Class 303's in Strathclyde

Mark 37

Well I am now the owner of a 303 kit from Charlie (DC kits), so the research has begun. I'm looking for pictures from any members that are willing to post them of the 303's from blue/grey to strathclyde orange.

I've noticed that the kit comes with old style windows, ones that slide open at the top, but all of my images are post double glazing with high intensity beem fitted.

If you can help I would be in your debt.

Many thanks,

Mark

I've noticed that the kit comes with old style windows, ones that slide open at the top, but all of my images are post double glazing with high intensity beem fitted

Double glazing?

I am almost certain they never had this, as a unit I was on lost a window and the train had to be taken out of service on arrival back into Glasgow Central

As far as I am aware the first electric units in Scotland to get this were the Class 318

What you could do is retain the pressure ventilated windows (rather than the hoppers) and model one of the two Class 303 units that were refurbished but did not have the windows replaced

303055 :

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=28246

303056 :

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=17049

Hi thanks for some pointers.

Andy,

Most on google are of refurbs and copy right. I like to have the images infront of me when working (can't beat a photo on paper).

Mjkerr,

Thanks for the info on two never been changed, that could make life a lot easier. Double glazing, you could be right. I'm going on memory here and 20 years plus ago it looked like double glazing. The new windows made a massive difference when fitted.

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few of my photos, not yet on flickr. I probably have some more if needed.

Hope they are some use.

post-5613-0-36160100-1321998883_thumb.jpg

Craigendoran 303043 Helensburgh to Airdrie July 73 C1353

post-5613-0-04562200-1321998889_thumb.jpg

Craigendoran 303081 to Helensburgh Aug 73 C1356

post-5613-0-18632100-1321998893_thumb.jpg

Craigendoran Class 303 pass to Glasgow 11th May 85 C6904

post-5613-0-85398500-1321998899_thumb.jpg

Motherwell 303008 14th Aug 87 C8982

post-5613-0-87640600-1321998904_thumb.jpg

Motherwell 303042 pass from Dalmuir 14th Aug 87 C8983

David

David,

That's just the thing I had in mind. Would you happen to have some more you would like to share? I'd especially like any showing the underframes.

I appreciate the time taken to add these for me.

Many thanks for them,

Mark

post-5613-0-85398500-1321998899_thumb.jpg

Motherwell 303008 14th Aug 87 C8982

You've made a slight error there, as that is a Class 311

Look at the centre car

Next to the guards area and the final window there is a vent (two each side) only fitted to a Class 311

Possibly making this 311108 instead (can't be 311098 as it didn't have black window surrounds with SPTE logos applied)

• RMweb Gold

You've made a slight error there, as that is a Class 311

Look at the centre car

Next to the guards area and the final window there is a vent (two each side) only fitted to a Class 311

Possibly making this 311108 instead (can't be 311098 as it didn't have black window surrounds with SPTE logos applied)

Many thanks for this, I think this must be the only 311 I ever photographed!

Mark 37,

Here are a few more photos taken before and after refurbishment, I don't have any underframe detail ones. All my other photos of the class are similar to these, just passing trains or in stations.

post-5613-0-35593000-1322073259_thumb.jpg

Craigendoran 303043 Aug 73

post-5613-0-10587200-1322073264_thumb.jpg

Craigendoran 303089 29th March 89 C11807

post-5613-0-49126400-1322073252_thumb.jpg

Craigendoran 303042 29th March 89 C11809

post-5613-0-75234000-1322073288_thumb.jpg

Glsagow Cental 303040 2nd March 91 C15636

post-5613-0-12432300-1322073283_thumb.jpg

Glasgow Central low level 303073 to Dalmuir 29th Feb 92 C16713

post-5613-0-03461400-1322073270_thumb.jpg

Glasgow Central 303009 24th Feb 95 C19961

post-5613-0-29040600-1322073276_thumb.jpg

Glasgow Central 303009 24th Feb 95 C19971

David

66C,

Thanks for the link and reminding me to look for Glasgow Blue Train. I came across an old booklet about electrifying the Glasgow to Balloch line with origonal interior photos (that takes me back to being about 4 years old when I used to sit behind the driver and watch the line passing by). Most of my searches have been for Strathclyde transport 303's.

