Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

Presumably the tooling for this would be cheaper than starting afresh.

Maybe yes, but to do so you'd make the existing tooling incapable of producing B Set coaches. If you were to produce new tooling for the B Set then it would be a "no-brainer" as you could then make something with the necessary slides to give the variations.

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the auto-trailer conversion of a B set coach (the one with the one large window).

Ahem! I did, in post #469.

Actually the autotrailers to diagram A32 weren't converted from B-set coaches, but were built in 1936 as autotrailers. There were only two of them. They were probably at Oswestry for all of their lives.

Other, similar but 3rd (later 2nd) class only, autotrailers were diagrams A33 (2, in 1937) and A44 (12, in 1955) converted from diagram D117 brake thirds; diagram A34, 4 built as autotrailers in 1939 as copies of diagram A33, and 11 intermediate trailers (i.e. no guard's or driving compartments) converted in 1953/4 from diagram C75 thirds.

Info from John Lewis, GW Autotrailers, vol. 2, Wild Swan, 1995.

From Hornby in 2012? I don't really expect much. (Kernow Dapol have the O2 and Gate stock coming in 2012...maybe.)

A T9 #734 in Wartime (WWII) Bullied black.

It would be lovely to have a 1945-47 WC original cab with an improved smother mechanism including sound cams.

More Maunsell's in SR Green-not likely, but I could be surprised.

I'm quite suprised that no one has suggested using Class 40 or Peak bogies to make the Southern triplets... Or maybe I missed it.

l think these are being considered as a commision, by either Kernow Model Centre, via Dapol, or Rails of Sheffield, via Bachmann... l'll have to check, to be sure.

But,.. as Hornby can't / don't / won't produce a Class 40 to higher specs. (other than the Lima effort, in the 'Railroad' range,....Railroad ??, for British modellers ??) 44, or 45. l think it would be best left to Bachmann

The Lancashire & Yorkshire 'A' class 3F 0-6-0 fits on the Bachmann MR 3F chassis so there's another for starters. And, yes they have that wow factor when produced in model form. Its probably down to the short wheelbase tender that most hauled around. Then of course the high pitched Belpaire variety could be done at a later date to bring in further sales.

I wonder what the % of the design cost the loco chassis of a tender loco is? If it is resonably high, Bachmann or whoever would be daft not to produce as many saleable locos it can off one chassis.

Trying desperately to steer the conversation back to "reasonable speculation"...!

The more I look over the Hornby L1s I have and a friends B1 which is currently sitting at home on Copley Hill, after renumbering, the more I'm convinced that we are going to see the B2. There's a surprising amount of common toolings used between the two models - including, but not limited to, the electric lighting, cylinder drain cocks, buffers, and even the motor arrangement uses the same components, albeit to different wheelbases.

If you take into account the (delayed) B17 from the same stable and the possible presence of a Thompson B2 in next year's catalogue seems more logical.

There again, I could be completely wrong and we'll see the LNER garratt instead...!

Trying desperately to steer the conversation back to "reasonable speculation"...!

The more I look over the Hornby L1s I have and a friends B1 which is currently sitting at home on Copley Hill, after renumbering, the more I'm convinced that we are going to see the B2. There's a surprising amount of common toolings used between the two models - including, but not limited to, the electric lighting, cylinder drain cocks, buffers, and even the motor arrangement uses the same components, albeit to different wheelbases.

If you take into account the (delayed) B17 from the same stable and the possible presence of a Thompson B2 in next year's catalogue seems more logical.

There again, I could be completely wrong and we'll see the LNER garratt instead...!

Using the same logic we should have had a Bachmann Standard 78xxx long ago.

Using the same logic it's more likely to be a P1 than a Garratt. :jester:

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I really don't think so. Unless Hornby are looking to collect a whole load of LNER' Bs' I can't see the point in splitting down their market by adding another relatively close variant when there are fresher furrows to plough elsewhere. In the meanwhile they are planning a whole raft of B17s (unless they've trimmed things back) plus they have plenty of B1 variations to go through before they go up a digit. If they do follow the LNER thread I think a J6 is possibly the most likely or maybe another 'Grouped' 0-6-0 but not a third 4-6-0 in a very short row.

Edit to insert missing ')' in the hope it will add some sense.

From Hornby in 2012? I don't really expect much. (Kernow Dapol have the O2 and Gate stock coming in 2012...maybe.)

A T9 #734 in Wartime (WWII) Bullied black.

It would be lovely to have a 1945-47 WC original cab with an improved smother mechanism including sound cams.

More Maunsell's in SR Green-not likely, but I could be surprised.

Hello Ken

This sounds rather like a Western Division wish list to me. I am sure that it would be reasonable to speculate on some ex-LSWR buildings in the Scenecraft or Skaledale ranges. Suitable subjects abound: Camelford, Eggesford, Topsham, Sherborne, Corfe Castle or West Meon would all be equally acceptable. But I guess that I shall settle for an Adams radial, with the 58ft pair behind.

PB

The K&WVR with the well-famous Oakworth, the Lanky 2F 0-6-0 and the "Old Gentlemans" saloon?

That lovely Lanky 25 class. That's just so typical of the small 0-6-0s similar in size to the SECR 'C' class that Bachmann have coming which are potentially such good model subjects. Be good to see Hornby do some to their best standard.

Have you had a look at the L&YR club saloon under restoration at Oxenhope? It's just a palace of cut class, gorgeous woodwork and deepsprung furnishing. My wife got into conversation with the two chaps working in it, and we got a personal tour of this marvellous item. The thought occurred to me that if Hornby ever fancied other luxury vehicles as an extension of the Pullman theme, here was a jewel.

B2 not a particular success overshadowed by the B1 and rebuilds of the B17 and a very small class , the only attraction would be that that they are all named. IMHO highly unlikely.

More likely if!!! anything new for the LNER would be a P2 (very glamourous) or a Q6 or J27 both long overdue goods engines.

Lastly the D11 seems to pop up all the time. However if anyone would make that one surely Bachmann would as they have the tender already. As would the A2/3 be an easy option also with existing tender.

Might Hornby be tempted by Tube stock? Iconic London transport in time for the Olympics? I think on novelty value alone lots of modellers would be tempted irrespective of whether it's sub-surface or deep level. I can also imagine a Railroad version being popular with children and tourists alike.

Guest dilbert

As the Hornby freight range could with some (a lot of ?) extra spice, how about the introduction of steam era containers. The AF, BD & K containers exist in RTR form, but how about some of the other varieties to fill those Open wagons or add to goods bay facitilities, such as the CB (open bulk), SL (ceramics, tiles), CC (hopper), D1 & H3 (construction material) etc... all sorts of shapes and sizes.

On the NPCCS front, the GW designs are one of my favourites, a revamped ex-LIMA outside framed Siphon 'G' (IIRC the body moulding was pretty good, but as you progressed downwards beyond the solebars things the quality became ropey - if not revamped, a RailRoad candidate ?

Some re-liveried/renumbered milk tankers ?

Another favourite is the dia. P 'Monster' - regardless of a specific diagram, these were versatile and attractive vehicles and would be popular with GW/BR(WR) community ... dilbert

Archived