Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

Phil, can I say, very gently, that I'm sure we don't need a day by day countdown and number of posts... It is after all clearly shown by the post count and the date stamp on each post. I'm sure I'm not the only one finding that it grates slightly?

Dare I say that Im finding the stats post followed by the certainty of the 'not again post' more hillarious each day that passes....

I'm ready to make a genuine prediction that there will be no Thomas & Friends resin buildings (Skaledale equivalents) in the 2012 Hornby catalogue.

There is a short note in the most recent Hornby Collector* that indicates something to the effect that the Thomas & Friends resin buildings featured in the 2011 catalogue (which I suspect did not materialize) have been withdrawn from the range and will not appear.

While it is unreasonable to extrapolate a decision on buildings to the Thomas & Friends range in general, I see a gradual shift away from this whole product line and would not be surprised if no new Thomas items are introduced in the future. We've closed the page on the cheap toys thread, but Olly the Little White Van may have some bearing on Hornby's thinking here.

* I don't have my copy handy and can't quote it verbatim.

I also feel that the Skaledale range in gerneral has seen its zenith and will be scaled back (should that be Skaled back...?). I always feel that it sits for ages on dealers shelves, often appearing in "reduced" lots too. Nice product, but quite pricey. Maybe a move over to the old Airfix style of plastic kits, though it must be a new range as the older ones moved to Dapol.

Stewart

Despite modelling German railways, I find this topic of great interest, always nice to keep abreast of the U.K. market.

One thing worries me a little reading the wants/desires/dreams(nightmares?) is that scant attention is paid to the youngsters starting out in this hobby. Does a 12-16 year old really know, care or understand pre-grouping, or even pre privatisation?

I would think that the market needs to consider what is about on todays railways, including preserved line.

Giving current and new release models the numbers of loco's that can be seen today would be my suggestion, and hope for new releases.

92214 "Cock of the North" anyone!

Mike

Dare I say that Im finding the stats post followed by the certainty of the 'not again post' more hillarious each day that passes....

It filters out those who have a sence of humor, and those that don't, like a later post and its replys sorts out those who are disrespectfull and those who have a few more manners.

• RMweb Gold

The extent of loss of human life due to the sinking of theTitanic could have been reduced had there been better utilisation of the lifeboats and more of them. That 3rd class passengers were locked within the doomed ship makes this event even crazier.

I think there is another factor that shouldn't be ignored and that is called 'living memory' - there can't be many people alive who can recall the day that this catastrope occured, so its impact will be less emotional to everyday folk... dilbert

Well, I can - it's seered on my memory. Hours of torment, discomfort, profound dread that it would never end ... oh wait, that was the film.

• RMweb Gold

True... there is a fascinating theory about how living memory can be (for want of a better word) 'transferred' across generations. Churchill is reckoned to have had a living memory of about 160 years, because of the influence his grandfather had in raising the young one. Apply that to the H&W accident and there are people who will have potentially retained a previous generation's memories...sufficient to affect potential sales ? Probably not.

I still recall some of the stories my Grandfather told me about the Battle of the Somme in WWI - some of it horrible. Over time this transfer obviously gets diluted... it's still an interesting theory... dilbert

I once met someone who was on the 'Titanic' and she couldn't remember a thing about it (mind you she had been a babe in arms at the time). I think the only handed-down memories we are likely to be given are the ones 'they' want to give us - carefully edited before hand-over otherwise we might all being buying Dean Goods and Robinson RODs in WWI livery to work trains of cheery Tommies off on leave.

Not that this would necessarily count against it, but I've always felt that the Turbomotive is too closely associated with the Harrow and Wealdstone crash for it to be viable as a model. I can't see a picture of it without thinking of that tragedy. Same goes for "Fury" - it's a fascinating prototype but linked to a fatal accident, and thereby "tainted", in my view. I'm not saying that there can't be models of these engines but I can't see a toy manufacturer going near them.

Mind you Airfix do a Titanic, so that blows my theory out of the water .

Hmm, Your slant on t' Turbomotive has got me thinkng, Barry Ten....

l don't recall Hornby releasing their mk.2 BoB in the guise of 34066 'Spitfire'...Their mk.1,...yes, in lined Malachite, as 21C166.

l would have thought, seeing how Hornby now own Corgi, that they've missed the opportunity, (whether delibrately, not wishing to offend, or not,) to include said loco with an 'Aviation Archive' 1/72 Spitfire in a presentation pack. Much better than any china plate, IMO.

There's nothing to stop them doing 34065 'Hurricane' tho'.

And then, there's the Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train ?...

Am l getting morbid, or what ??

.....Does a 12-16 year old really know, care or understand pre-grouping, or even pre privatisation?......

I would have thought 12-16 is almost a "dead zone" for youngsters being interested.

The children's train set market is probably for 4 to 8/9/10 year olds. After that most kids are long out of toys these days.

Any 12 - 16 year olds interested in model trains, are probably getting into the hobby, but I would have thought them to be relatively few in number.

Any 12 - 16 year olds interested in model trains, are probably getting into the hobby, but I would have thought them to be relatively few in number.

