SR 25t Pill Box brake van

Bartb

Thank you chaps for the advance warning.

I don't think that there was any LSWR influence in the design of this prototype. However, operational circumstances took them in number to the Withered Arm, and so they became an Era 3/4 icon all over the Southern network, including the far-flung West. Perfect behind the N class mogul, just as good behind the Q1 and T9, at home in Padstow, and alongside a Gate-stock pair.

The addition of this little gem is an essential step in the right direction for 4mm freight working, I shall be looking to place an order asap.

PB

Thank you chaps for the advance warning.

I don't think that there was any LSWR influence in the design of this prototype. However, operational circumstances took them in number to the Withered Arm, and so they became an Era 3/4 icon all over the Southern network, including the far-flung West. Perfect behind the N class mogul, just as good behind the Q1 and T9, at home in Padstow, and alongside a Gate-stock pair.

The addition of this little gem is an essential step in the right direction for 4mm freight working, I shall be looking to place an order asap.

PB

I believe these brake van were in fact based on a SECR brake van underframe and due to number actually they were widespread on the Southern Region.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A link to the Bachmann engineering sample image and other information links about the 25t Pill Box Brake Van can be found on my blog here

£12.40 full RRP not to bad either for such a good looking, well needed model. Feel sorry for Cambrian though, but to be fair, it isn't one of his most accurate or easy to build kits.

Edited by 2ManySpams

Apart from the delicious possibility that they got the drawings in a mess when dealing with the door issues, why were the first batch left-handed with respect to duckets and the rest right-handed?

Apparently, after the left-handers went into service it was discovered that if the guard was sat at the ducket lookout, the door blocked the guard in when opened, so subsequent batches were built right-handed.

The SR two are on an advance order at Hattons already.

Another long wait in order. I am still not going to start the Cambrian kit sitting in the To-Be-Built drawer.

I too hope Cambrian will suffer too much with the loss of this model to the RTR. They appear to be active with several 2012 new products. I hope the planned new LSWR Brake Van is a Diagram 1543 to complement the Wenfordbridge traffic with BWT's.

They escaped all over the system, and not simply after the SR went Vacuum brake. I have asked on various internet sites, without response, why they were in use in the Midlands (for example) by 1956 - they can be seen in photographs occasionally. My theory is that the higher tare 25Ton than other standard brake vans (20 Ton) was found useful.

Photos here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srbrakevan Includes one from 1991.

Some were also built for the MoD during WW2 and had long lives on their internal systems.

Paul Bartlett

Paul Bartlett

• Like 2

I built one of the Cambrian model versions of this brake van, and it was minefield of variants which did not help when attempting to build. The instructions were as clear as mud but once i took the plundge and built it it was a nice model to have, then 2 weeks later Bachmann announced they were going to release the model and I thought oh well these things happen.

I did use as reference a few photo I took of the West Somerset Railway brake Van, but I believe this one to be an ex MOD version and also the one at the Yeovil Railway centre.

• Like 1

To expand on what Paul says, two lots each of 20 brake vans were built for the MoS in 1941/2. They were a modified version of the SR 25T van, the most noticeable difference being the two vacuum cylinders mounted on the end platform. 24 vans remained in the UK and 16 were sent to the Middle East and Persia. One van was seen at Quishon, Israel, in 1988 and may be preserved.

Of the UK vans, many were modified in some manner by the army over the years and at least 10 went to preserved lines. Two were sold to BR (LMR) in 1949 and were numbered M360327 and M360328. One still exists at Longmoor Camp with a couple of other army wagons as part of FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Areas) training ground. However, neither the wagons nor the track they stand on have any connection with the original Longmoor Military Railway.

It is probably a vain hope but it would be nice if someone could produce a conversion kit to produce an MoS van from the Bachmann model.

Finally, here is an example I photographed at Longmoor in August 1964.

Tony

post-11270-0-51030000-1323354170_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I hope we see an attachment for the air reservoirs on these as they are a very prominent feature.

I have a Cambrian kit part built, for Tony's Longmoor project. The problem is that I couldn't find find an exact match for the air reservoirs, and have purchased MJT component #3006. But does anyone know of a more accurate item?

Bill

Can I politely ask the OP to correct the thread title to "brake" not "break" or it will be difficult to search for later when its off the front pages.

SR 25t Pill Box brake van

?

John

The title was BRAKE not BREAK so I don't understand why you said it!!!

Edited by Bartb