SR 25t Pill Box brake van

Bartb

• RMweb Gold

My review of the 'Pill box' brake vans can be found on my blog here. Although primarily written around the SR versions my comments are applicable for the BR versions too, and I have also noted the chimney error on the LH ducket verison and also a couple of small livery errors on what is otherwise an excellent range of models and great for the Southern modeller.

I have now updated my review on my blog to correct a few grammatical errors that had crept in due to trying to post in a hurry on a Sunday morning before going out for the day!

Guest Belgian

I think the legendary Manea van (which was there when I lived in Cambridge over 15 years ago) is a BR design.

There used to be a four wheel SR van in Mainline freight blue in New England yard at about the same time, which appeared to still be active but I've not seen in on recent trips through Peterborough. Are there any of these still still in departmental use?

The models look really good.

I photographed the Manea one last week*. It is a left-hand duckett one with even planking and is now rather the worse for wear. It appears to be the same colour as the one in the March photo, which also has a feft hand duckett. I imagine they are one and the same.

JE

* I can't get it out of my camera as I've lost the lead.

• Like 1

Hey Guys. Would these still have been in use in the SR in the period 1966 - 1969, specifically the Central or SouthWestern divisions and if so what would they have been used for and what would represent the correct livery for this period?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Plenty of photos here, http://paulbartlett.....com/srbrakevan showing how widespread and long lived they were - although, apologies, most are later than your period.

This is the prototype of the engineers version, which no one has mentioned being in the shops http://PaulBartlett....kevan/e20a539dc All five were in the display cabinet that Bachmann arranged for me at the Midland Railex Butterley do in August. post-387-0-42347400-1349550877_thumb.jpg

Paul Bartlett

PS the Mainline blue one at Peterborough was condemned a couple or more years ago and I believe broken up in Sheffield.

• RMweb Premium

Will the tooling allow the manufacturer of the plated version as I quite fancy a Dutch liveried one like this:

http://paulbartlett....539DC#h3acebce1

On a side note, sad to see copyright watermarks spoiling the images on this site now, I know they are a necessary evil in these days of rampant image thievery but it doesn't make them any more tolerable.

Edited by John M Upton

On a side note, sad to see copyright watermarks spoiling the images on this site now, I know they are a necessary evil in these days of rampant image thievery but it doesn't make them any more tolerable.

No problem if you buy a print.

It is after all just an advert on line to encourage you to do just that.

No prints sold = no income for Paul = (eventually) no more pictures.

Simples.

The alternative is to feed the thieves with false information regarding photos and wait until they publish it as their own work.

That happened recently with a site where I supply the owner with a few photos.

I did have the desired effect of exposing the numpty.

Bernard

• Like 7

No problem if you buy a print.

It is after all just an advert on line to encourage you to do just that.

No prints sold = no income for Paul = (eventually) no more pictures.

Simples.

The alternative is to feed the thieves with false information regarding photos and wait until they publish it as their own work.

That happened recently with a site where I supply the owner with a few photos.

I did have the desired effect of exposing the numpty.

Bernard

This is the first comment I've had on this. Yes some income does help the site, digital downloading can supply very good detail for 50p. I accept the criticism, but it was a difficult decision forced on me by TMC.

You can see most of the detail on the full size Slideshow setting.

Sometime I will get around to altering this to a smaller more acceptable water mark, but any change has to regenerate every one of the 25K or so photos on the site.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Paul, you offer an unparalleled resource to modelers. There's nothing like it anywhere else. Very happy for the copyright to appear, and happy for you to receive some income for all this effort. I'm sure like many others, I wouldn't like to work for free.

Carry on Paul.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Well a pair have found their way to NZ today.

Looking at the underframe of the later SR version the hand brake rod goes straight up by the ducket.

In Figure 46 of SR wagons volume 4 the handbrake should be on the other side of the van, diagonally opposite the stove.

the brake gear on the cross shaft is loose so if the shaft can be persauded out of it's mountings it should be an easy fix.....

Roger

Right, an update, The first thing to get loose is probably the vertical hand brake rod, perhaps cut it off at floor level as otherwise it will break :-)

The V hangers have spigots glued into the chassis bottom, slight working with a knife gets them loose.

The cross shaft wire is glued into the v hangers, get one end out and scrape off the glue to let the handbrake and the other brake pivot off the shaft.

Reassemble with the handbrake in the right place and add a bit of glue, finished.

