Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

...the Jubilee had not been a good seller and that this version ('long firebox' )was not in their plans at that time...

They lost the sale to me to Hornby there, as I went for a 2A boilered Patriot 7P instead; simply because if I was having a Jube to represent the LMS 4-6-0 express types it was the sloping throatplate version that was wanted. Wonder if they picked the wrong version? The sloping throatplate boilers to these eyes supply a better visual balance to the resulting locomotive.

They lost the sale to me to Hornby there, as I went for a 2A boilered Patriot 7P instead; simply because if I was having a Jube to represent the LMS 4-6-0 express types it was the sloping throatplate version that was wanted. Wonder if they picked the wrong version? The sloping throatplate boilers to these eyes supply a better visual balance to the resulting locomotive.

I think at the time (my memory is gonig these days) Bachmann opted for the short firebox version because it had never been offered as r-t-r before.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Ian, in which case.....

How about a revamped Thomas range to 'current standards' complete with DCC sound fitted variants. Could have Ringo's voice and totally non-authentic ppshhhh chuff, ppshhhh chuff, ppshhhh chuff, poop, poop etc.

How else to stop the madness ?

I take issue with that. We've had some damn good posts here, very thought out, reasoning explained in full and quantified with evidence from years past.

"Madness" it clearly isn't, but it is a well constructed and argued debate. I know that's hard for some people to indulge in, but please don't kill the good nature of this thread with such unwarranted description.

Ian, in which case.....

How about a revamped Thomas range to 'current standards' complete with DCC sound fitted variants. Could have Ringo's voice and totally non-authentic ppshhhh chuff, ppshhhh chuff, ppshhhh chuff, poop, poop etc.

Never been much of a Thomas fan, not even when I saw him at the nene Valley Railway. Wouldn't mind an Ivor the Engine train set though - Pish te kufff Pish te kuff

• RMweb Premium

Never been much of a Thomas fan, not even when I saw him at the nene Valley Railway. Wouldn't mind an Ivor the Engine train set though - Pish te kufff Pish te kuff

Perhaps one for a "Hornby 2012 - Unreasonable Speculation Thread"? :locomotive:

I'm ready to make a genuine prediction that there will be no Thomas & Friends resin buildings (Skaledale equivalents) in the 2012 Hornby catalogue.

There is a short note in the most recent Hornby Collector* that indicates something to the effect that the Thomas & Friends resin buildings featured in the 2011 catalogue (which I suspect did not materialize) have been withdrawn from the range and will not appear.

While it is unreasonable to extrapolate a decision on buildings to the Thomas & Friends range in general, I see a gradual shift away from this whole product line and would not be surprised if no new Thomas items are introduced in the future. We've closed the page on the cheap toys thread, but Olly the Little White Van may have some bearing on Hornby's thinking here.

* I don't have my copy handy and can't quote it verbatim.

Wouldn't mind an Ivor the Engine train set though - Pish te kufff Pish te kuff

Yes with sound*! Naturally featuring the steam pipes appropriated from Morgan the Roundabout's steam organ. Different function keys would be assigned to each note.

It's just not Ivor unless he can 'sing' in the Grumbly and District Choral Society (under the direction of Evan the Song of course).

* Though I really don't know where you would fit a speaker in a 4mm Ivor model.

18 DAYS !

(At 22 days to go = 385 posts)

(At 21 days to go = 455 posts)

(At 20 days to go = 497 posts)

(At 19 days to go = 519 posts)

Now 546

Phil, can I say, very gently, that I'm sure we don't need a day by day countdown and number of posts... It is after all clearly shown by the post count and the date stamp on each post. I'm sure I'm not the only one finding that it grates slightly?

• RMweb Gold

While it is unreasonable to extrapolate a decision on buildings to the Thomas & Friends range in general, I see a gradual shift away from this whole product line and would not be surprised if no new Thomas items are introduced in the future. We've closed the page on the cheap toys thread, but Olly the Little White Van may have some bearing on Hornby's thinking here.

Oh, have you been reading the financial pages too? Olly appears to have had a degree of success in attracting further investment for its maker but many other cartoon etc series aimed at the childrens' market have not, especially on your side of the pond (according to reports here) - seems you have to have a Walmart contract to guarantee any success for toys linked to the tv series as well.

