A visit to Bere Alston

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

A few week ago, a colleague and I visited Bere Alston station whilst en-route to West Cornwall (OK, it wasn't actually on the way in the normal sense of things, but we made sure it was!).

It's still a very characterful place, despite the extensive rationalisation of the1960s and 1970s:

post-57-0-81235400-1322773535.jpg

post-57-0-04177700-1322773555.jpg

post-57-0-60667400-1322773571.jpg

post-57-0-06499400-1322773584.jpg

post-57-0-61385400-1322773597.jpg

The interior of the old signalbox

post-57-0-53708000-1322773609.jpg

post-57-0-96218700-1322773623.jpg

post-57-0-72883700-1322773638.jpg

The former Up side building and awning - the up platform didn't have anything more extensive than this.

post-57-0-23945500-1322773653.jpg

post-57-0-46574800-1322773668.jpg

The diagram on this poster looks as if provision has been left for the Tavistock extension!

post-57-0-97874400-1322773683.jpg

All photos away from the public platform taken in accordance with safety requirements and with appropriate PPE

Just north of Bere Alston the road crosses the railway on an attractive stone over bridge. This section will see trains again when the Tavistock extension is built:

post-57-0-39879000-1322773927.jpg

post-57-0-09606300-1322773947.jpg

post-57-0-29593300-1322773965.jpg

post-57-0-28881500-1322773981.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was actually built as a watch tower to look out for the fabled "20 thousand Cornish Men" sneaking in over Gunny Viaduct without even paying for a platform ticket!

I have it on good authority from an impeccable local source, that this happens most Sunday mornings!! :O ;)

• RMweb Gold

But he's on the Cornish side - so is he keeping the English out, or forcing illegal English immigrants back over the Border?! :P

Knowing my Dad he's probably trying to set up his own independent realm! :P :lol:

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

G'day All,

Great thread. Anyone out there ever retraced the line to Callington from Gunnislake ? I know there is some great youtube footage about this branch, but it would make for some great pics.

Cheers, Gary.

Hi Garry,

As a kids we used to play all around Gunnislake (grandparents lived in Calstock) and over the summer holidays we used to cycle up from Calstock to Gunnislake and play on the old station site before the houses where built on it.

The last time I tried to walk the route was the summer of 2003 as it was the summer that I went to university. You used to be able to walk, unofficially, out of the housing estate on the site of the former station at Gunnislake and walk either along the track bed, or close to it, as a lot of the route had reverted to nature. One of the main problems was that sites such as Latchley and Luckett, are now in private ownership so you can't get near the track bed. Callington Station has residential and industrial buildings on top of it, although if I remember correctly there is one of the old goods buildings still there, but I don't think it was the main shed, just a small store.

The easiest section to walk, back in 2003, was from Gunnislake up to Chilsworthy Halt, where the platform is still present, along with the bridge. You could continue up to Latchley, although about 1/2 a mile before the station part of the track bed is now a private road, so again not sure 'one' is meant to be on it! You can't get to Latchley station as this is now a private house, but I think the platform is still there. Seven Stones Halt if you didn't know it was there you would miss it! As the site has completely reverted to nature. Luckett is again in private ownership and you can see it from the road, although you can't get too close.

The remaining route from Luckett up to Callington is fairly easy to walk, but again over grown, although there are plenty of roads near to the track bed to make it easier. I might have some photos somewhere and if I do I will try and scan them in over the holiday.

Hope this is some use!

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

We did back in the 80's.

Somewhere I have a few photos of the smaller intermediate stations where parts of the stations remained but by then Callington was just a rough parking area so I don't think I took any there.

Will try and dig out the photos I do have .

Hi Nick & roundhouse,

Please post the pics you guys have as I'm keen to see them as many other modellers would be too. As I'm still in the planning stage of the new layout 'Callington', pictures of the area would benefit for landscape detail.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick & roundhouse,

Please post the pics you guys have as I'm keen to see them as many other modellers would be too. As I'm still in the planning stage of the new layout 'Callington', pictures of the area would benefit for landscape detail.

Cheers, Gary.

Hi Gary,

At the moment the photographs are 'somewhere' in my parents house, so I am not sure even if the film was developed so you will have to bear with me. Really your best bet is to watch the footage on youtube, and look at OS maps of the area if you want to get the landscape right for the period. The photos that I took really where just of an overgrown landscape which isn't how it would have looked before 1964.

Regards,

Nick

Beer al//stone

As a resident (Devon-born, but always the outsider here in the village...), I think it's pronounced as all on word... Biralstun. The "Bir" is quick, but rounded, and the "stun" is dulled. There used to be four pubs here, but now there's one...and I gather that the viaduct is (as mentioned earlier) still a well-used footpath between trains..

Archived