Roger

Edited by 21C123

My pair arrived the other day too, Took the bodies off, masked up the bufferbeams, added the brake detail and sprayed them matt black, including the wheels:

320371_4663910598518_91057244_n.jpg

580246_4663903438339_1176857440_n.jpg

579578_4663904478365_1122556584_n.jpg

404099_4663901718296_262821442_n.jpg

- Jack

I first started to take a close interest in railway history before the final years of steam, and an interest in model accuracy at much the same time. British r-t-r at that time was so awful (imho) I thought it was sufficient cause to start rivet-counting. But when r-t-r reaches the level of quality of this item, then I cheerfully hand my rivet-counting specs to others. Nelson knew when to stop looking.

I wish to think that Bachmann will add to the SR-liveried variants quite quickly; I doubt if there will be too many. Customising? Well, maybe. I like clever weathering, but I shall wait until it can be done well rather than rush a poor job. And until then my branch freights will have a rich choice of immaculate brake vans.

PB

PS. Of course I am not satisfied quite so easily. I still want a similar choice of ex-LSWR 10 ton Brake Road Vans (D1541 et al.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the underframe of the later SR version the hand brake rod goes straight up by the ducket.

In Figure 46 of SR wagons volume 4 the handbrake should be on the other side of the van, diagonally opposite the stove.

Roger

So while it seams Bachmann have comendably gone and producded left and right hand duckett types, they have used exactly the same roof molding (based on the right hand style) and the same underframe (base on the left hand style) for all varients. If they had stuck with the same roof and underframe setup then at least one of the varients would be correct out of the box.

Guest Belgian

I first started to take a close interest in railway history before the final years of steam, and an interest in model accuracy at much the same time. British r-t-r at that time was so awful (imho) I thought it was sufficient cause to start rivet-counting. But when r-t-r reaches the level of quality of this item, then I cheerfully hand my rivet-counting specs to others. Nelson knew when to stop looking.

PS. Of course I am not satisfied quite so easily. I still want a similar choice of ex-LSWR 10 ton Brake Road Vans (D1541 et al.)

Hear, hear! I passed through exactly the same metamorphosis, getting into P4 then S4 and then back to 00 ('cos there ain't time enough left).

I also heartily endorse the Road Vans and also the final LSWR/WD patterns - we need them! :rtfm: (<-That's my petition for them, plus a 700, a Q and new Bulleid coaches).

JE

Edited by Belgian
  • Like 3

Jeremy,

A bit like this except a wee bit smaller and the wonky handrail and window bars straightened?

This is awaiting lettering (there is also a Finney 1401 awaiting a similar fate) before earning its keep on Beaminster Road.

Don't forget the invite for a running session.

Tim

IMG_0578.JPG

• Like 2

Guest Belgian

Jeremy,

A bit like this except a wee bit smaller and the wonky handrail and window bars straightened?

This is awaiting lettering (there is also a Finney 1401 awaiting a similar fate) before earning its keep on Beaminster Road.

Don't forget the invite for a running session.

Tim

IMG_0578.JPG

Thank you, I accept!

That is, I assume, a Smallbrook Studios one? I think the wonky railings give it a well-used look, commensurate with your chosen timespan, in which the Road Vans were reaching the end of the line (I nearly said 'road').

JE

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If anyone wants a weathered BR bauxite one I've found this exceptional offering on ebay whilst browsing.A BR grey one is available too.Very well done.No connection with seller.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a253cba1d

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a253c4df1

Edited by gwrrob

Hey Guys. Would these still have been in use in the SR in the period 1966 - 1969, specifically the Central or SouthWestern divisions and if so what would they have been used for and what would represent the correct livery for this period?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hello Steve,

Sorry for the belated reply. One use possibly overlooked was the very popular Brake Van specials on the Wenfordbridge branch, mid '60s. Possibly half dozen or more behind a BWT, each packed with gricers. There should be a photo somewhere.

PB

Right, an update, The first thing to get loose is probably the vertical hand brake rod, perhaps cut it off at floor level as otherwise it will break :-)

The V hangers have spigots glued into the chassis bottom, slight working with a knife gets them loose.

The cross shaft wire is glued into the v hangers, get one end out and scrape off the glue to let the handbrake and the other brake pivot off the shaft.

Reassemble with the handbrake in the right place and add a bit of glue, finished.

I took the liberty of trying this, and took pictures at the same time, so please do tell me if i've done it wrong!

Before

292800_4831321783693_1356447236_n.jpg

after

381824_4831324743767_354112895_n.jpg

also took the liberty of removing the NEM pocket from the end i'm not using while I was at it, would be advised to do before you fit the brake rigging!

222544_4831322783718_548914657_n.jpg

3450_4831323223729_1758519213_n.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

JP