• RMweb Gold

Not exacly a kettle, as we know it, but how about a Turbomotive ?.

The cost of the extra tooling needed for the running plate cowling, would, possibly, be recovered by that saved on the simplified valve gear!

Not that this would necessarily count against it, but I've always felt that the Turbomotive is too closely associated with the Harrow and Wealdstone crash for it to be viable as a model. I can't see a picture of it without thinking of that tragedy. Same goes for "Fury" - it's a fascinating prototype but linked to a fatal accident, and thereby "tainted", in my view. I'm not saying that there can't be models of these engines but I can't see a toy manufacturer going near them.

Mind you Airfix do a Titanic, so that blows my theory out of the water ...

ps - on a related note, anyone know what the Turbomotive sounded like? Did it chuff, or make a continuous turbine-y sort of noise?

• RMweb Gold

Mind you Airfix do a Titanic, so that blows my theory out of the water ...

ps - on a related note, anyone know what the Turbomotive sounded like? Did it chuff, or make a continuous turbine-y sort of noise?

I think you are right. The Titanic disaster, while much more extensive in terms of human loss, was "just" an accident at sea, while train crashes are widely and rightly seen to be preventable.

As for Turbomotive sounds, I can well imagine the thought of trying to create them and satisfying a critical audience would be giving certain purveyors of sound projects sleepless nights.

Guest dilbert

I think you are right. The Titanic disaster, while much more extensive in terms of human loss, was "just" an accident at sea, while train crashes are widely and rightly seen to be preventable.

The extent of loss of human life due to the sinking of theTitanic could have been reduced had there been better utilisation of the lifeboats and more of them. That 3rd class passengers were locked within the doomed ship makes this event even crazier.

I think there is another factor that shouldn't be ignored and that is called 'living memory' - there can't be many people alive who can recall the day that this catastrope occured, so its impact will be less emotional to everyday folk... dilbert

I think there is another factor that shouldn't be ignored and that is called 'living memory' - there can't be many people alive who can recall the day that this catastrope occured, so its impact will be less emotional to everyday folk... dilbert

Well, assuming we're talking Harrow & Wealdstone, there's probably plenty of folk in their seventies that do, but I doubt that the cohort would be sufficiently significant to dent sales of a model, assuming it's on one of the manufacturers' hit-list.

Well, assuming we're talking Harrow & Wealdstone, there's probably plenty of folk in their seventies that do, but I doubt that the cohort would be sufficiently significant to dent sales of a model, assuming it's on one of the manufacturers' hit-list.

However it was not the Turbomotive that was involved in the Harrow & Wealdstone crash. It was the "rebuilt" turbomotive. The original Turbomotive was a bold attempt to improve the performance & efficiency of the steam locomotive. By all accounts it was reasonably successful, in spite of being a non standard one off, and then caught up in wartime problems of maintenance and spares shortages. Did not K's produce a kit at one stage, and I believe similar locos were running in Sweden for many years.

Roger.

• RMweb Gold

I think the far bigger impediment to sales would be the fact that many most younger folk haven't even heard of the Turbomotive, let alone 'Fury' and might therefore be much less inclined to put it on their birthday or Christmas list. Mind you grandad might well say 'I remember when I were a lad ...' of the Turbomotive but not, I think, of 'Fury'

As for its place on a hit-list unless someone is looking for a simpler/cheaper to make 'big engine' I reckon the Turbomotive stands no more chance of being there as the F***.

Guest dilbert

True... there is a fascinating theory about how living memory can be (for want of a better word) 'transferred' across generations. Churchill is reckoned to have had a living memory of about 160 years, because of the influence his grandfather had in raising the young one. Apply that to the H&W accident and there are people who will have potentially retained a previous generation's memories...sufficient to affect potential sales ? Probably not.

I still recall some of the stories my Grandfather told me about the Battle of the Somme in WWI - some of it horrible. Over time this transfer obviously gets diluted... it's still an interesting theory... dilbert

As for its place on a hit-list unless someone is looking for a simpler/cheaper to make 'big engine' I reckon the Turbomotive stands no more chance of being there as the F***.

Oh that, the F***, prettier than Princess Anne?

Aye.

(Our glorious leader might find himself in Tower Models if he carries on in this vein)

Archived