease to be impressed with your prototype finding skills.

Sorry to read of your pains with the class 121 and its yellow warning panel. It will be of no consolation for you to know that we've all been there with yellow warning panels, even just getting the colour right.

Stephen

Hi Alan, I am just reading this bit and I think, well I have two layouts, each 9ft x 2ft in my 9ft x 7ft Den,One is Trebudoc and the other my OO Glen Roy,

BUT I AM MOVING SOON AND WILL HAVE A GARAGE. :no: 

Andy :sungum:

I was liking the idea until reality bit... we live in Wales where 40 days and 40 nights of continuous rain is considered to be a reasonable summer ;-)

David

We all thought that you were moving! Perhaps a move somewhere drier for you might be worth a mention to SWMBO? I imported my wife from Wales 40 years ago and she is still amazed how much less rain seems to fall in our part of England!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

David,

Sorry to hear of your space troubles, makes me very grateful for what I have. Is there chance to use the spare room for just the scenic section and erect a portable fiddle in the hall as and when needed?

Keep looking (and smiling) - just point out the SWMBO that  6'11" x 6'7" (2.11m x 2.01m) is hardly big enough for a bedroom or home-office and could be difficult to sell on.... worth a try?

We all thought that you were moving! Perhaps a move somewhere drier for you might be worth a mention to SWMBO? I imported my wife from Wales 40 years ago and she is still amazed how much less rain seems to fall in our part of England!

Not ready to quit the Principality quite yet Dave. I may have only been here for 20 years (and therefore still be classed as a foreigner) and it may not be the land of my fathers but it certainly was the land of my great, great grandfathers so I have a certain affection and loyalty to the frequently soggy delights of this part of the world. ;-)

The move will however bring us closer to civilisation – two aspects of which, mains drainage and a decent pub within walking distance are surprisingly high on my wish list!

David

Is there a chance to use the spare room for just the scenic section and erect a portable fiddle in the hall as and when needed?

This suggestion sounds interesting and it's come up a couple of times, thanks Chris... however I think I'll just keep it under my hat for now. I suspect it might be somewhat easier to give a practical demonstration of why a portable section wouldn't be an issue than try to 'explain' why a speculative one might not be ;-)

However, and I'm not sure whether I'm actually making life more or less difficult for myself, I'm rather liking the idea of trying to make a genuinely minimum space layout work.

Warspite really hit the nail squarely on the head (thanks Stephen, as always :-) 

For what it's worth (you've probably already worked this out for yourself), I reckon a class 08 diesel and two BR 12T vans comes out at a tad over 19" (29' 3" plus 2 x 20').  If you were able to squeeze a bit more on the cassettes, a class 14 (34' 7" over buffers) with two vans is about 20.5".  What is the length of the headshunt and can you take anything off that?  Alternatively, if you went down the industrial route, an Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST is 6.4" over buffers so you would be well within your 18" limit.

I still think there is something satisfactory about an integral fiddle yard in a micro layout and the latest design does provide all sorts of interesting possibilities.  I'm sure Marc Smith can advise!

A little further juggling and it looks like 22" cassettes, a 24" headshunt and a pair of B5s will indeed fit into a pair of baseboards totalling 6'11" long. Dimensions which, if you think about it by Marc Smith's standards are probably a tad extravagant!

post-2991-0-92619300-1377800958_thumb.jpg

And I am coming round to the idea of introducing something semi-industrial into the mix – an Ixion HC perhaps as Stephen suggests or maybe even a Springside Peckett (even though Dave has pointed out that the latter isn't terribly true to one particular prototype it has a certain charm and it's a not unreasonably priced (IMO) whitemetal kit). No doubt Dapol's 08 will also turn up eventually!

TTFN...

Hi Alan, I am just reading this bit and I think, well I have two layouts, each 9ft x 2ft in my 9ft x 7ft Den,One is Trebudoc and the other my OO Glen Roy,

BUT I AM MOVING SOON AND WILL HAVE A GARAGE. :no: 

Andy :sungum:

Andy,

Sounds like a few more layouts then, not that you need any excuse!

Alan.

• RMweb Gold

It may be a small room but perhaps that will make it easier to keep it railway only. There is another option, make the layout fit along the wall but arranged so that it swings out to the diagonal which should then give you some extra space to add the fy to operate. You could just build it on the diagonal (the was an EM layout Rassbottom Brow which was built on the diagonal but it tends to hinder moving about the room.

Actually if you are happy with the last plan I would stick with that. An 04 would be another alternative form of motive power. For me I would be looking forward to the Dapol Terrier or for the slightly deeper pocket there is the Ixion H class (MW 0-4-0 brass body hence the higher price) if Dragon models have any left. Mine runs nicely and will look good in Cambrian livery just right for a layout built in Wales.

Don

Locos to consider are, Ixion Hudswell Clarke, Ixion Fowler Diesel, Dapol Cl 08, Dapol Terrier, Skytrex Cl 02. All R.T.R. & in the £200'ish price range.

Cheers 'Mac'...

...I've had a Dapol 08 on pre-order since shortly before Queen Victoria died, just got to decide what's ultimately's going to join it in 'micro land' following our impending move. My wish list currently looks like this:

DJH Class 03 (or just maybe an r-t-r Bachmann Brass 03 if I could pick one up a fair price on a certain auction site – they've been going for quite strong money recently!)

DJH Class 14

Ixion Hudswell Clarke

Springside Peckett

No particular order of preference and 'when' will very definitely depend on whether I decide to sell my Hymek and my 121 when it's finished.

David

Ta daaaah!

I now realise that I have overlooked two further whitemetal-based 'beginners' kits of compact prototypes eminently suitable for a 7-mil micro and they're both in the Tower Collection at £225 including wheels (and possibly motor though it doesn't say?). The Barclay is described in a review as 'Screw and glue' so eminently suitable for the hard of soldering then... :-)

Class 02 shunter

Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank.

I have to say that I do like the look of the Barclay (and it's price – within a couple of quid of Sprinside's Peckett). I think I'm starting to visualise 'industrials' sharing space with an '08' an '03' and a '14' :-)

David

There are lots of options when you start looking at small industrial locos. Ruston of this parish has several really good threads on his various builds. I like this one on the ex- Eric Underhill now ABS/zero Zephyrs Peckett W6 in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57249-abs-zero-zephyrs-peckett-w6-build/

Cheers

Dave

Archived