I must agree. During this period of my life I did buy things that I now wish I hadn't, but I was well aware of railway history by this stage. Perhaps because my favourite locos were from a Pre-Grouping company.

Of 116 boys in my year at school (all boys Grammar, to my mind I'd have thought a likely source of railway enthusiasts), I only found one other railway enthusiast. We didn't get any real stick for it though. I got more stick for liking Green Day...

One thing worries me is that scant attention is paid to the youngsters starting out in this hobby. Does a 12-16 year old really know, care or understand pre-grouping, or even pre privatisation?

I would think that the market needs to consider what is about on todays railways, including preserved line.

I would have thought 12-16 is almost a "dead zone" for youngsters being interested. The children's train set market is probably for 4 to 8/9/10 year olds. After that most kids are long out of toys these days. Any 12 - 16 year olds interested in model trains, are probably getting into the hobby, but I would have thought them to be relatively few in number.

I must agree. During this period of my life I did buy things that I now wish I hadn't, but I was well aware of railway history by this stage. Perhaps because my favourite locos were from a Pre-Grouping company.

Of 116 boys in my year at school (all boys Grammar, to my mind I'd have thought a likely source of railway enthusiasts), I only found one other railway enthusiast.

Hornby has not forgotten this market segment. As a demographic, RMwebbers do not match the interests of 12-16 year olds. I see people in this age group participate on the Hornby forum. Generally speaking they are interested in contemporary post-privatization railways. Models like Tornado and Blue Rapier are designed expressly for this audience. This remains a big focus for Hornby. They continue to be very focused on train sets, trak mats and contemporary models as the incubator for future life-long model train enuthusiasts - as they should be.

The "free" models in the Hornby Collector's club are directed at this audience too. The purpose of the Collector's Club is to hook this audience as model train enthusiasts beyond the Christmas tree trainset.

While it is unreasonable to extrapolate a decision on buildings to the Thomas & Friends range in general, I see a gradual shift away from this whole product line and would not be surprised if no new Thomas items are introduced in the future. We've closed the page on the cheap toys thread, but Olly the Little White Van may have some bearing on Hornby's thinking here.

Oh, have you been reading the financial pages too?

Not recently, ;) but it's all over their financial reports.

Olly appears to have had a degree of success in attracting further investment for its maker but many other cartoon etc series aimed at the childrens' market have not, especially on your side of the pond (according to reports here) - seems you have to have a Walmart contract to guarantee any success for toys linked to the tv series as well.

Sometimes British imports for the very young work here, sometimes they don't. Postman Pat and Fireman Sam are invisible here but familiar to my nieces and nephews in Australia. To succeed here, merchandising needs to function on a huge scale to serve the likes of Walmart, Target and Toys R Us. Looking at Toys R Us, you can see there is an incredible amount of competing brand interest.

Thomas was lightning in a bottle. It's hard to imagine "Olly" will have a remotely similar impact. Years ago, as a teenager and familar with the Reverend Awdry's opus, I thought there was huge intrinsic potential for operating Thomas models. That was before they were available, and it proved to be the case, but primarily driven by a TV show which I never anticipated.

Not recently, ;) but it's all over their financial reports.

Sometimes British imports for the very young work here, sometimes they don't. Postman Pat and Fireman Sam are invisible here but familiar to my nieces and nephews in Australia. To succeed here, merchandising needs to function on a huge scale to serve the likes of Walmart, Target and Toys R Us. Looking at Toys R Us, you can see there is an incredible amount of competing brand interest........................

Obviously "Bob the Builder" must have done well, otherwise "Yes we can" wouldn't have swept Obama to power (!)

Not exacly a kettle, as we know it, but how about a Turbomotive ?.

The cost of the extra tooling needed for the running plate cowling, would, possibly, be recovered by that saved on the simplified valve gear!

Would this be in original condition or as a rebuilt?

"Original Turbomotive" in 4mm scale has only been turned out as a full kit by K's. Crownline did a fairly ambitious conversion kit for the 1980s Hornby "Princess", which I think included a complete firebox. PDK keep threatening to bring out a full 4mm kit, but I'm not sure it will happen given that they have so many other plans.

In answer to the earlier question about its exhaust "note", I have read that it was continuous when working under power, with no "beat" as such, since there were no cylinders or valve gear, but turbines and gearing.

NB: the 1952 rebuild of Turbomotive made a great many fundamental changes, particularly frames (the new ones shared the equalised "Duchess" driving wheelbase, instead of the asymmetrical "Princess" one that it had previously) and four cylinders and Walschaerts again being very similar to those used on the "Duchess". It kept its 6'6" driving wheels, though, which is the diameter Stanier originally considered for the "Duchess" before going up to 6'9"). It was only a "Princess" from the rear driving axle backwards, thus making it a hybrid.

Since many like to froth about new builds in 1:1 scale, would anyone dare campaign and fundraise for a full-size new Turbomotive? The drawings probably still exist......

That's your OBE gone then. :D

Hardly. He's doing the Donald Sinden thing, and hoping for a Knighthood..... :jester:

Archived