David,

Again thank you. Do you live around the Helensburgh area (lots of photos from there)? The photos of the ticket office are like the old Dalmuir stations office (I had asked in another thread ages ago for pics of it). I did think of doing Dalmuir station as a layout (idea now binned). Not very pretty but loads of train movements.

I'm surprised Charlie does not do a disk of photos (even research ones). In my hobby of RC warships and others work from plans, but nearly all of the suppliers can also sell you disks of photos and detail drawings of the hard to see 3D areas. May be something for railway kit suppliers to try out.

All the best for now,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I read somewhere very recently that the surviving supposedly "preserved" Class 303 is to move to a museum where one of its driving cars is to be sectioned and converted into a cafe!!!

If true, I think it can be safely said that EMU preservation in this country is pretty much all but a dead duck what with the amount of VEP's and CIG cars that have also been lost very recently as well!!

There were two John. One at Bo'ness, and another at Summerlee, Coatbridge. The latter has gradually been eroding away to nothing since it was 'saved'.

If ever there was something that ought to have been in Glasgow's new Riverside Museum, I think a Blue Train (or even part thereof) should have been it.

The North Wales 303 there is in Greater Manchester, rather than Strathclyde livery. SPT clearly didn't have exclusive rights on bad taste in paint back then ;)

There were two John. One at Bo'ness, and another at Summerlee, Coatbridge. The latter has gradually been eroding away to nothing since it was 'saved'.

If ever there was something that ought to have been in Glasgow's new Riverside Museum, I think a Blue Train (or even part thereof) should have been it.

The North Wales 303 there is in Greater Manchester, rather than Strathclyde livery. SPT clearly didn't have exclusive rights on bad taste in paint back then ;)

The one at summerlee was a 311 rather than a 303 - in later years it was a sandite unit. As far as I'm aware, only one driving car and the centre car survive and have been pretty much abandoned at the bottom of the site. The 303 at bo'ness is complete though and represents one of the refurbished units with the hopper windows.

I've built 3 of the 303 kits now, 1 in blue/grey, 1 in strathclyde and 1 converted to a 311 in blue/grey. My strathclyde one has the refurbished front but I've not sorted the windows or corridor connections yet.

Andy B)

• RMweb Premium

A "blue train" is the iconic Glasgow Train. You would have thought one would make it into the Riverside Museum.

Thanks for all the photos guys. The blue and blu/grey ones really take me back!

I might have said it here before, but if I win the lottery (or some such as I don't play the lottery) my first Bachmann/Heljan/Hornby/whatever commission for my own line of models would be 303s. Going on the models that are being commissioned by retailers these days it almost seems just a matter of time...... or am I jumping the gun on the seasonal froth list?

I spent 8 years commuting into Glasgow Central on them to school and then college, they were great trains of true luxury and style.

So very true!

Cheers,

Angus

I can get some photos of the preserved one at Bo'ness if that would be of any use to you.

Calum Sellar.

Calum,

That would be very nice of you, if you could get some pics.

The one at summerlee was a 311 rather than a 303 -

Andy B)

Andy,

Thanks for pointing that out. I did think of running up there for a photo session when I first read the post, but it would have been a waisted journey.

Many thanks,

Mark

I've built 3 of the 303 kits now, 1 in blue/grey, 1 in strathclyde and 1 converted to a 311 in blue/grey.

Andy B)

After really starting to study pictures. I have the fealing that a Strathclyde, blue/grey, carmine and cream would be nice to own if I could only clear it with the boss. No chance of that this side of Christmas.

Best regards,

Mark

Phil,

Thanks mate. I don't normally do Flickr because the images are copyright although I have found a way around that for personel use (I here all the Flickr subscribers gasp in the background).

All the best,

Mark

PS Phil, got your PM, looking forward to them.

I might have said it here before, but if I win the lottery (or some such as I don't play the lottery) my first Bachmann/Heljan/Hornby/whatever commission for my own line of models would be 303s. Going on the models that are being commissioned by retailers these days it almost seems just a matter of time...... or am I jumping the gun on the seasonal froth list?

I trust that they might find some drawings somewhere. I've been hunting for drawings for years to do a model in S scale and haven't found anything yet - they are possibly buried in an unclassified pile at the NRM. :D I think I remember contacting the company who make the 4mm kit to find out their source of drawings and they said they had to do their own measuring up.

Jim.

Archived